Past Lives and Reincarnation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2016, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2016 09:46 AM by Silentroar.)
RE: Past Lives and Reincarnation
(25-03-2016 07:57 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 07:28 PM)Leo Wrote:  That's even more ridiculous than the classic rebirth hypothesis. The explanation from Buddhism and Hinduism is simple. All those extra souls or minds came from beings from other realms getting reborn as humans. For example some species of animals outnumbers humans by a VERY BIG margin. Soul split? what the hell ?FacepalmBlink

I was really young (preteen), and even then I thought that was some dumb shit. I don't remember if it was because multiple people say they're Julius Caesar or Napolean, or that's what I was joking about. But, yeah, the idea of soul splitting is some real bullshit.

Souls don't split in hindu belief, the reason is Inter -realm transfers ( according to hindu beliefs ) , There are "Loka's "= realms so there is constant exchange among the realms and some fall to lower realms while others ascend, Also the souls in highest realm are burning earned good karma and the ones in lowest are paying off negative karma without new one being accumulated . Also animals, plants have souls. But ofcourse this is all bullshit there is no such evidence , it can't be proven = false.

Also, for each "Yuga" = ERA , (4 yuga's mentioned in bhagvad gita ). Its mentioned in hindu philosophy that most births will be human compared to animals in "Age of kali " KaliYuga. and The number of souls in highest realm will be at its lowest. And the mid realm will be polarized , very volatile .Again no proof = all a lie.

If they really knew that much then why din't they have video cameras to record a soul transfer or any scientific way to prove all the woo woo. We could then debate on whether the recording was morphed or not.

All i know is what was told,
All i think is what i know,
All i am is what i think,
All i know NOT is who I Am.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2016, 10:06 AM
(25-03-2016 08:28 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 08:15 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I guess Shermer is saying that in total (thus far in man's history) there have been, or are, 106.9 billion souls floating around, but only 6.9 billion currently inhabiting live human bodies. So... where are the others who ain't got no body to shack up in?

"Oh you're depressed because of all those souls clinging to you, that's all. It's no big deal really."
Scientologists actually sell that idea as reality.

28-05-2016, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2016 11:08 AM by Silentroar.)
(12-01-2014 10:52 AM)Luminon Wrote:  James Lenninger is a well-known case. But there's also the research of Dr. Ian Stevenson, thousands of cases worldwide, sorted by ethnicity, age, nationality, religion and so on. Not a conclusive physical evidence obviously, but a good statistical one.
http://reluctant-messenger.com/reincarnation-proof.htm
Well his work is still ongoing , even though he died his team continues to work on it.

Jim B. Tucker, Antonia Mills, Satwant Pasricha, Godwin Samararatne, and Erlendur Haraldsson.

Could you think of some more parameters that could be added to his method?

Quote: METHODS: My investigations of these cases included interviews, often repeated, with the subject and with several or many other informants for both families. With rare exceptions, only firsthand informants were interviewed. All pertinent written records that existed, particularly death certificates and postmortem reports, were sought and examined. In the cases in which the informants said that the two families had no previous acquaintance, I made every effort to exclude all possibility that some information might nevertheless have passed normally to the child, perhaps through a half-forgotten mutual acquaintance of the two families. I have published elsewhere full details about methods (Stevenson, 1975; 1987).

I did not accept any indicated mark as a birthmark unless a firsthand witness assured me that it had been noticed immediately after the child's birth or, at most, within a few weeks. I enquired about the occurrence of similar birth marks in other members of the family; in nearly every instance this was denied, but in seven cases a genetic factor could not be excluded.

Birth defects of the kind in question here would be noticed immediately after the child's birth. Inquiries in these cases excluded (again with rare exceptions) the known causes of birth defects, such as close biological relationship of the parents (consanguinity), viral infections in the subject's mother during her pregnancy, and chemical causes of birth defects like alcohol.

28-05-2016, 04:52 PM
(25-03-2016 06:55 PM)Leo Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 06:15 PM)DerFish Wrote:  NO that is not reincarnation, that is transmigration of the soul. In reincarnation believers people are the only creatures that have souls, not cows and bugs etc..

