Past Life Regressions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2011, 12:00 AM
Past Life Regressions.
What with the Global Atheist Forum coming up downunder this April in Oz quite a reverse event is scheduled here for January.

At $600 (Aust) a pop, famed U.S.psychiatrist Brian Weiss http://www.brianweiss.com will be taking people w a y b a c k into past lives for fun or to help restore their sanity.
WEiss also claims to "progress' people into future lives to help them be prepared.

These events are linked to Hay House Publishing and other stars include Doreen Virtue Phd, Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra et al.

Many people I am sure would find this type of entertainment grossly disturbing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2011, 12:22 AM
RE: Past Life Regressions.
(27-12-2011 12:00 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Doreen Virtue Phd

She's the one who makes those magic fairy cards or something isn't she? I've come across a couple of friends with sets - I think it's hilarious. A living testament to the fact that putting the letters Phd after your name will turn some people's brains off Big Grin
27-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Past life regressions are normally induced under hypnotherapy........this to me is slightly dodgy as you are asking the subject to look into the sub-concious (where anything may lurk)

From my research into hypnotherapy I have found a lot of hypnotherapists who do this "proccedure" do it without much real conviction, as most of the time a lot of them recall different patients regressing into the same person (normally famous people from throughout history.....like cleopatra for instance)

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
27-12-2011, 04:07 AM
(27-12-2011 12:00 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  What with the Global Atheist Forum coming up downunder this April in Oz quite a reverse event is scheduled here for January.

At $600 (Aust) a pop, famed U.S.psychiatrist Brian Weiss http://www.brianweiss.com will be taking people w a y b a c k into past lives for fun or to help restore their sanity.
WEiss also claims to "progress' people into future lives to help them be prepared.

These events are linked to Hay House Publishing and other stars include Doreen Virtue Phd, Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra et al.

Many people I am sure would find this type of entertainment grossly disturbing.

Since you would have to be a dualist to believe in reincarnation, which is necessary for past lives, which is necessary for past life regression, then what I think is that this is either criminal fraud or pious fraud.

I find it difficult to believe that many atheists are dualists.

Doreen Virtue's Ph.D. isn't worth the paper it's printed on; it's from an unaccredited program at Clarkson University in Southern California.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-12-2011, 01:32 PM
All identity is dual-state due to the illusion of time; that's the extent of my "dualism." My duality is me and my Gwynnies, I don't need no "mind-body" crap. Dual-state identity hypothesizes that patterns of historical identity can be seen to fit the present individual, and that famous identities merely represent the more reinforced patterns; I don't see no truth in it beyond personal guidance. At a personal level my affinity for Sulla provides warning against trains of thought that head off into the wilderness of exclusionism; if I love everybody I can't be ol' Lucius, now can I? Wink

People that buy into this philosophy as truth are weak willed and delusional, but I don't blame sheep for the wolves. People that are practitioners of this fluff are just another form of "psychic" - evil witches the world would be better off without.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
27-12-2011, 08:47 PM
(27-12-2011 01:32 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  All identity is dual-state due to the illusion of time; that's the extent of my "dualism." My duality is me and my Gwynnies, I don't need no "mind-body" crap. Dual-state identity hypothesizes that patterns of historical identity can be seen to fit the present individual, and that famous identities merely represent the more reinforced patterns; I don't see no truth in it beyond personal guidance. At a personal level my affinity for Sulla provides warning against trains of thought that head off into the wilderness of exclusionism; if I love everybody I can't be ol' Lucius, now can I? Wink

People that buy into this philosophy as truth are weak willed and delusional, but I don't blame sheep for the wolves. People that are practitioners of this fluff are just another form of "psychic" - evil witches the world would be better off without.

I disagree. My mind wouldn't mind getting with Gwynnie's body.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
28-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Hey Erx, you looking for a punch in the head by HoC? Big Grin

Years ago, I had a hypnotherapist try and hypnotise me. Well it turns out I'm not hypnotisable (is that a word?). Apparently there is around 10% of people who cannot be.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
28-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Aurora,

Yes I have heard that there is a percentage of people who can't be hypnotised. I'm on of them too. And you know why? Because it's freaking BS. It’s all suggestions.

And I think that conferences like the one Mr. Wolf talks about should be illegal. Just too dangerous really. The sheep must be protected from themselves.

Do they have a disclaimer that says: "For entertainment purposes only" ?
[+] 2 users Like Enraged's post
28-12-2011, 11:35 AM
I think it can be a dangerous thing to use hypnosis, no matter what kind, for therapy. There may be things coming up that are too much for the person, that were subconsious for a reason. Or from suggetions you get to believe something or form memories of things that never really happened > The mind is a powerful tool!

As for past lifes. I used to believe in that, and I used to have found out that in my past life I was a man named Luke around the eighty hundrets. I had a few details about it that I spare you now. My point is, that in my case it was all things that I wished were true of me back then. I would have rather been a man, in that time, with that job, and wife, and house, etc etc... (I did not have a hypnosis, I don't think I can be hypnotized)

You just make things up on the run and take them for true because it was in hypnosis... That's a bit curious, isn't it

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
28-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I believed in reincarnation in a past life, but not in this one.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post