Partition Plan for the British Isles

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
13-12-2014, 08:09 PM
RE: Partition Plan for the British Isles
(13-12-2014 08:03 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 07:27 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  Because the areas I gave to the Englisc Leodemight are Scots speaking. Scots is a dialect of English. The lowlands (areas I gave to England) are also known in Scottish Gaelic as "a' Ghalldachd" (literally "the place of the foreigner").

The vast majority of the people in those areas don't speak a word of Gaelic. It tends to be the islands up north where you find the speakers.

The fact you are lumping areas together based on some fairly weak connection from centuries (Celtic connection we are talking >1000 years) ago shows you are absolutely clueless to the political and social landscape of Scotland. You also don't take into account the fact that people haven't stuck in the same area for hundreds of years.

If you are going to partition the UK it would make more sense to do it in terms of countries as they currently stand. 3out of 4 of them already have established governments.

You have pretty much pulled this from your arse. You have taken 2+2 and made 17. Its nonsense .

[Image: 404px-Scots_Gaelic_speakers_in_the_2011_census.png]

This is a 2011 map of Scottish Gaelic. The language actually seems to be quite strong in the North East, which is where the area I gave to the Celtic Republic of Britain.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2014, 08:16 PM
All areas with a fairly small population. For example the western isles (the only area with >50%) has a population of 26,502. So around 13,000 odd speaking Gaelic as a second language. No data on if that just means they speak a few words (most likely).

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
13-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Infact according to the 2011 census there were 58,000 Gaelic speakers here. (A decrease of 1000 since 2001) Scotland had a population of 5,327,700 then. That means that what about 1% of the population spoke Gaelic. For most of the areas on that map the vast majority of the local population don't speak Gaelic. Why wasn't that factored into your map? You are essentially basing a partition on a minority language. That most of the people in the areas don't speak.

The whole premiss is daft.

13-12-2014, 09:07 PM
I adjusted it.

[Image: e9wAivT.png]

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
13-12-2014, 09:13 PM
(13-12-2014 07:17 PM)sansdieux Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 07:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  The Welsh aren't Celts. Your partition is nonsense.

The Welsh are as Celtic as they come. In fact, they are thought to be the original Celts, possibly from the Basque region in Europe.

I stand corrected. I thought the Britons were not Celts.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2014, 09:14 PM
(13-12-2014 07:25 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 07:12 PM)Chas Wrote:  The Welsh aren't Celts. Your partition is nonsense.

Wrong. Welsh is a Celtic language. The word Welsh is derived from the Proto-Germanic Walhaz meaning "Roman", or "Celt" (the Anglo-Saxons made little or no distinction between the Romance peoples and Celts). I'm not sure how much more Celtic you can get.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2014, 09:27 PM
(13-12-2014 09:07 PM)Res Publica Wrote:  I adjusted it.

[Image: e9wAivT.png]

BetterTongue

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
13-12-2014, 10:08 PM
(13-12-2014 09:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2014 07:17 PM)sansdieux Wrote:  The Welsh are as Celtic as they come. In fact, they are thought to be the original Celts, possibly from the Basque region in Europe.

The Britons were the people of Brittany, France, and the traditional language of Brittany is Breton (Brezhoneg), spoken today and can be heard as far as Scotland, in fact, the Scottish Clan Stewart and the royal House of Stuart have Breton origins.

The Britons are an ethnic group located in the region of Brittany in France. They trace much of their heritage to groups of Brittonic speakers who emigrated from southwestern Great Britain including Cornwall to avoid invading Germanic tribes. They migrated in waves from the 3rd to 9th century (most heavily from 450 to 600) into the Armorican peninsula, which was subsequently named Brittany after them.

Breton is related closely to Cornish and more distantly to Welsh, while the Gallo language is a Romance language of the langue d'oïl group. Currently, most Bretons' native language is French.

Brittany and its people are counted as one of the six Celtic nations.

~incrédulité~
13-12-2014, 11:34 PM
No one up here would be happy to be included with England. You also still included ALL of the yes voting regions as part of the England area

14-12-2014, 03:12 AM
(13-12-2014 11:34 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  No one up here would be happy to be included with England. You also still included ALL of the yes voting regions as part of the England area

And all the areas in the north west highlands which voted no probably voted that way because the small population was swung by baby boomers and English who had retired there.

We have a map where the country has been divided up by language instead of geology which is historically the case. This leads to:
  • All the people in Scotland who want independence from the United Kingdom become English.
  • All the people in Scotland who want to be part of the United Kingdom leavfe.
  • You need to cross into another country or even across the sea to get into one another part of your own country
  • All the north sea oil goes to England (what's new?)
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post