Party Politics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Party Politics
I for one, am absolutely sick of party politics. Both sides are getting to the point where they spend more time fighting and nitpicking over the other party's agenda, then they do actual law making, and discussing the law.

For some reason I almost blew a gasket when I saw Anne Coulter's (a lovely woman by all accounts) new book, Demonic. I've heard of demonizing your enemy, but out right calling them, demonic?!

Politicians will do absolutely anything to stay in their party's good graces, including letting down their voters. This has absolutely got to stop, political parties are bringing down an end to our nation (An end which George Washington predicted when he saw the Federalists and Anti-Federalists fervently fighting)

People never actually look at the issues, they just vote for the proper color (You know, red for Republicans, Blue for Democrats).

I'm sorry if this seems incoherent, it's around 4:00 here in Japan... I just wanted to see if any of you guys shared my displeasure at not the current issues, but the government trying to handle said issues.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2011, 07:01 PM
RE: Party Politics
Ann Coulter is not a politician. She's not running for office and she's not interested in setting policy. She's a professional entertainer, except that she's not really all that entertaining. But, equating her with any actual politics is a mistake because that is not what she does.

As for the parties being tied up in and not able to do their actual jobs, given what a mess of things they usually make when they do their jobs, I'm all for institutional paralysis.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
29-06-2011, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2011 12:20 PM by TrainWreck.)
It's a complex problem, there really is not much needed at the federal level as far as policy making - it's a bloated bureaucracy, and the politicians want to keep their cushy jobs, and so they grapple issues as long as possible to make the appearance of their need to be.

"Institutional Paralysis" is an interesting concept, and I agree with your reasoning. What you are analyzing is the same situation as what caused the 17 Amendment to the federal constitution. Way back when, the Senate was elected by the state legislatures, but the states were muddled in institutional paralysis and nobody understood what was the original cause and/or the proper solution. People inappropriately declared that the legislators were corrupt and therefor prevented the people's proper representation at the federal level, and so the Amendment gave the election of US Senators to that of the people, as we have now. And so what has happened is that the problems of the states has been elevated into the federal system as you are recognizing, culminating in institutional paralysis.

The problem of the state legislatures failing to fill the federal senate was a good thing, because it prevented the inept ideologies that were "clogging" the states legislatures from entering into the negotiations of federal level policy making.

The original cause of the problem is that the states were/are plural-secular - all kinds of people with all kinds of ideas (religions, philosophies, world views) are supposed to be somehow represented and entered into the negotiations of policy, and it just does not work. Ideologies have to be somewhat segregated, so as to allow them to work to their full extensions of logic in social organization - you cannot play basketball on a baseball field with football players.

Consider the Democrat versus Republican situation - why can't the republicans be allowed to prove that their way is correct, why must it be tempered by Democrat ways, and visa-versa? If there is a happy medium, why hasn't anyone figured what that is???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
29-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Honestly, Trainwreck, I agree. Politics in America has gotten way out of hand and reason. They bicker about the most pointless topics, and have looong breaks in which to go back home and get "in touch" with their constituents.

I think half the things they talk about is honestly not even their problem. For instance, the military. I'm totally okay with having civilians be a part of the military system, and to make sure it stays on mission, but the amount of interference of congressmen/women (who are usually unfamilar/out of touch with today's military) is absolutely ridiculous.

Honestly if I write any more I'll be here all night.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
29-06-2011, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2011 10:00 AM by TrainWreck.)
(29-06-2011 11:34 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:  Honestly, Trainwreck, I agree. Politics in America has gotten way out of hand and reason.
And this is why I wonder why atheists don't recognize their political potential if they believe that they are the better champions of reason than those who are not atheists.

Atheists should be able to figure out the better governing of society, but they are muddled in inaccurate ideas of the past leaders who were tasked with just trying to get quantity membership, instead of quality ideas. But that is going to change a little bit in a couple of years - the problem is that the theists will be picking up the ball before the atheists. The atheists are going to ride out the archaic idea that atheists cannot be a consolidated political force, because they are so infinitely different; and so they will have to wait until they are forced to define their factions, because they will be forced to live in the same segregated political district, because the theists are not going to put up with their stupid whining anymore.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool