Paris attacks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2015, 01:33 PM
RE: Paris attacks
(14-11-2015 01:20 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Dumb question from me...

But could it be that Isil just doesn't want other countries to take in refugees?

I know this is a complex issue with many branches...

When I heard that France closed their borders, I heard someone else (I was out at the time), say it was about time and that no one should be taking them in blah blah blah.

Maybe, although they've gloated about sneaking in hundreds of "Soldiers of Allah" in with the wave of refugees.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
14-11-2015, 01:48 PM
[Image: 3500.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto...0ad6b0b0b3]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-11-2015, 01:50 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2015 02:54 PM by Slowminded.)
Let's try something, like a thought experiment, see how it fits...

(14-11-2015 12:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Are any of you familiar with the social history of the late 19th century? The disaffected and marginalised turn to radical ideologies if they feel like nothing else will change anything - that's a constant, but how it manifested then is what might concern us. At the turn of 20th century the prototypical terrorist was a murderous, bomb-throwing, radical anarchist* - the "propaganda of the deed", as it was known. The perpetrators were, of course, the radical fringe at the far end of a spectrum. Consider that in the 1890s it was considered radical to argue against child labour; when Roosevelt said that every reform movement had a lunatic fringe he was being deadly serious in a way that's easy to miss at such a remove.

Edit: To avoid any confusion, quoted text below is not what cjlr said, it is my edit of his post

(14-11-2015 12:26 PM)me editing cjlrs post Wrote:  Are any of you familiar with the social history of the early 21th century? The disaffected and marginalised turn to radical ideologies if they feel like nothing else will change anything - that's a constant, but how it manifested then is what might concern us. At the beginning of 21th century the prototypical terrorist was a murderous, bomb-throwing, radical Islamist - the "Jihad", as it was known. The perpetrators were, of course, the radical fringe at the far end of a spectrum. Consider that in the 2000s it was considered radical to argue for marrying prepubescent girls ; when Merkel said that every reform movement had a lunatic fringe she was being deadly serious in a way that's easy to miss at such a remove.
Consider

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
14-11-2015, 01:51 PM

Arena in my city Smile

Edit: Oh god I'm terrible at this picture malarkey Sad

14-11-2015, 01:53 PM
(14-11-2015 01:50 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Let's try something, like a thought experiment, see how it fits...

(14-11-2015 12:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Perhaps now might be a good time for a brief history lesson.

Are any of you familiar with the social history of the late 19th century? The disaffected and marginalised turn to radical ideologies if they feel like nothing else will change anything - that's a constant, but how it manifested then is what might concern us. At the turn of 20th century the prototypical terrorist was a murderous, bomb-throwing, radical anarchist* - the "propaganda of the deed", as it was known. The perpetrators were, of course, the radical fringe at the far end of a spectrum. Consider that in the 1890s it was considered radical to argue against child labour; when Roosevelt said that every reform movement had a lunatic fringe he was being deadly serious in a way that's easy to miss at such a remove.

(14-11-2015 12:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Are any of you familiar with the social history of the early 21th century? The disaffected and marginalised turn to radical ideologies if they feel like nothing else will change anything - that's a constant, but how it manifested then is what might concern us. At the beginning of 21th century the prototypical terrorist was a murderous, bomb-throwing, radical Islamist - the "Jihad", as it was known. The perpetrators were, of course, the radical fringe at the far end of a spectrum. Consider that in the 2000s it was considered radical to argue for marrying prepubescent girls ; when Merkel said that every reform movement had a lunatic fringe she was being deadly serious in a way that's easy to miss at such a remove.
Consider

Hmm, It ALMOST works. If almost means if you just want to believe

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-11-2015, 01:54 PM
The Omni Hotel - Dallas skyline last night.

[img][Image: Omni-Dallas-111315_zpsc9i2yt6r.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
14-11-2015, 01:55 PM
(14-11-2015 01:51 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Arena in my city Smile

It works when you click it.

But on your reply to me before, I don't disagree to any of it, but I disagree with that being related to actually the mentality a and phrases sated directly I was speaking of of the 2 people here.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-11-2015, 01:58 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2015 02:05 PM by cjlr.)
(14-11-2015 01:50 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Let's try something, like a thought experiment, see how it fits...

(14-11-2015 12:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Are any of you familiar with the social history of the late 19th century? The disaffected and marginalised turn to radical ideologies if they feel like nothing else will change anything - that's a constant, but how it manifested then is what might concern us. At the turn of 20th century the prototypical terrorist was a murderous, bomb-throwing, radical anarchist* - the "propaganda of the deed", as it was known. The perpetrators were, of course, the radical fringe at the far end of a spectrum. Consider that in the 1890s it was considered radical to argue against child labour; when Roosevelt said that every reform movement had a lunatic fringe he was being deadly serious in a way that's easy to miss at such a remove.

(14-11-2015 12:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Are any of you familiar with the social history of the early 21th century? The disaffected and marginalised turn to radical ideologies if they feel like nothing else will change anything - that's a constant, but how it manifested then is what might concern us. At the beginning of 21th century the prototypical terrorist was a murderous, bomb-throwing, radical Islamist - the "Jihad", as it was known. The perpetrators were, of course, the radical fringe at the far end of a spectrum. Consider that in the 2000s it was considered radical to argue for marrying prepubescent girls ; when Merkel said that every reform movement had a lunatic fringe she was being deadly serious in a way that's easy to miss at such a remove.
Consider

Cute.

I was on board until you implied that Merkel endorsed sex crimes. Apparently you didn't quite understand what I was saying.
(either that or you're... deliberately playing dumb? although I can't imagine what that's supposed to accomplish)

No, seriously. I'm sitting here and completely failing to see what even you think you're trying to say.

... this is my signature!
14-11-2015, 02:00 PM
(14-11-2015 01:53 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Consider

Hmm, It ALMOST works. If almost means if you just want to believe

And all we have to do is completely ignore all the social and psychological knowledge we have about what motivates people! That makes it all so much simpler.

... this is my signature!
14-11-2015, 02:11 PM
(14-11-2015 01:55 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 01:51 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Arena in my city Smile

It works when you click it.

But on your reply to me before, I don't disagree to any of it, but I disagree with that being related to actually the mentality a and phrases sated directly I was speaking of of the 2 people here.

Oh, haha thanks.

Fair enough I think I understood your point after I'd reread everything. I get carried away with emotion sometimes.