Paris attacks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2015, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 14-11-2015 06:38 PM by cjlr.)
RE: Paris attacks
(14-11-2015 05:03 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Let me get this right...you were the one who edited GaC's post in the way that seemed that he is anti semitic ( he is anti islamic, islamophob or whatever, but that is beside the point ) effectively mischaracterizing him personally.

His post was composed of undiluted lunatic frothing hatred. That is not beside the point. That was my point. That was the entirety of my point. That you say that is beside the point rather illustrates how I think you missed the point I was making.

I chose to change the target of that hatred in order to emphasise it. I think that sort of attitude would be dangerous no matter who the target of it were - and that was what I chose to draw attention to. I switched out a couple nouns to change the target, but not the sentiment, of TGAC's post. I feel that was a reasonable way to highlight the profoundly disturbing nature of the sentiment itself.

Evidently you disagree. I felt the context should have been extremely obvious. This was a presumption on my part.

Do you understand what I was saying? Even if you disagree with any part of it, do you understand my explanation of my actions?

(we could really ignore the rest of this, because that's the part that actually matters - you misunderstood me, and I misunderstood your reaction; but fuck it, in for a penny, in for a pound)

(14-11-2015 05:03 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Then I edited your post in the same manner but not in the effort to mischaracterize you ( I think that is obvious because you didn't express your personal opinion in that post ) but to put it in the perspective. Not in any way attacking you personally.

Then you immediately pull the discussion to the personal level with insults and in the same time YOU are the one complaining about mischaracterization and dishonesty ????

I have had similar conversations previously. I've grown pretty tired with how they often turn out. I am sorry that I reacted unfairly. I chose to act like a dick because I thought you were acting like a dick. I apologise. That wasn't fair, and I should have asked you for more of an explanation.

As to how you chose to recast my words, I still think it was poorly done. I am entirely willing to accept that it wasn't done maliciously. I still don't see how there was any rhetorical purpose served. I wasn't just playing mad-libs. I was deliberately calling attention to the tone. It seemed to me that the point of the find-and-replace was blindingly obvious. Clearly I shouldn't have assumed so. Whereas I still don't know what your version was supposed to show. "Put it in perspective"? Meaning what, precisely? If the explanation you gave for your edit isn't genuine - and you just said it's not - then how is that anything but dishonest?

(14-11-2015 05:03 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  You are a fakn piece of work.

Tell you what....how about you consider me stupid or dishonest or both, I'll leave that up to you, and I will consider you a quasi intellectual dishonest asshole and we can ignore each other from now on.

Would that work for you?

Quasi-intellectual? Well; is there anything in the content of my posts today in this thread that you feel I stated inaccurately? If nothing else, I'd like to be less wrong in the future.

Ignoring? Do as you wish. I'd rather not, as a rule, but if you've already made that choice, you'll never respond to this in any case.

Dishonest asshole? We all have our moments.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
14-11-2015, 07:18 PM
(14-11-2015 10:47 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 08:45 AM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Muslims are a plague and Islam is a disease!!! The muslim is the nazi brownshirt of the 21st century! The muslim is a stinking cancerous tumor on the civilised societies of the world! The muslim must be removed from civilisation and returned to his disgusting homeland of savagry if civilisation is to survive!

I dunno, man. That sounds kinda familiar.

Quote:Jews are a plague and Judaism is a disease!!! The jew is the mongol of the 20th century! The jew is a stinking cancerous tumor on the civilised societies of the world! The jew must be removed from civilisation and returned to his disgusting homeland of savagry if civilisation is to survive!

Yep. Thought so.

You know what. At this moment I really wouldnt mind another fascist takeover of Europe. As much as I hate the far right, it would do this continent a great service!

I would just move into Canadian exile for the next 5 years until they have been forcefully removed. But meanwhile the muslim filth would be removed from Europe.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
14-11-2015, 07:18 PM
(14-11-2015 04:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 09:40 AM)Chas Wrote:  The terrorists got guns despite the strict laws.

Civilians didn't have guns to deal with the terrorists because of the strict laws.

You missed my point.

Allow me to explain. There is a point between terrorists, funded, getting guns and having connections and know-how, and some 15 year old kid having easy access to his dads m4.

In many states, that father would be committing a criminal act by allowing "easy access" to any firearm.
Firearms should be secured unless they are under one's direct control.

It should be a criminal act everywhere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2015, 07:22 PM
(14-11-2015 07:18 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I would just move into Canadian exile for the next 5 years until they have been forcefully removed. But meanwhile the muslim filth would be removed from Europe.

I don't think you'd like it here.

14-11-2015, 07:30 PM
(14-11-2015 06:32 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 05:03 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Let me get this right...you were the one who edited GaC's post in the way that seemed that he is anti semitic ( he is anti islamic, islamophob or whatever, but that is beside the point ) effectively mischaracterizing him personally.

His post was composed of undiluted lunatic frothing hatred. That is not beside the point. That was my point. That was the entirety of my point. That you say that is beside the point rather illustrates how I think you missed the point I was making.

