Passover Woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Passover Woes
I believe jewish seder at Passover is hodge podge of ancient persian, babylonian, canaanite *and* ancient hebrew myths, some of it based on reality of some kinds ...but a lot not ... I find lots of the seder hard to stomach for various reasons but on the other hand the themes of being grateful for freedom and not taking it for granted; plus family getting together; and as half family murdered in the H ive always had mixed nostalgic views and enjoyed seders too ... as long as they were erm taken w a pinch of salt Wink

... well that's not good enuf for my mum this year my mums actually just told me over the phone that for her 'its the end of the line' when I tried to organise family picnic n matza 'treasure trail' in the park ... shes not coming obvs.

Any other thinking atheists relate?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-04-2017, 01:09 PM
RE: Passover Woes
Well, I don't know.
So difficult to tell with such infrequent use of punctuation.

Try your question again but with a slightly more brief run-on sentence to describe your enthusiasm.

Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-04-2017, 02:52 PM
What exactly is she saying is wrong with a matzah picnic in the park?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
06-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Ok. I'll get this. Dodgy

From what I can glean ... you don't go to temple to hang with god, you go to hang with family & other Jews. I love you already.

Problem: you want to update the family "traditions" but the mom says, "What, are you crazy?!".

Actually, I'm not seeing much of a problem here but this is what I'm getting from what you wrote. Throw out another bone, HNC - something we can catch. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-04-2017, 03:11 PM
It's like the Irish side of my family and St. Patrick's Day - I do it, going out and getting drunk on Guinness, for the family tradition, not because I have any belief that a dude named Patty actually drove the snakes out of Ireland. Obligations, they're a bitch.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
06-04-2017, 03:52 PM
I would like to smear blood on the lintel.
But the Health Department won't have it.
So instead I'll have to take ma shopping for a gold lamme clutch.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-04-2017, 12:10 AM
Mishpocha! Without having heard back from you to get the details of what’s going on, I can only give you general advice.

Unless you’re living in Israel, invite your mom to cancel her second Seder plans and join you in the park Tuesday evening for the Seder under the stars that you’ll be hosting. There are tons of free haggadas available online from every variety of Jewish denomination –Some of them quite liberal in their Seder liturgy. Print up a few copies and let your guests pass them around as they take turns reading. If you can’t find one, use the free ones from the grocery store and just plan your own presentation to insert between sections. You’ll have to do some research for this, but it can be a lot of fun for your guests to see something different on Passover.

First and foremost, watch Jon Stewart’s bit on marketing Passover to kids. If nothing else, it’s really funny.

1. If you will have kids at the Seder, make masks for them and have them act out the parts of the plague by jumping out from behind a tree as each plague is listed off. You can also just print up graphic representations of the plagues and have guests wave or hold up their assigned plague.
2. Challenge your guests to actually finish the four cups of wine. Smile (That’s always fun.)
3. Bring your speakers with you and play some Passover drinking songs. (You’ll have to find them online, but I’m confident they exist.)
4. Sing some of these songs: http://www.templerodefshalom.org/wp-cont...12-all.pdf
5. Punk your guests by hiding decoy afikomen with consolation prizes enclosed. Make the consolation prizes as funny as you want, like for example, one coupon for a can of beans, redeemable after Passover ends.

If your family doesn't usually have two seders (and assuming that you're not living in Israel), then maybe it's time to start. Two Seders is the expected number of Seders to attend each Passover. By all rights, your mother should be delighted that you're interested in hosting this year and want to keep the family's cultural heritage intact.

Chag Sameach Smile
07-04-2017, 04:06 AM
(07-04-2017 12:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Chag Sameach Smile

Is that your real name?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
07-04-2017, 07:47 AM
(07-04-2017 04:06 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 12:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Chag Sameach Smile

Is that your real name?

Yes. I accidentally signed that with my real name. Now everyone knows it! Weeping
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
07-04-2017, 07:51 AM
(07-04-2017 07:47 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 04:06 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Is that your real name?

Yes. I accidentally signed that with my real name. Now everyone knows it! Weeping

No Such a noobish mistake.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post