Paris attacks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2015, 09:16 AM
RE: Paris attacks
(19-11-2015 03:35 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 11:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  It took nearly 6 years to defeat Nazi Germany. Just sayin'.

You are forgetting the Phoney war.

Yabut, that still makes it 5 years. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2015, 09:27 AM
(19-11-2015 09:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Nah, the best option is to kill them all and resettle it with everyone from New Jersey. Big Grin

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius."

Blink

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-11-2015, 09:45 AM
(19-11-2015 09:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 09:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Within the context of the current situation, I fully support Russia backing Assad. Not because I have any love for the guy, but because it's the best of shitty options. If the west is unwilling to put boots on the ground in significant numbers, then a stabilized Syrian government under Assad is the most rational way to create a stable front line from which to begin pushing ISIS back.

Nah, the best option is to kill them all and resettle it with everyone from New Jersey. Big Grin

But that's why New Yorkers are depressed: the light at the end of the tunnel IS New Jersey.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
19-11-2015, 10:26 AM
(18-11-2015 05:44 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 05:30 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Did you see the intro to the England v France match the other day? Brilliant.

The philosophy of sport and has always interested me, I hope one day to be able to study it in detail and perhaps make something of it.

A great writer once referenced sport (I think he was talking about football in particular) as being the non-violent replacement for war in our species. It escapes me who this was, he put it so much more eloquently than I. There is so much depth one could explore on this topic!

I think the obligation the human species has to actual war, and violence, could be satisfied only with the participation in sport. It's the only world I can imagine there being no war in. A world of sport.

I wonder if there is a relationship between progressive societies and the standards of sport in those societies too. Even looking at it through historical context such as Archaic Greece and the development of "The Games" etc.

I'm blabbering lol.

The interesting rise of American Football via college football games in the late 1800s was that some of the earliest rivalries were literally, sons/grandsons/nephews of folks who fought in the Civil War playing against eachother. Kansas vs Missouri is still a big college rivalry today and it goes back to that point, which goes back to one of the first conflicts that caused the war.

Sweden still has plenty of Soccer/football and Hockey play around the nation. Though it is interesting I've heard in Norway they view Hockey as rather thuggish so it's not so popular there compared to Soccer. So in the comparable industrialized nations I'm not sure there is a difference in the more progressive ones.

I never knew that about American football and the descendants of the Civil War. Pretty goddamn interesting!

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
19-11-2015, 10:31 AM
(18-11-2015 09:47 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(18-11-2015 09:41 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Russia started out bombing rivals of the Syrian President and they even bombed U.S backed rebels, they have their own agenda and are barely of actual use also Americans selling weapons to ISIS is just conspiracy theories.

Within the context of the current situation, I fully support Russia backing Assad. Not because I have any love for the guy, but because it's the best of shitty options. If the west is unwilling to put boots on the ground in significant numbers, then a stabilized Syrian government under Assad is the most rational way to create a stable front line from which to begin pushing ISIS back.

I'm with you. For the past two decades we've had to choose between backing a dictator who holds back radical ideology or toppling the dictator and creating a pathway for either democracy or religious anarchy.

With some people (Mainly those on the left in Britain right now) you can't choose either without being accused of warmongering etc. I remember last year all the lefties on all of the Question Time programmes in the UK were claiming we should attack Assad, he's using chemical weapons on his own people, back the rebels, etc etc. We then do that by funding the rebels and now they are claiming we should back Assad to save Syrian lives and that we created ISIS blah blah "Western foreign policy" etc.

But right now the best option is Assad. ISIS are a threat to everything, including the Syrian people.

Assad is a threat to the Syrian people and nobody else.

Neither option is good but moral relativism dictates well.

[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
19-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Forgive me, I am jumping in late and with admittedly no military, social or political information other than what was handed to me the moment on the attack. I got a few questions and maybe some comments

People have been telling me, "terrorism has no religion." I heartily disagree, it HAS a RELIGION, just pick one and you can see terrorism. Its currently Islam, I don't think any sane person can deny the religiosity of the attackers (you would be hard pressed to find better martyrs even in the catholic church) and the devotion they have to their cause. Wether this be for Syria, or for Islam, its unimportant to me, both positions may have contributed (although I have reason to believe it was Islam that had more of an influence). It is ridiculous that islamic violence can be looked at, and not seen as a effect of islam. There were two attacks in France caused by Muslim extremists this year, we are one short of an established pattern (and thats for specifically in France).

Now, as to the Syrian refugees. If my understanding is correct, Obama's refugee plan requires vetting to make sure you are not affiliated with terrorist organizations, and if you are going to argue that we shouldn't open our borders, what about homegrown terrorism? Doesn't ISIS recruit online as well as in person? If they're already in the border, it won't matter. Its easy, I find, in situations like these to promote isolationism, to close ourselves off. However, as a human being that can't imagine the pain and trauma and desire to escape, I find it hard to simply refuse. We need vetting processes and restrictions, not a ban.

Is ISIS a serious threat to this country? Didn't they kind of ruin the surprise factor that precluded 9/11? Every country is stepping up their security, which is going to make an attack harder (though not impossible). While I think this is an appropriate thing, I think that we need to make sure that we don't completely close ourselves off. What are there chances of acquiring a Nuclear Device? Where would they strike? Where did they claim they would strike (I believed they said our capital)?

I think that we need to be tolerant, but intolerant of violence, bigotry, and hatred.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
19-11-2015, 11:39 AM
(19-11-2015 07:51 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 07:33 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  CNN is reporting that the ringleader is dead:
cnn link

Lets hope he was gutshot and died in agony Evil_monster Worship Slaves

Maybe the guys down at Camp Delta are hiring ? Consider

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
19-11-2015, 01:21 PM
(18-11-2015 11:37 AM)bemore Wrote:  What I would like to know is who is buying all of the oil that ISIS are selling???

Maybe if bombs are going to start getting dropped, they should also bomb the people who are supporting ISIS indirectly by purchasing this cheap, stolen oil......

Bomb the pipeline.
19-11-2015, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2015 01:47 PM by adey67.)
(19-11-2015 11:39 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(19-11-2015 07:51 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Lets hope he was gutshot and died in agony Evil_monster Worship Slaves

Maybe the guys down at Camp Delta are hiring ? Consider
Prison guard not my thing mate surgical executions would be more my thing but only for those who's guilt was totally proven Evil_monster Hobo Sadly it looks like this cunt was killed instantly by the suicide bitch Sad
19-11-2015, 02:09 PM
(19-11-2015 11:01 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Forgive me, I am jumping in late and with admittedly no military, social or political information other than what was handed to me the moment on the attack. I got a few questions and maybe some comments

People have been telling me, "terrorism has no religion." I heartily disagree, it HAS a RELIGION, just pick one and you can see terrorism. Its currently Islam, I don't think any sane person can deny the religiosity of the attackers (you would be hard pressed to find better martyrs even in the catholic church) and the devotion they have to their cause. Wether this be for Syria, or for Islam, its unimportant to me, both positions may have contributed (although I have reason to believe it was Islam that had more of an influence). It is ridiculous that islamic violence can be looked at, and not seen as a effect of islam. There were two attacks in France caused by Muslim extremists this year, we are one short of an established pattern (and thats for specifically in France).

Now, as to the Syrian refugees. If my understanding is correct, Obama's refugee plan requires vetting to make sure you are not affiliated with terrorist organizations, and if you are going to argue that we shouldn't open our borders, what about homegrown terrorism? Doesn't ISIS recruit online as well as in person? If they're already in the border, it won't matter. Its easy, I find, in situations like these to promote isolationism, to close ourselves off. However, as a human being that can't imagine the pain and trauma and desire to escape, I find it hard to simply refuse. We need vetting processes and restrictions, not a ban.

Is ISIS a serious threat to this country? Didn't they kind of ruin the surprise factor that precluded 9/11? Every country is stepping up their security, which is going to make an attack harder (though not impossible). While I think this is an appropriate thing, I think that we need to make sure that we don't completely close ourselves off. What are there chances of acquiring a Nuclear Device? Where would they strike? Where did they claim they would strike (I believed they said our capital)?

I think that we need to be tolerant, but intolerant of violence, bigotry, and hatred.

I agree. In regards to your final sentence I think that's where most people seem to fail to come to terms with. People are either at one extreme or the other, total ban or total openness. We need to compromise on moderate grounds!

For example Hilary Clinton posted a Twitter status earlier saying Muslims (to generalize them) are peaceful loving etc etc. This is JUST as unhelpful and ignorant as saying Muslims are violent, hateful etc etc.

Edit: Oh and to answer your nuclear device question I think there have been a few plots to obtain weapons grade nuclear materials to make a dirty bomb, the one i saw most recently was in Moldova, I think. They almost acquired cesium. I know nothing about cesium but anything in regards to the word nuclear seems dangerous Tongue