Passive aggressive drivers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2015, 07:49 AM
Passive aggressive drivers
You always hear about aggressive drivers - usually some young punk, doing inappropriate stuff - changing lanes 10 times a minute, speeding, giving people the finger, blowing their horns and other such fun, testosterone filled activities.

As much fun as it is to talk about those idiots, I want to talk about a lesser known type - the "passive/aggressive" driver. You only see these in a few places - usually in parking lots, or at uncontrolled intersections, like a through highway that has a crossroad with stop signs.

They're almost always women.

You'll see these - when you pull up to a stop sign at an uncontrolled intersection. They'll be pulling up at the other side of the intersection at the other stop sign. Frequently, they'll get there BEFORE you get to the intersection.

They will have their left turn signal on.

What comes next is what typifies this driver. Traffic will clear and they'll pull right up to the very edge, or even slightly beyond the beginning of the intersection, then they'll "wave you through" -- indicating with a repeated rolling hand gesture, that you're supposed to go.

Well goddamnit - maybe I don't WANT to go. Ever think about that lady?????

Don't try feeding me the "She's just being courteous" line, because I KNOW better. When somebody's being courteous, they give you a single palms up, sideways hand gesture - almost a bow - as if to say "be my guest". (guys use this one.) But not the passive/aggressive. Nooooo. If you don't go, they make the same  rolling gesture - but wildly exaggerated and more and more frantic as time goes by.

Nope - what she's trying to do - is MAKE you do something. " Watch this - I can make that dumb bastard on the bike MOVE. Ain't I something???"

I don’t buy it.

When I see one of these, I've now adopted the tactic of taking a long sideways looks at traffic. "Gee - there's a car coming a mile and a half down the road. I'd better wait.” I watch these control freaks out of the corner of my eye, laughing to myself as they get more and more frustrated

What I'll finally do, is look 'em straight in the eye, fold my arms across my chest, and start tapping my foot. They'll then get totally pissed, and stomp on the gas - blowing through the intersection. Sometimes they even bother to check traffic.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-02-2015, 07:53 AM
RE: Passive aggressive drivers
"Mostly women" ok, and you have a peer reviewed study?

Driving is simple for both sexes, obey the speed limit, don't tailgate and keep your distance, keep both hands on the wheel, don't use your cell phone, don't drink and drive.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2015, 07:56 AM
what happened to just following the 'right of way' rules of the road?

If you are arriving at the stop pretty much the same time, and she is intending to travel across your path, then I am pretty sure that she should yield and wait for you to cross thru the intersection.

so she is signaling that she is waiting, why ya gotta be a dick about it? Drinking Beverage

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
03-02-2015, 08:01 AM
(03-02-2015 07:53 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  "Mostly women" ok, and you have a peer reviewed study?

Driving is simple for both sexes, obey the speed limit, don't tailgate and keep your distance, keep both hands on the wheel, don't use your cell phone, don't drink and drive.

Personal observation that I find amusing...

If you find you need to take everything printed quite so seriously, I suggest drinking.....Some people find that loosens them up...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
03-02-2015, 08:02 AM
(03-02-2015 07:56 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  what happened to just following the 'right of way' rules of the road?

If you are arriving at the stop pretty much the same time, and she is intending to travel across your path, then I am pretty sure that she should yield and wait for you to cross thru the intersection.

so she is signaling that she is waiting, why ya gotta be a dick about it? Drinking Beverage

Except that many people do not understand the right-of-way rules, and cause confusion by their unpredictable behavior.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-02-2015, 08:14 AM
(03-02-2015 07:56 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  what happened to just following the 'right of way' rules of the road?

You probably will not believe this -- I didn't myself.....

BUT -- I was run over while riding a motorcycle by a moron in a pickup truck.

This is in Michigan - at an uncontrolled intersection such as described in the OP.....

The court case (yup - it went to court) hinged on Michigan law.

State law states "At an uncontrolled intersection - the right of way is granted to the first person in the intersection"......

Read that a few times -- it makes absolutely NO sense. (My lawyer agrees)..

What it boils down to -- is NOBODY has the right of way - until one party gets aggressive and TAKES it.......

STUPID?? Absolutely.

State Law??? Unfortunately.

03-02-2015, 08:14 AM
after re reading the the OP, seems like the passive agressiveness is determined by the position of the hand during this 'go ahead' wave.

Dodgy

here in the south we have some super, super nice drivers that really fuck up the rules of the road and don't realize that they ARE the reason traffic if backed up and accidents happen. If only I could revoke drivers licenses on the spot.

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-02-2015, 08:21 AM
from NTSB.

[Image: RightOfWayRules.pdf]

[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
03-02-2015, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2015 08:54 AM by pablo.)
I want one of these!

[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
03-02-2015, 08:41 AM
Safe driving is simple, stay away from the other cars, and assume the other person is going to get stupid. If someone is that bent on being a dick, give them the space and get away from them. The road is no place to get into a competition.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 3 users Like Brian37's post