Past Life Regressions.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
RE: Past Life Regressions.
(30-12-2011 10:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, your experience is certainly a worthy reason for you to pursue investigation.
But until you investigation produces evidence, don't expect anyone else to be too excited.

I would think less of you if you didn't pursue it. But until you provide evidence of the existence of 'subtle worlds', don't expect any scientist who doesn't share your experiences to take you seriously.
OK, let's say that I need to provide evidence before getting some professional help in researching what's going on. But how do I get the evidence, if I need research to obtain it? That's circular reasoning.

People are able to get professional attention in case they're sick and doctors don't send them away. But I don't need a doctor, how do I get a scientist to take me seriously? Seriously enough to do some tests? Perhaps I need to find one who shares my experiences, that would be a nice coincidence. But there must be a better way. Is there a magical phrase to catch a scientist's attention without coming across as crazy? Maybe something about a special form of hallucinations, unknown yet.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
(04-01-2012 05:33 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(30-12-2011 10:36 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes, your experience is certainly a worthy reason for you to pursue investigation.
But until you investigation produces evidence, don't expect anyone else to be too excited.

I would think less of you if you didn't pursue it. But until you provide evidence of the existence of 'subtle worlds', don't expect any scientist who doesn't share your experiences to take you seriously.
OK, let's say that I need to provide evidence before getting some professional help in researching what's going on. But how do I get the evidence, if I need research to obtain it? That's circular reasoning.

People are able to get professional attention in case they're sick and doctors don't send them away. But I don't need a doctor, how do I get a scientist to take me seriously? Seriously enough to do some tests? Perhaps I need to find one who shares my experiences, that would be a nice coincidence. But there must be a better way. Is there a magical phrase to catch a scientist's attention without coming across as crazy? Maybe something about a special form of hallucinations, unknown yet.

Step one is that you do the science.
Science isn't inherently difficult, it's a methodology. Google "scientific method".
Your experiences should inform you and from that you form a testable, falsifiable hypothesis, then design repeatable experiments to test the hypothesis. Then you analyze the results.
If you have something that passes statistical tests for significance, you might get a scientist or institution interested. Or you could apply to a funding body for a grant. You write a grant proposal that summarises your results, your goals, future experimental directions, etc.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-01-2012, 05:16 PM
(04-01-2012 06:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Step one is that you do the science.
Science isn't inherently difficult, it's a methodology. Google "scientific method".
Your experiences should inform you and from that you form a testable, falsifiable hypothesis, then design repeatable experiments to test the hypothesis. Then you analyze the results.
If you have something that passes statistical tests for significance, you might get a scientist or institution interested. Or you could apply to a funding body for a grant. You write a grant proposal that summarises your results, your goals, future experimental directions, etc.
Sorry man, I've been busy with exams n' stuff.
Do I need to apply for a grant? I could surely use the money, being from a poor border region and so on, but I don't really know what to do with a grant. I mean, is it about hiring the experts who will perform the tests? That could get expensive.
Putting aside that I have no idea what the results, goals or future directions are. Googling tells me one basic thing between the lines, the grant must be written by someone from the field.

My hypothesis is, that there is anomalous activity in my somatosensory cortex, that is concerned with touch perception. There should be readings that are not present in a comparative person's scan. And these readings should be obvious and reproducible, no problem with statistics. I mean, how can scanners miss something that can occupy almost a half of my attention?

Anyway I know too little to write any convincing grant. It seems like overkill to apply for a grant to do a simple fMRI scan. My approach would be,
1) move to a big city (which I intend to do this year)
2) hang around a university environment (which is my intention as well)
3) find an expert or someone interested in neurology and/or scientific work
4) make an interview, bring along some good bottle and pick his brain on some real advice. If, how, where, by whom and for what the work might perhaps be done and what sort of authorities might be interested.
5) do what can be done, when it can be done, where it can be done.

Totally unscientific, huh? Well, don't expect me to switch over to neurology courses when everything I need for a start is a brain scan.

07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
(07-01-2012 05:16 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 06:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Step one is that you do the science.
Sorry man, I've been busy with exams n' stuff.
Do I need to apply for a grant? I could surely use the money, being from a poor border region and so on, but I don't really know what to do with a grant. I mean, is it about hiring the experts who will perform the tests? That could get expensive.
Putting aside that I have no idea what the results, goals or future directions are. Googling tells me one basic thing between the lines, the grant must be written by someone from the field.

My hypothesis is, that there is anomalous activity in my somatosensory cortex, that is concerned with touch perception. There should be readings that are not present in a comparative person's scan. And these readings should be obvious and reproducible, no problem with statistics. I mean, how can scanners miss something that can occupy almost a half of my attention?

