Past Lives and Reincarnation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2016, 07:20 AM
RE: Past Lives and Reincarnation
(09-01-2014 03:40 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Out of all afterlife explanations I've heard, reincarnation (in my humble opinion) has the most merit (and from my limited understanding) can be explained by science (or at least partially, I heard an explanation some where but can't remember). Whether or not it's true, I find these cases extremely fascinating and I love the idea!

20 years ago while getting over excessive drinking I went thru what I think of as my New Age phase. I went to a church where people talked about Chakras, and the Third Eye and everyone was trying to see auras, and a couple claimed that they actually did see them on a regulat basis. A lesbian couple were really into giving past life readings. One sat behind me touching and almost massaging my scalp and the other sat in front of me looking into my eyes with her third eye. They saw that my last life before this one was lived on the surface of the moon, I was born 2081 in some German sounding city there and my life work was to tend to the municipal sewage system. Time is not lineal they assured me. Everything is happening all at once. The past present and future as humans understand it is just an illusion. It was a fun experience and probably worth the cost of going to a Movie which is what they charged.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-03-2016, 12:55 PM
I guess the two things I noted after reading the story about James Leininger was that it only seemed to be his parents that reported these alleged recollections by their son, or as prompted by Carol Bowman, who herself is something of a woo-meister selling books promoting the notion of reincarnation:

"She claims she was healed of a severe lung ailment after learning that she had died of consumption in the 19th century and then died again in a Nazi gas chamber. A year after her "healing," her 5-year old son, Chase, was cured of his fear of loud noises by discovering that he had been a black soldier during the Civil War.
Bowman offers as evidence of the wondrous nature of past-life regression therapy the fact that her son, now 14, is a drummer. Finally, Bowman's daughter, Sarah, was cured of her fear of house fires when she discovered she had previously died in one.
"
—Robert Todd Carroll, PhD.

The other major flaw in the kid's story was that he claimed—as the pilot named James—to have been shot down in a gull-wing F4U Corsair, which the kid had been excited by on an earlier visit to an airforce museum in Dallas. Military action records show that the pilot (supposedly James) was shot down in an FM2 Wildcat. Ouch... a fighter pilot who doesn't know what sort of plane he was flying? Dodgy

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
19-03-2016, 01:02 PM
This is bullshit, the OP said most scientists have rejected this garbage. There is a reason MOST do. BECAUSE IT IS GARBAGE.

Some quacks with degrees want attention and lack the ethics to keep their fantasies out of the lab, that is why sane scientists call them quacks.

There is only a REAL psychological explanation as to why the quack peddles this garbage. 1. They are deluded themselves, or more likely just like morons who call themselves psychics, they want attention and money.

It is much the same way Penn and Teller don't like con artists and admit what they do is an illusion, a trick.

There is absolutely no such thing as magic or the super natural. There are merely gullible humans who want to believe it so badly they do.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
25-03-2016, 04:58 PM
I quote Michael Shermer's refutation of reincarnation".....

"My instant refutation of reincarnation: 6.9 billion people alive today, 100 billion people lived before: where did all those extra souls go?"

And Jim B. Tucker is simply sucking at the teat of the public's gullibility in order to line his wallet. End of story.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
25-03-2016, 05:03 PM
If reincarnation were real (no, it isn't) there are lots of animals I would want to come back as but I would not want to come back as a female. For the most part the females have all the responsibilities whereas the males get to do the fun stuff like fuck everything and kill everything and explore everything... I want that. Tongue

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
25-03-2016, 05:05 PM
(25-03-2016 04:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I quote Michael Shermer's refutation of reincarnation".....

"My instant refutation of reincarnation: 6.9 billion people alive today, 100 billion people lived before: where did all those extra souls go?"

And Jim B. Tucker is simply sucking at the teat of the public's gullibility in order to line his wallet. End of story.

Why do you think there are so many ants and termites? If you're good you come back as an ant, if you're bad... termite.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
25-03-2016, 06:13 PM
(25-03-2016 04:58 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I quote Michael Shermer's refutation of reincarnation".....

The answer to that is easy. The opposite problem is more valid. Thee were never 100 billion people alive at the same time. We have more people alive right now than ever before, So if 200 years ago there were only 3 billion souls around where do the new ones come from? Is a better question.
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
25-03-2016, 06:15 PM
(25-03-2016 05:05 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  

Why do you think there are so many ants and termites? If you're good you come back as an ant, if you're bad... termite.

NO that is not reincarnation, that is transmigration of the soul. In reincarnation believers people are the only creatures that have souls, not cows and bugs etc..
25-03-2016, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 25-03-2016 06:54 PM by SitaSky.)
(25-03-2016 06:15 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 05:05 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  Why do you think there are so many ants and termites? If you're good you come back as an ant, if you're bad... termite.

NO that is not reincarnation, that is transmigration of the soul. In reincarnation believers people are the only creatures that have souls, not cows and bugs etc..

There is a theory about the splitting of souls or the idea that a soul can come back in multiple bodies. I read a study about a doctor who spoke with many people who claimed past life memories.

Even though the idea of it may sound somewhat comforting especially when you include the idea of twin souls and soul mates it's still just as scary and final as eternal oblivion. If you lose all your memories and the unique consciousness you are inhabiting now than it doesn't really matter that your "energy" flew away from your corpse and landed in a baby in utero somewhere. You're still dead for intents and purposes but at least you can always meet someone, feel a deep connection and say "Hey, we were maybe the same person once" and maybe feel kinda tingly.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
25-03-2016, 06:38 PM
I'm the reincarnation of chuck Norris.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes