Past Life Regressions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-12-2011, 12:42 AM
RE: Past Life Regressions.
(28-12-2011 08:21 AM)Enraged Wrote:  Aurora,

Yes I have heard that there is a percentage of people who can't be hypnotised. I'm on of them too. And you know why? Because it's freaking BS. It’s all suggestions.

And I think that conferences like the one Mr. Wolf talks about should be illegal. Just too dangerous really. The sheep must be protected from themselves.

Do they have a disclaimer that says: "For entertainment purposes only" ?

Hi Enraged.
Imagine a really disturbed person being "taken back" to four or five 'previous lives'.
By the end of the sessions they would probably be really crazy!
Unfortunately with the backing of big publishers, lawyers etc these charlatans are able to rip off the unwary.Confused
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
29-12-2011, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2011 02:43 PM by Luminon.)
My mom was a regression therapist for several years. I also underwent regression therapy with her, because, you know, it was a family business and I had it for free.
So I know how it works. Unlike skeptics say, a therapist does not tell people what to see or say or feel. That would be introducing extra material and a waste of time. The therapy is quite unpleasant and tiresome and everyone want to get it over with clear conscience.

With me it was always quite light, I didn't get into the feelings much. I had visions of a few my past lives (particularly how badly they ended, why else would I need a therapy on them) but it was not harsh on me.
Unlike other mom's clients. Most of them soon started sobbing and crying. Many had problems breathing, when she took them into the moment of birth. Some of the regressions lasted for 10 hours of suffering, I kid you not.

Be as skeptical as you want. But tell me alternatively, where does it come from? Why did these people have such suffering within them? Why did they re-live their own death in a previous time of history. Why did they come with a problem, like allergy or phobia, there was a thematically related re-living of a past life/death and after regression the problem disappeared. (typically, a fear of water, a vision of drowning in past life, no more fear of water)
How can a mature person be turned into a sobbing wreck just by sitting relaxed and following a few simple instructions?
Therapists do not make people feel these things. They may only uncover a great trauma in a client. What they actually do is repated guiding the client through this trauma with all visions and feelings, over and over, no matter how bad it feels, until the client becomes gradually less and less sensitive to whatever is there. When the client is not disturbed by anything anymore, the regression is over.

Yes, as every therapist my mom had a few identical historically famous people and other therapists too. (like several Mary Magdalenas) But these were a tiny minority, not a rule. We think in these cases it was simplier and easier for the subconscious to re-live a well-known archetypal story, instead of visualizing something original but basically the same.

Is that possible? Psychiatrist Ian Stevenson did a great work in investigating the claims of reincarnation, divided according to cultures, ages and even body marks of past life mortal injury. By that I don't mean he praised reincarnation day and night, but that he sought alternative explanations when possible and conducted his studies objectively.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson

As for the method by which reincarnation is supposed to work, that would be another topic, probably a premature one. When we're not yet familiar with the vital (etheric) body, it is too early to speak of the astral body, in which Robert Allan Monroe did most of his Far Journeys. Great books, btw.

29-12-2011, 02:42 PM
(29-12-2011 02:39 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Be as skeptical as you want. But tell me alternatively, where does it come from? Why did these people have such suffering within them? Why did they re-live their own death in a previous time of history. Why did they come with a problem, like allergy or phobia, there was a thematically related re-living of a past life/death and after regression the problem disappeared. (typically, a fear of water, a vision of drowning in past life, no more fear of water)
How can a mature person be turned into a sobbing wreck just by sitting relaxed and following a few simple instructions?

So you believe in the immortal soul and reincarnation?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-12-2011, 02:57 PM
(29-12-2011 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  So you believe in the immortal soul and reincarnation?
I do, because of things I've experienced. My only excuse is that it was an awful lot of very convincing experience and lack of natural explanations.
Is that OK with you?

29-12-2011, 03:02 PM
(29-12-2011 02:57 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(29-12-2011 02:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  So you believe in the immortal soul and reincarnation?
I do, because of things I've experienced. My only excuse is that it was an awful lot of very convincing experience and lack of natural explanations.
Is that OK with you?

You may believe whatever you choose, however there are very good natural explanations for your experiences.

29-12-2011, 03:08 PM
(29-12-2011 02:39 PM)Luminon Wrote:  But tell me alternatively, where does it come from?

Mind, power of suggestion.

(29-12-2011 02:39 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Why did these people have such suffering within them?

Repressed childhood trauma.

(29-12-2011 02:39 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Why did they re-live their own death in a previous time of history.

Patterns of identity.

(29-12-2011 02:39 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Why did they come with a problem, like allergy or phobia, there was a thematically related re-living of a past life/death and after regression the problem disappeared. (typically, a fear of water, a vision of drowning in past life, no more fear of water)

And there you go, You got a problem, I got a solution; that's law of supply and demand, is it not?

(29-12-2011 02:39 PM)Luminon Wrote:  How can a mature person be turned into a sobbing wreck just by sitting relaxed and following a few simple instructions?

