Paris attacks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2015, 11:37 AM
RE: Paris attacks
(14-11-2015 11:35 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 11:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, it literally says that he did.

The direct citation is also right there, and copying it with a few letters changed serves only to lay bare the sentiment. I do not consider that a misleading edit.

Of course you don't. Others might.

You knew your intent, others may not.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2015, 11:44 AM
(14-11-2015 11:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 11:35 AM)cjlr Wrote:  The direct citation is also right there, and copying it with a few letters changed serves only to lay bare the sentiment. I do not consider that a misleading edit.

Of course you don't. Others might.

You knew your intent, others may not.

If neither the original post in its context nor this whole follow-up conversation made things clear to these hypothetical "others", they can say so themselves.

I'll change it, but I really hope a mod deletes the intervening derailing posts quibbling about it, because it'll be even dumber when it's referring to something that's not there.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
14-11-2015, 11:48 AM
There was an ISIS attack in Beirut last night. 43 people killed and 200 hurt. The attack was two suicide bombers attacking Shia muslims. This is not getting near the press that the Paris attacks got, but it should be.

Maybe Germans needs to go tell those people to get rid of Muslims in their neighborhood, see how that works out.

There are a number of comments in this thread that are outright disgusting.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
14-11-2015, 11:48 AM
We should be attempting to stamp out Islam...not the people ensnared in its grip. Unfortunately that will mean a lot more war to come, but we have to fight this like the West fought the cold war--on every front. The fight needs to be brought to the areas of culture, economics, education, politics, etc.

I think the world will come back to Tony Blair's framing of the issue in his essay a year ago and realize it is the strategy we should have been adopting since we took up the "fight against terrorism". It is not a fight against terrorism, it is a fight against an ideology based on religion. And it needs to be fought on many fronts.
http://tonyblairfaithfoundation.org/reli.../way-ahead
Quote:The problem is that we're facing a spectrum of opinion based on a world view which stretches far further into parts of Muslim society. At the furthest end is the fringe. But at the other end are those who may completely oppose some of the things the fringe does and who would never themselves dream of committing acts of violence, but who unfortunately share certain elements of the fanatic's world view.
Quote:It is the spectrum that helps create the fringe. A large part of Western policy – and something I remember so well fighting in Government – is based on the belief that we can compromise with the spectrum in the hope of marginalising the fringe. This is a fateful error. All we do is to legitimise the spectrum, which then gives ideological oxygen to the fringe.
(read the whole thing if you have the time to spare)
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
14-11-2015, 11:57 AM
(14-11-2015 11:48 AM)BnW Wrote:  There was an ISIS attack in Beirut last night. 43 people killed and 200 hurt. The attack was two suicide bombers attacking Shia muslims. This is not getting near the press that the Paris attacks got, but it should be.

Maybe Germans needs to go tell those people to get rid of Muslims in their neighborhood, see how that works out.

There are a number of comments in this thread that are outright disgusting.

I think it's because it's normal place in the ME now.. doesn't make for good news! Either way it's sad.

Beirut used to be called the Paris of the Middle East.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
14-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Perhaps now might be a good time for a brief history lesson.

Are any of you familiar with the social history of the late 19th century? The disaffected and marginalised turn to radical ideologies if they feel like nothing else will change anything - that's a constant, but how it manifested then is what might concern us. At the turn of 20th century the prototypical terrorist was a murderous, bomb-throwing, radical anarchist* - the "propaganda of the deed", as it was known. The perpetrators were, of course, the radical fringe at the far end of a spectrum. Consider that in the 1890s it was considered radical to argue against child labour; when Roosevelt said that every reform movement had a lunatic fringe he was being deadly serious in a way that's easy to miss at such a remove.

In North America such acts and their justification were blamed on new immigrants from newly globalising (version 1.0!) parts of Europe - the likes of Poles, Italians, Hungarians... Jews. They spoke differently, they ate differently, they dressed differently, they worshipped differently. They had their own schools, and their own newspapers, and they lived in their own neighbourhoods. Clearly they were just innately unsuited to live in proper civilisation, and didn't even want to assimilate. Society was better off without them. If their influence wasn't halted they'd corrupt everything.

Right?

*Eventually society moved on and most people today have no idea that anarchists killed, in a twenty year stretch, people including but not limited to the Russian tsar, the French president, the Spanish prime minister, the Italian king, and and the American president; how's that for terrorism?

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
14-11-2015, 12:39 PM
(13-11-2015 06:16 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(13-11-2015 06:13 PM)BnW Wrote:  French police did what they had to do. No good options. At least that situation is resolved.

I'm watching CNN and they are pretending there is actually a question as to who's responsible. The specific group may not be confirmed but, generally, I think its obvious who's responsible for this.

There is a question when we had no idea who did it. Automatically assuming x group is responsible is not how evidence-based reasoning works.
In this day and age, it betrays the hallmarks of the religion of peace. Without a shadow of doubt.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
14-11-2015, 12:42 PM
(14-11-2015 11:48 AM)BnW Wrote:  There are a number of comments in this thread that are outright disgusting.

Not mine, right? Big Grin

14-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Dumb question from me...

But could it be that Isil just doesn't want other countries to take in refugees?

I know this is a complex issue with many branches...

When I heard that France closed their borders, I heard someone else (I was out at the time), say it was about time and that no one should be taking them in blah blah blah.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-11-2015, 01:31 PM
(14-11-2015 01:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Dumb question from me...

But could it be that Isil just doesn't want other countries to take in refugees?

I know this is a complex issue with many branches...

When I heard that France closed their borders, I heard someone else (I was out at the time), say it was about time and that no one should be taking them in blah blah blah.

Possibility except they released a statement saying it was because of the airstrikes in Syria.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post