I chose to change the target of that hatred in order to emphasise it. I think that sort of attitude would be dangerous no matter who the target of it were - and that was what I chose to draw attention to. I switched out a couple nouns to change the target, but not the sentiment, of TGAC's post. I feel that was a reasonable way to highlight the profoundly disturbing nature of the sentiment itself.

Evidently you disagree. I felt the context should have been extremely obvious. This was a presumption on my part.

Do you understand what I was saying? Even if you disagree with any part of it, do you understand my explanation of my actions?

(we could really ignore the rest of this, because that's the part that actually matters - you misunderstood me, and I misunderstood your reaction; but fuck it, in for a penny, in for a pound)

(14-11-2015 05:03 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Then I edited your post in the same manner but not in the effort to mischaracterize you ( I think that is obvious because you didn't express your personal opinion in that post ) but to put it in the perspective. Not in any way attacking you personally.

Then you immediately pull the discussion to the personal level with insults and in the same time YOU are the one complaining about mischaracterization and dishonesty ????

I have had similar conversations previously. I've grown pretty tired with how they often turn out. I am sorry that I reacted unfairly. I chose to act like a dick because I thought you were acting like a dick. I apologise. That wasn't fair, and I should have asked you for more of an explanation.

As to how you chose to recast my words, I still think it was poorly done. I am entirely willing to accept that it wasn't done maliciously. I still don't see how there was any rhetorical purpose served. I wasn't just playing mad-libs. I was deliberately calling attention to the tone. It seemed to me that the point of the find-and-replace was blindingly obvious. Clearly I shouldn't have assumed so. Whereas I still don't know what your version was supposed to show. "Put it in perspective"? Meaning what, precisely? If the explanation you gave for your edit isn't genuine - and you just said it's not - then how is that anything but dishonest?

(14-11-2015 05:03 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  You are a fakn piece of work.

Tell you what....how about you consider me stupid or dishonest or both, I'll leave that up to you, and I will consider you a quasi intellectual dishonest asshole and we can ignore each other from now on.

Would that work for you?

Quasi-intellectual? Well; is there anything in the content of my posts today in this thread that you feel I stated inaccurately? If nothing else, I'd like to be less wrong in the future.

Ignoring? Do as you wish. I'd rather not, as a rule, but if you've already made that choice, you'll never respond to this in any case.

Dishonest asshole? We all have our moments.
We obviously have irreconcilable points of view and on top of that we are having trouble understanding each other so any discussion will just lead to another fight , and who needs that?

I have no ill feelings toward you and for what it's worth I apologize for the insults, my temper sometimes gets the better of me.

I still think it's for the best, the ignoring part.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
14-11-2015, 07:44 PM
(14-11-2015 07:30 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  We obviously have irreconcilable points of view...

I doubt it. Understanding and agreeing need not be related. I understand all sorts of positions I don't agree with - or at least I try to.

(14-11-2015 07:30 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  ... and on top of that we are having trouble understanding each other so any discussion will just lead to another fight , and who needs that?

I have no ill feelings toward you and for what it's worth I apologize for the insults, my temper sometimes gets the better of me.

I still think it's for the best, the ignoring part.

I appreciate the apology and its return in kind.

It seems to me that you think I put words into TGAC's mouth, when I intended only to emphasise his tone (that is: he is a raving bigot - which you agreed with). I think that's interesting because I felt that my intent was so plainly obvious, and evidently it wasn't to everyone. I've seen way too many people cheering for genocidal enormity in the last twenty four hours, so I was already rather on edge.

If you'd care to address anything else I raised, I'd welcome it (to wit - ideology is step two of terrorism, not step one). But obviously you're free to do as you wish.

14-11-2015, 09:05 PM
(14-11-2015 07:18 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 10:47 AM)cjlr Wrote:  I dunno, man. That sounds kinda familiar.

Yep. Thought so.

You know what. At this moment I really wouldnt mind another fascist takeover of Europe. As much as I hate the far right, it would do this continent a great service!

I would just move into Canadian exile for the next 5 years until they have been forcefully removed. But meanwhile the muslim filth would be removed from Europe.

Seriously dude that's majorly fucking harsh, these are people we are talking about here with hopes dreams and families, they love and are loved and for the most part just want to live normal lives like you or I. Given your country's actions 70 years ago your choice of words suck and make you sound like some kind of neo Nazi
14-11-2015, 09:06 PM
(14-11-2015 09:05 PM)adey67 Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 07:18 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  You know what. At this moment I really wouldnt mind another fascist takeover of Europe. As much as I hate the far right, it would do this continent a great service!

Seriously dude that's majorly fucking harsh, these are people we are talking about here with hopes dreams and families, they love and are loved and for the most part just want to live normal lives like you or I. Given your country's actions 70 years ago your choice of words suck and make you sound like some kind of neo Nazi

Muslims have lost their right to humanity.

14-11-2015, 09:07 PM
(14-11-2015 07:22 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(14-11-2015 07:18 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  I would just move into Canadian exile for the next 5 years until they have been forcefully removed. But meanwhile the muslim filth would be removed from Europe.

I don't think you'd like it here.

Just enought to stuff into a train and send into a wasteland. Just like Stalin did!

14-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Terribly sad. I wish there were an easy answer, but there isn't.

My thoughts go out to the victims and their families.