Past Lives and Reincarnation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2016, 11:01 PM
RE: Past Lives and Reincarnation
I don't know what's hidden there but the thing is that the guy is verfiying these things empirically. He is non religious person himself and is the medical director of the Child and Family Psychiatry Clinic, and Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences at the University of Virginia School of Medicine not a psychologist.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_B._Tucker
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2016, 01:49 AM
(18-03-2016 11:01 PM)FaheemNabi Wrote:  I don't know what's hidden there but the thing is that the guy is verfiying these things empirically.

No, he isn't. Jim Tucker's research regards the details of the stories told by children who claim to remember past lives and common threads between them. He does not, in any way, even begin to verify that these stories are actually true. Nor does he have any idea of what mechanism might be responsible; when pressed, he simply waves his hands and says "quantum mechanics".

Neither Jim Tucker, nor any other researcher into this sort of thing, has ever advanced even the slightest iota of actual evidence that reincarnation actually happens.

And welcome to the forum, by the way. Please do not take the bluntness of the above post as an attack on you personally; I simply see no reason to be anything other than perfectly straightforward when responding to topics like this. We're more than happy to have you here, whatever your beliefs, and while arguments may be blunt and unrestrained, we try to treat the arguer themselves with respect, so long as the same is offered in return.

Welcome aboard, and enjoy your stay.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
19-03-2016, 03:03 AM
(09-01-2014 03:40 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Out of all afterlife explanations I've heard, reincarnation (in my humble opinion) has the most merit (and from my limited understanding) can be explained by science (or at least partially, I heard an explanation some where but can't remember). Whether or not it's true, I find these cases extremely fascinating and I love the idea!

No it doesn't. It is as much crap as anything else. Once you die you stay dead. Atoms and wave functions do not act as an entire in tact brain. This is just another quack in the article link looking for attention.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
19-03-2016, 03:06 AM
(09-01-2014 05:08 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  I have no clue what to make of any of this.

I would need more consistent and conclusive evidence before I accepted his theory, although having read his wikipedia article, I do find his description of the brain as possibly acting as a television set that receives the "signal" (consciousness) rather than acting as the source as an interesting analogy.

The guy in the article is a quack. There is a reason the article says that the scientific community dismisses this junk. BECAUSE IT IS JUNK.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
19-03-2016, 03:35 AM
(11-01-2014 05:12 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(09-01-2014 11:41 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Another theory I read somewhere is that your consciousness/self awareness is actually energy. Since energy is never lost/destroyed, it's possible for it to move on.
(but no, I have no real data to back this claim up, like I said before I just really find this idea fascinating)

Consciousness is more like data. If you've ever lost a file that you forgot to save or forgot to backup you will have no problem understanding what happens to a person's consciousness when they die.

As an aside and for the uninitiated, files which have been deleted, sometimes are still fully intact and present and correct because they haven't actually been deleted. They have just been marked for deletion and are available to be over-written by new files.

Even when files have been over-written, there's some smart pieces of software which can at least recover some, if not all of the file.

Not that this changes anything, of course.

Just sayin' is all.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
19-03-2016, 03:48 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but I saw the Channel 5 program about the little boy who claimed to have lived before and who talked about his former life with his 'Barra' mum and dad.

To me, it seemed that the parents of the boy were 'normal'. They didn't seem to be particularly interested in attention. They seemed to want answers more than anything else. They seemed to feel vulnerable too in that the boy seemed to love his 'Barra' mum and dad. That they found a bit disconcerting. To me, it didn't seem as though the boy had been put up to anything by his parents. In fact, quite the reverse.

On the other hand, I didn't find that the facts that the boy recalled panned out that well with reality when they actually went to Barra. For example, they found a house and a family called Robertson but the name Robertson is fairly common in Scotland. They were unable to trace the father. Sometimes, it was more the case that they were trying to fir reality to the boy's tale, rather than the other way around.

Still, it's interesting and common and maybe deserves further investigation. I for one would like to understand what the hell is really going on.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
19-03-2016, 06:00 AM
A reincarnated thread about reincarnation....

Oh, the irony...................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
19-03-2016, 06:34 AM
Reincarnation is very very real. I'm the reincarnation of chuck Norris.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
19-03-2016, 06:49 AM
We are not special snowflakes. We do not have any immortal powers granted to us by anything or anyone. Woo is woo. Wishing it, doesn't make it come true.

Facepalm

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
19-03-2016, 06:59 AM
Let's just assume there is such an energy - like a BIOS of a computer without operating system. Let's assume this leaves the body when you die.

Everything on this earth gets recycled eventually. So what happens when things get recycled? They are broken down into particles and then re-used in a different form.

So, if this energy escapes when we die, it will be broken down into particles before it moves on.

Nothing stays whole. It would be illogical to assume that this energy would remain one unit.

I don't preclude the possibility of there being such an energy. Just because we can't perceive something with our limited senses, or measure it with our current stage of science, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

BUT - it would be entirely illogical to assume that this thing would escape the ever present rule of being recycled in fragments.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post