You are talking bullcrap. Reincarnation beliefs came from the dharmic religions in India. For example according to Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism you can get reborn as god in heavens , as a demon in hell , you can be reborn as a ghost , you can be reborn as a animal and you can be reborn as a human. You are talking Newage Baloney. Most newagers believe you will get reborn only as human.

The word reincarnation means reincarnating as a human. The other is called transmigration of the soul, where it may be a fish or a cow or whatever next round.
28-05-2016, 05:16 PM
(28-05-2016 04:52 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 06:55 PM)Leo Wrote:  You are talking bullcrap. Reincarnation beliefs came from the dharmic religions in India. For example according to Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism you can get reborn as god in heavens , as a demon in hell , you can be reborn as a ghost , you can be reborn as a animal and you can be reborn as a human. You are talking Newage Baloney. Most newagers believe you will get reborn only as human.

The word reincarnation means reincarnating as a human. The other is called transmigration of the soul, where it may be a fish or a cow or whatever next round.

There are different views on this , reincarnation is considered a conscious decision by design of a divine /realized soul(Avatar). Rebirth is general category for all the rest and its on default mode auto run.

28-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Quote:Dr. Jim Tucker, a psychologist at the University of Virginia has begun to investigate the validity of a series of intriguing claims from people who profess they have had past lives and can remember them...
Tucker also believes in the paranormal, but doesn't provide any valid supporting evidence for those claims either. He was on this televisual disaster in order to promote his new book.

Quote:We're going to spend the next few minutes talking about a controversial theory...
...Dr. Tucker joins us from the Virginia Foundation to talk about the science behind this phenomenon.
The notion of reincarnation is not a theory, nor is there any "science" behind it. It's at best—generously—a hypothesis.

Quote:Over the decades, we've now study our 2,500 cases of children who report memories of past lives...
...I have explained in this new book that I have out.
And not one single citation to any of those alleged 2,500 cases. Why not; none are convincing maybe? Oh... my new book again LOL.

Quote:And you [Tucker] chronicle the stories of many children, including one that got a lot of national attention. It was the story of James Leininger. He was a boy who remembered being a World War II fighter pilot.
Once again, no citations for any of those "many" children. Tucker mounts his entire "proof" for reincarnation on James Leininger. However Leininger's absurd story has been debunked on numerous skeptical sites as per Skeptico and BS Historian and others.

Quote:James Huston's plane crashed exactly the way that James Leininger had described - hit in the engine, exploding into fire, crashing into the water and quickly sinking.
Leininger did not verbatim describe a "hit in the engine"; when asked, he just pointed towards the nose of the plane on his sketchy diagram. A member of the JREF forum pointed out that the original claim was for the distinctive gull-winged F4U Corsair fighter (which Leininger had earlier seen and been impressed by at an aircraft museum), but only after Leininger's father read that Huston was not flying that type of plane at the time when he died did it change to the radically different Grumman F4F Wildcat. What a surprise.

Quote:But in cases like James', the previous person, James Huston, was so obscure - I mean, he was a pilot who was killed 50 years before and he was from Pennsylvania and James was in Louisiana - it seems absolutely impossible that he could have somehow gained this information as a 2-year-old through some sort of normal means.
Of course it wasn't through "normal means". Leininger was being led—by both his father Bruce, and self-styled past-life regression therapist [sic] Carol Bowman, whose books skeptic Robert Todd Carroll heavily criticized and described as a "firsthand testimony to ignorance of science, to gullibility and, above all, to wishful thinking". Also at play with Bruce and Andrea Leininger, and James, was confirmation bias (a tendency to search for or interpret information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions), and retrofitting.

Quote:That's Jim Tucker. He's a psychiatrist at the University of Virginia and the author of "Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children who Remember Past Lives." Thank you so much for talking with us.
Gee... how many times are they going to mention Tucker's nonsensical book?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
28-05-2016, 11:05 PM
OMGAWD !!
pseu·do·sci·ence
ˌso͞odōˈsīəns/
noun
noun: pseudoscience; plural noun: pseudosciences; noun: pseudo-science; plural noun: pseudo-sciences

a collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.

28-05-2016, 11:54 PM
If i had a hammer , i would hammer in the morning, i would hammer in the evening , I would even EAT SOUP with a hammer.