Paris attacks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2015, 09:43 AM
RE: Paris attacks
(15-11-2015 09:29 PM)smeli Wrote:  I know the French flag has those colors, but what is that and how does it normally look?

That's the Sidney Opera House. It's one of the most famous and beautiful buildings in the world.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2015, 09:54 AM
(16-11-2015 09:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-11-2015 08:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  In Malaysia, I'm hearing almost total silence.

Tacit approval? Consider

I don't think so. At least not by those with whom I raised the subject.

It seemed more like nervous embarrassment. Or maybe only nervousness ... bracing themselves for a tirade from me.

The official stance here is anti-ISIS but this could partly be politicking due to the recent corruption scandals weakening the moderates in power and fueling the more radical opposition.

Quote:KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 16— Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein has defended his decision to reveal the Islamic State (IS) threat in Malaysia despite knowing about it in March, saying it was necessary in the aftermath of the terror attacks in Paris, France.

At a press conference today, the Defence Minister said that he “deliberately” chose to reveal that Malaysian leaders were being targeted by IS as he wanted to create a sense of urgency back home and to ensure that such attacks did not happen here.
When asked as to why the IS is now training its sights here, Hishammuddin said that it may be because of Malaysia’s strong stance against the militant group.

“Maybe because we have made a strong stance and brought ten Asean countries against them, and we are the moderate face of Islam which is not what they stand for,” he added

16-11-2015, 09:57 AM
(16-11-2015 09:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 09:29 PM)smeli Wrote:  I know the French flag has those colors, but what is that and how does it normally look?

That's the Sidney Opera House. It's one of the most famous and beautiful buildings in the world.

... although, surprisingly, the acoustics inside are not quite as impressive as you'd expect them to be.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
16-11-2015, 10:12 AM
(16-11-2015 09:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-11-2015 08:12 AM)BnW Wrote:  That number of shootings prevented in the US because there were civilians with guns is probably pretty close to zero. It's possible, in any given year, there was a one off event, but generally this notion of a "good guy with a gun" saving the day is a myth. It doesn't happen.

If you mean mass shootings, it has happened.

What you seem not to know is that thousands of incidents of civilians with guns defending themselves occur every year.
Still part of a vicious cycle of gun violence though. But I'm not American so I am unable to fully understand the relationship you guys have with firearms. To those of us on the outside it sometimes appears like a love fest with an inanimate object, it probably isn't but it kind of looks that way (to me anyhow) Big Grin
16-11-2015, 10:16 AM
(16-11-2015 10:12 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(16-11-2015 09:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you mean mass shootings, it has happened.

What you seem not to know is that thousands of incidents of civilians with guns defending themselves occur every year.
Still part of a vicious cycle of gun violence though. But I'm not American so I am unable to fully understand the relationship you guys have with firearms. To those of us on the outside it sometimes appears like a love fest with an inanimate object, it probably isn't but it kind of looks that way (to me anyhow) Big Grin

It is a love fest. Often an unhealthy one, but there is no telling them that. They don't know any other way. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
16-11-2015, 10:23 AM
(16-11-2015 10:16 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(16-11-2015 10:12 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Still part of a vicious cycle of gun violence though. But I'm not American so I am unable to fully understand the relationship you guys have with firearms. To those of us on the outside it sometimes appears like a love fest with an inanimate object, it probably isn't but it kind of looks that way (to me anyhow) Big Grin

It is a love fest. Often an unhealthy one, but there is no telling them that. They don't know any other way. Wink

Ya know girl you are a star standing up against firearms as an American I have sooo much respect for you !!!! Its considered almost treason in some places I gather.
16-11-2015, 10:24 AM
(16-11-2015 10:12 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Still part of a vicious cycle of gun violence though. But I'm not American so I am unable to fully understand the relationship you guys have with firearms. To those of us on the outside it sometimes appears like a love fest with an inanimate object, it probably isn't but it kind of looks that way (to me anyhow) Big Grin

Who is "they"? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-11-2015, 12:51 PM

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-11-2015, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2015 01:39 PM by Fireball.)

I have firearms. I am a Certified Firearms Instructor, and can run a gun range and teach people safe handling and marksmanship skills. My firearms are locked in a safe against unauthorized use or theft. The firearms sit in the safe about 99.9% of the time. I haven't been to a gun range yet this year, I've been too busy on other things. "They" is a pretty big brush with which to tar a large segment of a population.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-11-2015, 01:34 PM
(16-11-2015 01:31 PM)Fireball Wrote:  "They" is a pretty big brush with which to tar a large segment of a population.

Almost like, say, I don't know, claiming that 60% of a population supports terrorism...

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post