Pastafarians are "strange"?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2016, 06:31 AM
Pastafarians are "strange"?
Yet another well intended lefty, questioning another lefty because they mock religion. My objection in this story is the use of the word "strange" and "ridiculous" for that matter.

Ridiculous to me is buying an old bronze age book that has no scientific credibility that makes claims about men popping out of dirt, talking donkeys and magic babies. So another well intended lefty suggests the colander in a drivers ID mocking religion "overshadows" the intent of the message.

No, instead of insisting that the blasphemer and critic refrain from such, maybe it would be wise for the believer to consider why such blasphemy is taking place. I think this is actually worse than outright theocratic bigotry because this allows the bigots to hide from scrutiny. The only reason such a tactic would get overshadowed is because of the author's placation of those being ridiculed. I love the empathy of the left, I don't like however, the idea that never offending as a blanket solution. If our species never questioned social norms, our species never would have left the caves.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/isaac-forn...12554.html

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2016, 06:33 AM
RE: Pastafarians are "strange"?
Stupid, made up religions are always the domain of "the other guy"...

Unlike the "one true god", that YOU worship.....

Funny how that works, eh??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
06-01-2016, 06:43 AM
(06-01-2016 06:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Stupid, made up religions are always the domain of "the other guy"...

Unlike the "one true god", that YOU worship.....

Funny how that works, eh??

Yep, that is why the left bothers me more in this context. They have the right idea of empathy and non violence, but stand in front of the sickos on the right without realizing it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2016, 07:13 AM
I suppose that like the other guy one does eat the body and drink the blood of the flying spaghetti monster?
06-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Quote:Part of my interest in this story was my belief that the ridiculousness of the colander overshadowed what could potentially be a real advocacy movement, that the popularity of the viral ID photo could be part of a reflection of a cultural shift away from religion and custom. Pastafarianism might be trending right now, but is the popularity of atheist performance art and activism a marker of a larger cultural shift toward secularism? Recent research has shown that Millennials are markedly less religious than previous generations. And while this trend has been observed before, many young people of past generations will opt to identify as "spiritual" rather than religious. This is also untrue for Millennials--we're just really, truly, not as invested in spirituality. Atheist activism like The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has all the makings of a successful Millennial social movement: it's catchy, it's absurd, and it's mostly organized online.
I don't understand what he's trying to say with this first phrase. It seems irrelevant to the rest of the article.

This "Head coverings only for religious reasons" policy makes absolutely zero sense to me. If they're willing to bend the rule over something as arbitrary as a personal belief, then why even have the rule at all?

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
06-01-2016, 08:15 AM
So, why act like there was something wrong with staying in the cave. That's just as another shade of the temperament.

Those types of rules and accepted patterns don't get turned over in a few months. They pretty much take more generational shifts to actually have any impact on seeing the point of scrutiny. Mimicry to expose the unequal range is a step that kinda has to happen or else what other form of power can be used?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-01-2016, 08:27 AM
(06-01-2016 08:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  So, why act like there was something wrong with staying in the cave. That's just as another shade of the temperament.

I don't remember the cave? Do you?