Past or Future?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2016, 08:02 PM
RE: Past or Future?
(18-03-2016 07:42 PM)Dom Wrote:  Oh, I would just like to go back and have some talks with my parents and hubby.

Then I want to go forward and watch as atheism slowly wins as the peoples of the world become educated.

So, I want both directions. And just for my personal pleasure.

Then again, maybe the future is not such a good idea, there is a very good chance that I will just have to Facepalm

That reminds me of the movie Peggy Sue Got Married when she travels back in time and sees her mother for the first time with adult eyes. The appreciation and love in her eyes at seeing her mother and father for the first time, it was just lovely. I wish I could go back and listen to my father play the piano again. Every time I hear Chopin I think of my father. Every time I hear a Beethoven piano piece I think of my father playing the piano on a Saturday morning. I would wake up to that music. I didn't appreciate it enough nor tell him how much I loved him and his music.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-03-2016, 09:45 PM
(18-03-2016 05:46 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 04:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Awesome idea.

I'd love to travel back in time to the Jazz age...like 1920s before things got shitty in Harlem and they started segregating the clubs. Drink in a speakeasy...

I'd skip the 30s and dive straight into the 40s,-- lots of awesome jazz Duke Ellington...Charlie Parker...Lester Young....

Yeah....

I wouldn't skip the '30s... I'd just make sure I published all of Steinbeck's major works before he could write them.

I reckon Harper Lee was a time traveler... Stole someone's great idea from about 2010, went back to 1960 and published To Kill a Mockingbird. All those years in obscurity, out of the spotlight were just the period while she was travelling to the future, in time to reap the profits after it became a classic.

I would still skip the 30s unless I had money. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-03-2016, 09:12 PM
(18-03-2016 07:08 PM)debna27 Wrote:  On a side note, I just started reading The Time Machine by H.G. Wells so I felt rather compelled to contribute that. I love coincidences, even when they affect no one but me.

Update: I have finished The Time Machine and now want to go nowhere at all. Fucking with time travel is suddenly a different kind of scary.
[+] 2 users Like debna27's post
22-03-2016, 04:59 PM
(21-03-2016 09:12 PM)debna27 Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 07:08 PM)debna27 Wrote:  On a side note, I just started reading The Time Machine by H.G. Wells so I felt rather compelled to contribute that. I love coincidences, even when they affect no one but me.

Update: I have finished The Time Machine and now want to go nowhere at all. Fucking with time travel is suddenly a different kind of scary.

Just patch things up with a time loop, easy peasy.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
23-03-2016, 01:42 PM
The amount of lost writings that could be recovered.....The library of Alexandria, the Aztec and Mayan codices, the library in Baghdad, hell the loss of Archimedes' "On Sphere-Making" alone is....an unimaginable loss.

So much Anglo-Saxon works have been lost as to make the heart ache when one thinks about it, with only a SINGLE copy of Beowulf surviving the Ashburnham House fire of 1731. Can you imagine what didn't survive? Shelves of unpublished and one of a kind writings were lost in that fire.

The vast majority of everything we know about ancient Rome pre-empire comes from Livy's Ab Urbe Condita Libri a collection of 142 "books" of which only 35 survived. Can you imagine the picture of Room we would have today had the other 75%+ survived? Can you imagine what we would know about the cultures that had nothing survive?

Even the the monumental number of gospels and books from the Old Testament that were destroyed are invaluable, or the Arzhang holy book, or the Book of Bai Ze. The loss of the rest of the works by the Ancient Greek Cyclic poets, of which only the Iliad and Odyssey survived is just heartbreaking.

To travel to ancient Ireland, Scotland, or Norway and witness firsthand their religions and cultures before Christian authors violated their histories and oral stories with their own insertions and modifications.....

So much of our collective history has been destroyed by ill chance and ignorance.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
23-03-2016, 05:57 PM
(18-03-2016 09:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 09:33 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  If I could bring recording equipment with me, and have what I bring back be verifiable, I'd like to go back and find out what really happened 2,000 years ago regarding Jesus. Oddly enough, I actually used to think this same thing when I was still a believer; I just had different expectations.

I'd like to go back even before Jesus, when God was a mere burning bush Wink

I might tag along, and bring a fire extinguisher....just in case.Tongue

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
23-03-2016, 06:09 PM
(23-03-2016 05:57 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 09:34 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I'd like to go back even before Jesus, when God was a mere burning bush Wink

I might tag along, and bring a fire extinguisher....just in case.Tongue

Laugh out load