Paris Museum caves to Islamic threats over art.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2015, 10:18 AM
RE: Paris Museum caves to Islamic threats over art.
(31-01-2015 09:56 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(30-01-2015 05:27 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Neville Chamerblain, is that you?!

Oh, hello, nonsensical Godwinning. Funny to see you here!

I'm sorry you misunderstand.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2015, 10:19 AM
(31-01-2015 10:18 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 09:56 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Oh, hello, nonsensical Godwinning. Funny to see you here!

I'm sorry you misunderstand.

What is it I misunderstand? I'm curious.

"Anyone who is slightly more circumspect than me is literally enabling Hitler" is not a cogent argument.

... this is my signature!
31-01-2015, 06:44 PM
(31-01-2015 09:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  @Nurse,
I am unfamiliar with the work of Muse. Are they big Dr Who fans?

Just curious.

Consider
I dunno. I only figured out who Dr Who is a few months ago. Watched the first episode on Netflix.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
31-01-2015, 09:07 PM
(31-01-2015 06:44 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 09:02 AM)DLJ Wrote:  @Nurse,
I am unfamiliar with the work of Muse. Are they big Dr Who fans?

Just curious.

Consider
I dunno. I only figured out who Dr Who is a few months ago. Watched the first episode on Netflix.

Check out the theme tune.

Have Muse borrowed from it for the intro of that song you posted?

Yes

31-01-2015, 09:58 PM
(31-01-2015 08:57 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 07:46 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  What you gotta remember is that people did die over it. 12 of them.
I would agree that it's worth fighting for but I would disagree that it is worth dying for.
And it's easy for us to say when it's not our lives at risk.

Freedom of speech and expression are not worth dying for? Really?? I think that's a great disrespect for all those who have died and have been castrated and tortured throughout the ages in order that we, their descendants, could live in a world where we can exercise these freedoms. The only reason you're able to say that is because somebody had died fighting for your ability to say it.

We have free speech because we won the life roll and scored a free ticket to a good life in a decent country in a semi-decent time period.

It's not my fault I was born in NZ in 91.

I appreciate people before fighting for freedom of expression both through violence and non-violent matters but I don't see it as important for me to put my life on the line for future generations. Why should I be killed trying to save future generations when I wont be around to see it/benefit?

Selfish? Yea of course, but this is the only life I have and so I'm gonna be as selfish as I need to be in order to maximize my units of happiness.

[Image: oscar.png]
01-02-2015, 07:17 AM
(31-01-2015 09:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  We have free speech because we won the life roll and scored a free ticket to a good life in a decent country in a semi-decent time period.

I appreciate people before fighting for freedom of expression both through violence and non-violent matters but I don't see it as important for me to put my life on the line for future generations. Why should I be killed trying to save future generations when I wont be around to see it/benefit?

Selfish? Yea of course, but this is the only life I have and so I'm gonna be as selfish as I need to be in order to maximize my units of happiness.

It's generally of interest to those who have, or intend to have, offspring.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-02-2015, 07:34 AM
(31-01-2015 09:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 08:57 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Freedom of speech and expression are not worth dying for? Really?? I think that's a great disrespect for all those who have died and have been castrated and tortured throughout the ages in order that we, their descendants, could live in a world where we can exercise these freedoms. The only reason you're able to say that is because somebody had died fighting for your ability to say it.

We have free speech because we won the life roll and scored a free ticket to a good life in a decent country in a semi-decent time period.

I can buy that. In fact I think that'd be my attitude if I never intended to have children (as Chas put as I was saying this).

It's strange though, as even if I never intended to have children I'd still feel uncomfortable with the thought of that kind of selfishness.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
03-02-2015, 02:47 PM
(31-01-2015 09:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(31-01-2015 08:57 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Freedom of speech and expression are not worth dying for? Really?? I think that's a great disrespect for all those who have died and have been castrated and tortured throughout the ages in order that we, their descendants, could live in a world where we can exercise these freedoms. The only reason you're able to say that is because somebody had died fighting for your ability to say it.

To bad, what about the people before you? You'd be burned at the stake today if someone prior didn't bother to question. So that is it? Fuck you I got mine?

It isn't a matter for dying for others, it is a matter of appreciating what you have now. It isn't even a matter of forcing you personally to fight. But even without your lack of empathy for the future, we have enemies today who would kill you if no one was protecting us.

If you are to mentally weak to be on a battlefield I get that, I couldn't do it either, but those prior did think about a fascist rule enough to rise out of it. I doubt you'd say "ah fuck it" if you lived in Saudi Arabia or North Korea.

I do care, because the planet was around before I was born, and someone will be here after I am gone, would love to see less violence and a more harmonious world regardless if I am alive.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Quote:To bad, what about the people before you? You'd be burned at the stake today if someone prior didn't bother to question. So that is it? Fuck you I got mine?

Like I said, I appreciate their actions. But I wont be burned at the stake because I won the life role. It's pointless to say "you'd be burned at the stake if you were born in 1500's" because I don't live in the 1500's and if I did I wouldn't be the person I am today.

I appreciate their actions but I don't see it as important for me to follow their example for generations after me.
Yea, it's exactly "fuck you I got mine". Everyone is the same to an extent. We work hard, get better educated etc.. so we can get more money to buy more things and bump ourselves up the social scale. Fuck those below us, fuck those child labors in Bangladesh being paid 10c a week. I'm just honest about it. Fuck everyone, I wanna get my hands on as much money as I can so I can buy/do everything I want to buy/do so I can be as happy as possible in life.

Quote:It isn't a matter for dying for others, it is a matter of appreciating what you have now.

I do appreciate it. I just also accept that I won the life roll.

Quote:It isn't even a matter of forcing you personally to fight. But even without your lack of empathy for the future, we have enemies today who would kill you if no one was protecting us.

Exactly, and they're gonna protect me if I'm a selfish person or not so I might as well be selfish.
And before you say "if everyone thought that way blah blah", everyone doesn't so it's irrelevant.

Quote:If you are to mentally weak to be on a battlefield I get that,

Perception. You see it as mentally weak? I see it as stupid to willingly put yourself in harms way like that.
It's situation however, like if I lived in Kurdistan I'd be far more willing to pick up an AK. However I live in NZ. I have a comfortable, safe life where other people will put themselves in harms way for me. So I'll let them do that if that's what they want to do and I'll go do what I wanna do.

Quote:I doubt you'd say "ah fuck it" if you lived in Saudi Arabia or North Korea.

If I lived in North Korea I would be a very different person because to be raised in NK is a tad different to being raised in NZ. Same with SA.

Quote:I do care, because the planet was around before I was born, and someone will be here after I am gone, would love to see less violence and a more harmonious world regardless if I am alive.

I'd love to see a less violent world too. I do care about international activities, wars, terrorists groups etc..
I just don't care enough that I would put my one and only life on the line.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post