Power of suggestion. Emotional context. Anticipation of result. Faith. Hope. This is without even offering witchcraft from this witch. If you're working with some decent witches, it's one thing; but from over here it reads like you're being strapped in for a ride. It's your money, it's your life, it's your sanity; have fun.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-12-2011, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2011 04:00 PM by Luminon.)
(29-12-2011 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  You may believe whatever you choose, however there are very good natural explanations for your experiences.
Well, I considered all possible explanations I heard of, but it was like driving square peg into round hole. I live with a slightly altered perception of the world, which allows me to make certain lesser or greater ocassional or permanent observations. I'm not sure if there is any point in such a discussion, because only I can tell for sure if the alternative explanations are adequate or not. For example, you suggest an explanation that might suffice, but it is not a permanent condition. My condition is permanent. Therefore your explanation doesn't apply. And you'll get miffy because it will look to you as I make up things as I go, to cling onto my beloved delusion.

I've already sought real explanations, but so far it looks like people like me were not yet studied by science. Reputedly, the brain processes a great amount of data that never make it into awareness. What if some people simply have a bit lower threshold of consciousness?
(29-12-2011 03:08 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Mind, power of suggestion.
Suggestion might work, but first there must be something suggested. But all the content of "suggestion" comes from the client, not therapist. The client uses his problem as a link to something deeper and sits relaxedly, awaiting a vision. This vision, typically a past life vision is used as a basis for therapy. So at best, it's a self-suggestion. And the client isn't even told what he should convince himself about.

(29-12-2011 03:08 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Repressed childhood trauma.
In some cases, certainly. Regression therapy is not only about past lives, it is often used to review the birth process or early childhood. But from there the therapist usually leads client deeper into visions of similar tragic stories, that take place elsewhere, presumably in a past life. Such traumas tend to go in chains, like one unsolved problem repeats itself over several incarnations in similar forms, or tends to go wrong the opposite way. Sometimes people recognize their contemporary family members in different position. Some of the stories are quite interesting, though good therapists frown at using patients to go after the stories.

(29-12-2011 03:08 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Patterns of identity.
I don't know what that means. I'm not sure if people identify themselves with someone of often opposite sex hundreds of years ago. In some cases thousands of years. Hell, there were some cases that were pretty much neolithic.

(29-12-2011 03:08 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Power of suggestion. Emotional context. Anticipation of result. Faith. Hope. This is without even offering witchcraft from this witch. If you're working with some decent witches, it's one thing; but from over here it reads like you're being strapped in for a ride. It's your money, it's your life, it's your sanity; have fun.
I think you've mistaken regression therapy for a Pentecostal Church meeting. Quite opposite, it's about calmness, relaxation and emphasis on what the client says, not therapist. The therapist is always reassuring and supportive and merely guides the client through the story of vision that the client describes. (or makes up, depends on how you look at it)

And are you calling my mom a witch?!!! Angry Big Grin Wink

[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
29-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Luminon: here's some thoughts Smile I'll get on with reading that other thread too.

Question: does everyone have a past life or do souls get created new? 'Cos we're 7 billion humans now... and the pop was at some stage down to the thousands if I remember my vague nat geographic ice-age articles correctly. So surely either lots of people should regress to animals? Or shouldn't be able to regress at all 'cos they have no past life to go back to...? The prob of regressing to Mark Anthony or Cleopatra should be vanishingly small.

Also, many more people should revert to Victorian era or early 20th cent since again, prob of finding someone from far back based on numbers of people alive is vanishingly small. If they do revert to around then, what sort of questions can they answer? Can they identify specific times, places and events, which the "current" soul knows nothing about? And can we independently verify their statements? If someone reverts to Lord Kelvin for example, can he talk about his own research in some sort of depth? Or do they all ramble in generalities?

Also, does this reincarnation follow descent - does Lord Kelvin's grandson inherit Lord Kelvin's soul, or does Lord Kelvin's soul end up in the body of a Zulu businessman in South Africa?

NOT looking for answers or links Wink Just some things to think about Smile
29-12-2011, 04:32 PM
The suggestions don't have to come from the therapist. No matter how well-controlled the therapy environment is, the person's entire life can't be accounted for to allow for truly controlled situation. People are susceptible to suggestions of all sorts, and seem to have very little control over what slips into the subconscious mind and snugly makes a home there.

I think hypnosis is real, but I don't believe that past lives are real.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
29-12-2011, 04:34 PM
(29-12-2011 03:41 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(29-12-2011 03:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  You may believe whatever you choose, however there are very good natural explanations for your experiences.
Well, I considered all possible explanations I heard of, but it was like driving square peg into round hole. I live with a slightly altered perception of the world, which allows me to make certain lesser or greater ocassional or permanent observations. I'm not sure if there is any point in such a discussion, because only I can tell for sure if the alternative explanations are adequate or not. For example, you suggest an explanation that might suffice, but it is not a permanent condition. My condition is permanent. Therefore your explanation doesn't apply. And you'll get miffy because it will look to you as I make up things as I go, to cling onto my beloved delusion.

I've already sought real explanations, but so far it looks like people like me were not yet studied by science. Reputedly, the brain processes a great amount of data that never make it into awareness. What if some people simply have a bit lower threshold of consciousness?

OK, you're special. You don't think that could be a delusion?