Pascal's Wager Expanded Edition

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2013, 10:14 PM
RE: Pascal's Wager Expanded Edition
(02-10-2013 01:15 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  You made the statement that we could find the Bible logic and wisdom else-every-freakin-where. Yet I'm pretty certain many Cratheists have tension with atonement and lay that maddog $%# to my Christian homies. Yes? No?

And your "the Bible has NOTHING to tell us" is whack, dissin' and unsubstantiated. Yo, dogma!

Damn, you can't even be funny when you're trying to be satirical.

(01-10-2013 10:42 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Whatever truth you think the bible contains with respect to money, work, education, or child rearing, I bet you will find those same "truths" in other religious texts too. And certainly in any secular text worth its weight in salt.

You miss-attribute the quote, and the content of the quote. Way to fail PJ, way to fail...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2013, 12:00 AM
(01-10-2013 10:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  What evidence do you see to say he likely does not exist?

Your god? The entire world/universe and all of our understanding of it. Philosophically, theologically, scientifically......

I know the fallacy. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

But when the entire universe corroborates? Logic and reason lead an honest intellect to one probable conclusion.

Your god is either dishonest or absent. Either way worshiping it is a fucked up way to live.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
(03-10-2013 12:00 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(01-10-2013 10:06 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  What evidence do you see to say he likely does not exist?

Your god? The entire world/universe and all of our understanding of it. Philosophically, theologically, scientifically......

But when the entire universe corroborates? Logic and reason lead an honest intellect to one probable conclusion.

Your god is either dishonest or absent. Either way worshiping it is a fucked up way to live.

"The entire universe corroborates...Your god is either dishonest or absent..." ≠ Most people not only acknowledge god but say god has interacted with them once or more during their life, personally and one-on-one.

You made some general statements there. Would you care to elaborate on your concepts?
07-10-2013, 09:53 PM
(07-10-2013 02:41 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  "The entire universe corroborates...Your god is either dishonest or absent..." ≠ Most people not only acknowledge god but say god has interacted with them once or more during their life, personally and one-on-one.

You made some general statements there. Would you care to elaborate on your concepts?

People also acknowledge aliens and ghosts and say they have interacted with them once or more during their life, personally and one-on-one.

Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
08-10-2013, 01:20 PM
(03-10-2013 12:00 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Your god? The entire world/universe and all of our understanding of it. Philosophically, theologically, scientifically......

I beg to differ Evenheathen, there are two probable conclusions not one.

What the universe corroborates, and the conclusion logic and reason lead us too is this: Our existence is not a matter of happenstance. Here is atheist and respected physicist Leonard Susskind talking about what the Universe corroborates.

There are only two credible explanations for what is observed. A designer of some sort or a multiverse of some sort.
08-10-2013, 02:20 PM
(07-10-2013 09:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-10-2013 02:41 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  "The entire universe corroborates...Your god is either dishonest or absent..." ≠ Most people not only acknowledge god but say god has interacted with them once or more during their life, personally and one-on-one.

People also acknowledge aliens and ghosts and say they have interacted with them once or more during their life, personally and one-on-one.

Drinking Beverage

We both know there are far more theists than ghost-sighters and alien abductees combined. We both know there are people who believe in God and people who do not--my comment was regarding the other poster's one-sided, biased comment. He can attempt to elaborate on his special knowledge if he chooses.

Your comment was off-base in terms of if my god and devil exist, we get a lot more insight into ghosts and aliens, too...
08-10-2013, 02:51 PM
(07-10-2013 02:41 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Most people not only acknowledge god but say god has interacted with them once or more during their life, personally and one-on-one.

Most people are indoctrinated young to believe there is no other reality than a universe created by and influenced by god. This idea is then reinforced throughout their life. The pattern seeking tendencies, ignorance and just plain gullibility of humans is much more prevalent than any solid evidence for the existence of god.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-10-2013, 02:52 PM
(08-10-2013 01:20 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(03-10-2013 12:00 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Your god? The entire world/universe and all of our understanding of it. Philosophically, theologically, scientifically......

I beg to differ Evenheathen, there are two probable conclusions not one.

What the universe corroborates, and the conclusion logic and reason lead us too is this: Our existence is not a matter of happenstance. Here is atheist and respected physicist Leonard Susskind talking about what the Universe corroborates.

There are only two credible explanations for what is observed. A designer of some sort or a multiverse of some sort.

No, the third is the single universe that can only be how it is.
The fourth is serial universes.
And others not yet mentioned or thought of.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-10-2013, 02:56 PM
(08-10-2013 01:20 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I beg to differ Evenheathen, there are two probable conclusions not one.

Okay. I'll agree here. But then you have to define god in order for it to mean anything to me. If you're talking about the god of any one of man's religions, you're on very shaky ground, if any at all.

~ Umberto Eco
08-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post