Pascal's Wager Response.
My Pascal's Wager Response -
The suspension of disbelief is not belief, it's pretending! ~ Roger Lollar
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bear Grass's post
31-12-2014, 08:21 PM
RE: Pascal's Wager Response.
Amongst all the other massive flaws of the wager.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
01-01-2015, 09:42 AM
This is mine;

Pascal's Wager - It is a "safe bet" to believe in God just in case he is real. What's the harm? If you believe and he doesn't exist, you don't lose anything, but if you don't believe and he does exist, you lose big time.

One cannot pretend to believe, one either does or does not. I surmise that a large percentage of "christians" go through the motions under this pretense. If there is a god, I am sure he can see through the pretending..the greatest problem with the wager is its suggestion that a rational person can knowingly will himself to believe a proposition for which he has no evidence. A person can profess any creed he likes, of course, but to really believe something, he must also believe that the belief under consideration is true.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 4 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
01-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Pascal's Wager

Essentially you are spinning a roulette wheel and accepting a fate when the ball lands on a number.

For the christian, he's betting on one number in 100,000 with many of the other outcomes that are probably going to be an unfavorable afterlife.

His mindset is that of a slave, so he'll accept whatever fate has in store. He's gullible so he'll believe his place for eternity is wherever someone tells him it is, without question.

Before the spin of the wheel, the christian has already lost his own sense of self.

This wager isn't about what you lose or gain in an afterlife. It's what you've lost in this life by accepting the wager in the first place.

As an atheist I don't accept the wager or accept any of its built in conditions.

If there is an afterlife, I will go anywhere I please without restraint. This mortal life is the only place I know of that restrains me. Without it, I am limitless.

In other words, this wager doesn't apply to me.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
01-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Quote:One cannot pretend to believe, one either does or does not.

You are far more polite than I, gwg. My take on that goes roughly: "So your omnipotent god is too fucking stupid to know when someone is pretending."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
01-01-2015, 11:46 AM
My smart ass response would be -Good point! I'll believe in Odin!

Perhaps that would lead them to deride me for choosing this god, but I would point out that my odds of being right equals theirs.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
01-01-2015, 11:47 AM
[Image: IMuJL8D.jpg]

I remind them of how bad it can get when you just follow something out of convenience.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 4 users Like microterf's post
01-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Not a fan of the "Your god must be really stupid if you can fool him so easily" argument. A lot of Bible verses and things attributed to him via his followers would seem to support the position that, yes, he is a complete idiot. Or, at the very least, self centered enough that he wouldn't care if you just pretend, so long as there's another person kissing his ass.

(01-01-2015 11:46 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  My smart ass response would be -Good point! I'll believe in Odin!

Perhaps that would lead them to deride me for choosing this god, but I would point out that my odds of being right equals theirs.

Your odds are better;

[Image: the-end-of-all-ice-giants.jpg]

Yes

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post