Anyway I know too little to write any convincing grant. It seems like overkill to apply for a grant to do a simple fMRI scan. My approach would be,
1) move to a big city (which I intend to do this year)
2) hang around a university environment (which is my intention as well)
3) find an expert or someone interested in neurology and/or scientific work
4) make an interview, bring along some good bottle and pick his brain on some real advice. If, how, where, by whom and for what the work might perhaps be done and what sort of authorities might be interested.
5) do what can be done, when it can be done, where it can be done.

Totally unscientific, huh? Well, don't expect me to switch over to neurology courses when everything I need for a start is a brain scan.

No, not totally unscientific. Steps 1-4 are pretty much equivalent to trying to get a grant. Smile A grant is the funding you would need to rent/buy MRI and other equipment, hire technicians, buy/rent computers, software, etc.

Step 5 involves either learning how to do this or getting people who do know how to do this. You have the beginnings of a hypothesis, you can develop experiments to test it, or parts of it. So get chummy with a trained scientist or become one.

However, if you don't think that investigating this is worth the effort of learning some science or chasing funding, no one else is going to either.

08-01-2012, 11:49 AM
(07-01-2012 07:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Step 5 involves either learning how to do this or getting people who do know how to do this. You have the beginnings of a hypothesis, you can develop experiments to test it, or parts of it. So get chummy with a trained scientist or become one.

However, if you don't think that investigating this is worth the effort of learning some science or chasing funding, no one else is going to either.
It's certainly worth the effort. I just want to start somehow nice and easy with one non-committal brain scan that will tell me loads of info on what I'm dealing with. Perhaps even medical system might be involved for the convenience.

Have you ever read the sci-fi novel Darwin's Radio? It's well worth the read and the many awards it collected are certainly deserved. It's basically about genetics, evolution and re-activation of ancient retroviruses in our DNA that might have triggered evolution from one homo something to another.
But there is a passage, one of the main characters (the mother) starts having regular mystical experiences and has her brain scanned to reveal the cause. (the cause isn't revealed, but there are results)
The mystical experiences and sensations described are A LOT like mine, that I keep having independently, like since several years ago. I encountered other similar such descriptions in other literature, for example a novel by the Strugatski brothers.
This leads me to the idea that this is not a coincidence, that the authors themselves might have experienced this kind of thing and put them into their writing as a plot of literature. It is quite a profound experience, that influences everyone deeply. I had met religious folks who told me similar things, of course they painted Jesus all over it. Had this happened to a scientist, he would surely investigate.
Hell, I feel like a goddamn walking Rosetta stone of neurology Big Grin

20-02-2012, 01:27 PM
(27-12-2011 12:00 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  What with the Global Atheist Forum coming up downunder this April in Oz quite a reverse event is scheduled here for January.

At $600 (Aust) a pop, famed U.S.psychiatrist Brian Weiss http://www.brianweiss.com will be taking people w a y b a c k into past lives for fun or to help restore their sanity.
WEiss also claims to "progress' people into future lives to help them be prepared.

These events are linked to Hay House Publishing and other stars include Doreen Virtue Phd, Wayne Dyer, Deepak Chopra et al.

Many people I am sure would find this type of entertainment grossly disturbing.

Have you ever notice almost everyone who claims to have had a past life it is either someone very important,excitng, or historically great.You never here that some one in a past life was a slave who's job was to change the chambers pots

Give a man a fish ,you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish ,you feed him for a life time,give a man religion,he will die praying for a fish
20-02-2012, 02:42 PM
(20-02-2012 01:27 PM)jknightx Wrote:  Have you ever notice almost everyone who claims to have had a past life it is either someone very important,excitng, or historically great.You never here that some one in a past life was a slave who's job was to change the chambers pots

Well, duh. When people make shit up, they make up interesting shit.Dodgy

Same for the delusional ones, too.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Not always. The person I thought I was (when I still believed in that bs) was not known or important of anything

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
21-02-2012, 03:48 AM
Luminon has at least not reached critical Time-Cube.

Yet.
21-02-2012, 06:43 PM
(28-12-2011 11:35 AM)Leela Wrote:  As for past lifes. I used to believe in that, and I used to have found out that in my past life I was a man named Luke around the eighty hundrets. I had a few details about it that I spare you now. My point is, that in my case it was all things that I wished were true of me back then. I would have rather been a man, in that time, with that job, and wife, and house, etc etc... (I did not have a hypnosis, I don't think

I'd be really interested in hearing the details you spared us. Smile Actually, I'd be happy to hear more about this in general if you wouldn't mind elaborating.

"Fanatic ethnic or religious or national identifications are a little difficult to support when we see our planet as a fragile blue crescent fading to become an inconspicuous point of light against the bastion and citadel of the stars." - Carl Sagan

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Coca Cola Life is poison! Shadow Fox 49 616 24-06-2014 12:28 PM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Past Lives and Reincarnation Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 19 748 12-01-2014 08:43 PM
Last Post: Taqiyya Mockingbird
  Very Strange Astrological Occurence in my Life Egor 39 1,110 06-06-2013 10:26 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball