Pascal's Wager Expanded Edition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Pascal's Wager Expanded Edition
[Image: aVSVQ.png]

We have all heard Pascal's Wager at some time, and some of us may have even used it once or twice during our lifetimes. Here is a good visual way of communicating its folly and error as it is used by Christians or Muslims (anyone could use it but they seem to be the main offenders).

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
24-09-2013, 10:59 AM
RE: Pascal's Wager Expanded Edition
So we should be singulitarianists or unversalists right? those are the safest bets Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
24-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Re: Pascal's Wager Expanded Edition
Something like that. Thumbsup

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Pascal's wager is based on certainty of death, a universal axiom across the whole chart and atheist thought also:

Either something good or bad can happen (or both) to one's self following death or nothing happens. Wagerers, proceed.
24-09-2013, 11:44 AM
(24-09-2013 11:23 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Pascal's wager is based on certainty of death, a universal axiom across the whole chart and atheist thought also:

Either something good or bad can happen (or both) to one's self following death or nothing happens. Wagerers, proceed.

And evidence for only one of those actually exists. Making Pascal's Wager, at best, a hypothetical situation in a fiction where choosing your religion means choosing a certainty of "bad" outcomes in nearly every other alternative.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-09-2013, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2013 06:22 PM by Rahn127.)
One of the things I like to do is still try to convince christians that they will be going to hell, regardless of jesus or not.
"Do you think you can't be judged" ? "Why would you think that" ?
"Do you think you can't be punished for your sins" ?
"Do you believe yourself to be so special that you don't deserve to be held responsible for your crimes against god" ?

"Is that what you believe" ?

"Jesus may be your bridge into heaven but who is to say that god won't toss you off the bridge into hell"

The safer bet is to NOT believe in any of it at all.
If after your death, your mind attempts to give you what you desire in an afterlife, you may find that your mind will attempt to place you in hell for your sins.

An atheist life is the one for me. My mind will be completely at peace.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
24-09-2013, 12:15 PM
(24-09-2013 11:23 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Pascal's wager is based on certainty of death, a universal axiom across the whole chart and atheist thought also:

Won't have to deal with you no more, so that's a plus.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-09-2013, 01:15 PM
(24-09-2013 11:51 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  One of the things I like to do is still try to convince christians that they will be going to hell, regardless of jesus or not.

I'm going to heaven "regardless". I have Christ's promise and he would be a liar otherwise. John 3:16 says those who trust shall not perish. If I have eternal life for 20 years then go to Hell, obviously 20 and eternity are inequalities.

Quote:"Do you think you can't be punished for your sins" ?

I'm in the same vein as atheists. Some of what we do here comes back to us. But I won't be in Hell.

Quote:"Do you believe yourself to be so special that you don't deserve it be held responsible for your crimes against god" ?

I was absolutely held responsible. My substitute took punishment for me.

Quote:"Is that what you believe" ?

I'm not sure what you mean here. I trust Jesus. Belief as in an intellectual fashion is not trust. Trust is a yielding to another.

Quote:"Jesus may be your bridge into heaven but who is to say that god won't toss you off the bridge into hell"

Jesus said.

Quote:The safer bet is to NOT believe in any of it at all.
If after your death, your mind attempts to give you what you desire in an afterlife, you may find that your mind will attempt to place you in hell for your sins.

An atheist life is the one for me. My mind will be completely at peace.

"There is no peace for the wicked..."
[+] 1 user Likes PleaseJesus's post
24-09-2013, 01:24 PM
You're not playing the game friend. What if Islam is correct? Shouldn't you hedge your bets and believe that just in case?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
24-09-2013, 01:25 PM
(24-09-2013 01:15 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
(24-09-2013 11:51 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  One of the things I like to do is still try to convince christians that they will be going to hell, regardless of jesus or not.

I'm going to heaven "regardless". I have Christ's promise and he would be a liar otherwise.

Is that a spark of reasoning in there?

[Image: sigvacachica.png]