Partial reps or full range?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Partial reps or full range?
Girly's brother, ManlyBro, is a big fan of big ass weights and partial reps. Others are a fan of full range reps. What say you?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2013, 11:50 PM
RE: Partial reps or full range?
I'm doing full range now and am just about to up my (pathetic) weights, so I might be doing partial tomorrow Big Grin . I don't get how a partial weight would fully tear a muscle and extend the rips? I know nothing, though.
20-01-2013, 11:52 PM
(20-01-2013 11:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Girly's brother, ManlyBro, is a big fan of big ass weights and partial reps. Others are a fan of full range reps. What say you?

Only able to engage first video.

My gut feeling opposes partial heavies. Is it for body building or strictly strength?
While technique is important, pin machines restrict movement as a result of how they are constructed.

Some weight trainers curl massive weights by engaging their backs and build big biceps by putting the core at risk.
Lots of differing views. I will be attending some fitness seminars the next few weekends and will raise these issues.
21-01-2013, 12:51 AM
@ mr woof: that's what I did. I curled more than I should have. Biceps looked great, until I threw out my back... couldnt even move... laying down hurt lmao.
[+] 1 user Likes Ape_Linkin's post
21-01-2013, 02:25 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 02:38 AM by Bucky Ball.)
I say both. Full range, heavy squats releases HGH and other good immuno-protective things, so they are great. I NEVER get sick, if I do them, on schedule, (3 x per week). I know the studies show that 2 x a week is just as effective, but my brain can't wrap around 2 instead of 3. So I have a 6 day, split thing. Haven't been ill for a long long time, so something's working. The rest are whatever you want.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
21-01-2013, 02:49 AM
Depends on what you're doing. Obviously, a workout should never be the same routine; over and over for months on end. Your muscles need to be confused. They need to be scared and shocked into growth.

Partial reps are a great way to mix things up. What's more, they incorporate more muscle fibers than a traditional full-rep. I like to add partials to my bench routine every now and then to kick my pecs where it hurts. The thing with partial reps is that they don't lead to lockout the way full reps do. Meaning, your muscles are constantly flexing to hold the weight, as opposed to being supported by your skeletal structure when you lock out on a full rep. This means that you're not only increasing size, but pure, concrete strength as well.

What says me? Me says both. Keep the muscles guessing by constantly throwing new and brutal shit at them.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-01-2013, 10:57 AM
(20-01-2013 11:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(20-01-2013 11:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Girly's brother, ManlyBro, is a big fan of big ass weights and partial reps. Others are a fan of full range reps. What say you?

Only able to engage first video.

My gut feeling opposes partial heavies. Is it for body building or strictly strength?
While technique is important, pin machines restrict movement as a result of how they are constructed.

Some weight trainers curl massive weights by engaging their backs and build big biceps by putting the core at risk.
Lots of differing views. I will be attending some fitness seminars the next few weekends and will raise these issues.
Weight training? Little homo-erotic for you isn't it Woof? You wouldn't want to catch the gay now would ya.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
21-01-2013, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 21-01-2013 11:25 AM by GirlyMan.)
(21-01-2013 02:25 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Full range, heavy squats releases HGH and other good immuno-protective things, so they are great.

Yup, deadlifts do the same. Blew my back out doing squats a while back so now I just do deadlifts instead. And I use a trap bar instead of a straight bar to keep my spine aligned.

(21-01-2013 02:49 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Partial reps are a great way to mix things up. What's more, they incorporate more muscle fibers than a traditional full-rep.

That's what my brother says. Thumbsup

(20-01-2013 11:52 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  My gut feeling opposes partial heavies. Is it for body building or strictly strength?

He trains strictly for strength. Here's the explanation he gives to his training clients.

"The point of muscular fatigue for strength is failure. This failure is not the lactic acid failure you get at high reps. I am talking about true failure to fire sufficient fibers to move resistance. This usually happens with sets of 4-6 reps, but you can train hard enough for it to happen on sets of 2. You need a spotter that keeps hands on with you, a cage rack or machines with stops. your spotter will be able to see failure at the same time you feel it. The muscle will visibly relax somewhat, and the weight will come down fast! This type of fatigue has exhausted all types of fibers, slow and fast twitch are recruited and exhausted by the time failure happens. I will still usually do a few sets of higher reps after my failure set, but usually because I am not ready to go home yet.. A complete failure workout for 1 body part like legs takes longer to load and unload the bar or machine than the workout itself."

And here's his take on powerlifters vs. bodybuilders. Big Grin

"The difference between powerlifting muscles and bodybuilding muscles-
1- powerlifters have an eight pack not a six pack- there are 2 more bands that situps and crunches don't touch.
2- powerlifters do not have a deep groove between the abdominal bands-they smash together.
3- powerlifter's muscles never look PRETTY- even at 8% bodyfat!
4- it is very hard to tell on a powerlifter where one muscle group stops and another starts- because they all work together- there is no weak link.
5- a bodybuilder's out for money and fame - a powerllfter's goal is just to stay in the game. "

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-01-2013, 03:39 PM
(21-01-2013 12:51 AM)Ape_Linkin Wrote:  @ mr woof: that's what I did. I curled more than I should have. Biceps looked great, until I threw out my back... couldnt even move... laying down hurt lmao.
Hi A/L
For decades I did lat,behind the neck pulldowns; it used to be the way.
Some years ago,prolly as a result of this, I tore my shoulder rotator cuff.
I simply stretched from the bed to pick up a book....Bingo!

Physio for 3months and no upper body work whatsoever.
Good technique is really important. Bowing push ups not prayers.
21-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Yup. I couldn't lift for a few months afterwords. This was about six months ago, and I still haven't gotten back into it. Lazy me.