Passage in NT

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Passage in NT
I think there's a passage in the NT that says Christians should not refuse to debate non believers, or that they should be always ready to argue. Something like that. Anyone know the chapter and verse?

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2014, 01:44 AM
RE: Passage in NT
1 Peter 3:15-16
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
[+] 3 users Like donotwant's post
28-02-2014, 04:57 AM
(28-02-2014 01:44 AM)donotwant Wrote:  1 Peter 3:15-16
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
28-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Out of curiosity... why?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
28-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Looks like f stop is looking to force a debate with someone who sticks their fingers in their ears and says, "Lalalalalalalalalalalala!"

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2014, 12:40 PM
You should note that most translations don't use "defend," but rather say that one should be ready to give an answer for the hope that is in them or something more to that effect. IMO that's not equivalent to debate/argument with nonbelievers.
28-02-2014, 12:42 PM
(28-02-2014 12:40 PM)alpha male Wrote:  You should note that most translations don't use "defend," but rather say that one should be ready to give an answer for the hope that is in them or something more to that effect. IMO that's not equivalent to debate/argument with nonbelievers.

Alpha, you've said that before on here I think, yes?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-02-2014, 12:55 PM
(28-02-2014 12:40 PM)alpha male Wrote:  You should note that most translations don't use "defend," but rather say that one should be ready to give an answer for the hope that is in them or something more to that effect. IMO that's not equivalent to debate/argument with nonbelievers.

For once, gonna have to agree with AM here. The Peter verses are saying to be prepared to defend but it doesn't say that a Christian is commanded to debate. In fact, 2 Tim 2 says quite the opposite. It tells Christians to not wrangle in these types of debates.

Just saying... if you're trying to use scripture against them, this is the wrong approach.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
28-02-2014, 02:23 PM
1 Corinthians 2:1-3 Wrote:1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.
2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
3 And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.
Reference

They won't debate you cause they don't know anything else. Using scripture against a theist is normally useless unless they're not very knowledgeable about their faith.

As for the other translations of Peter, AM is right.
1 Peter 3:15-16 Wrote:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
Reference

Though, I would still say that means you should know your religion inside and out, or else you've failed.

Atir aissom atir imon
28-02-2014, 08:31 PM
(28-02-2014 12:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Out of curiosity... why?
The guy quoted the "pearls before swine" passage to me. Apparently he thinks that means he should not debate me. It occurred to me that the passage I requested is a contradiction.