Pastor Kevin Swanson: Better To Drown Your Kids Than Let Them Read Harry Potter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-11-2015, 05:28 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2015 05:45 AM by Aliza.)
RE: Pastor Kevin Swanson: Better To Drown Your Kids Than Let Them Read Harry Potter
(11-11-2015 11:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 04:20 PM)Aliza Wrote:  It's nice to come from a religion where sex is celebrated and not demonized. Smile

I don't think that's true of all branches of Judaism. Consider

In my experience in both my upbringing and during my Judaic studies, sex has never been demonized and has been always been spoken about in high regard. The verses that Christians use to demonize sex are taken out of context and blown out of proportion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2015, 05:38 AM
RE: Pastor Kevin Swanson: Better To Drown Your Kids Than Let Them Read Harry Potter
(duplicate post)
12-11-2015, 05:58 AM
(12-11-2015 05:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 11:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think that's true of all branches of Judaism. Consider

In my experience in both my upbringing and during my Judaic studies, sex has never been demonized and has been always been spoken about in high regard. The verses that Christians use to demonize sex are taken out of context and blown out of proportion.

There's a lot of stuff in zer Bible about the value of virgins and so forth... How free are women really, in Jewish culture? If the male head of the household says jump, do you jump or do you tell him where he can stick it?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-11-2015, 06:10 AM
(12-11-2015 05:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 05:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  In my experience in both my upbringing and during my Judaic studies, sex has never been demonized and has been always been spoken about in high regard. The verses that Christians use to demonize sex are taken out of context and blown out of proportion.

There's a lot of stuff in zer Bible about the value of virgins and so forth... How free are women really, in Jewish culture? If the male head of the household says jump, do you jump or do you tell him where he can stick it?

.... Well, I'd tell him where to stick it, and I'd laugh at him for trying to keep me under his thumb. Why would I not? Why would any man even think he can tell me what to do purely on the grounds that he's male and I'm female? I'm a little stunned to hear that you're under the impression that Jewish men "wear the pants" in the family just because they're men.

I wrote another piece about the virgin thing in Jewish culture. I'll dig up the link if you want it, but the punchline is this: We don't disclose virginity on marital contracts anymore. The divorce settlement is the same whether she came to the marriage as a virgin or not.
12-11-2015, 06:43 AM
(12-11-2015 06:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 05:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  There's a lot of stuff in zer Bible about the value of virgins and so forth... How free are women really, in Jewish culture? If the male head of the household says jump, do you jump or do you tell him where he can stick it?

.... Well, I'd tell him where to stick it, and I'd laugh at him for trying to keep me under his thumb. Why would I not? Why would any man even think he can tell me what to do purely on the grounds that he's male and I'm female? I'm a little stunned to hear that you're under the impression that Jewish men "wear the pants" in the family just because they're men.

I wrote another piece about the virgin thing in Jewish culture. I'll dig up the link if you want it, but the punchline is this: We don't disclose virginity on marital contracts anymore. The divorce settlement is the same whether she came to the marriage as a virgin or not.

Among the ultraorthodox - the Hasidic ones who catch all the flak for extremism - the same?

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-11-2015, 06:56 AM
(12-11-2015 06:43 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 06:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  .... Well, I'd tell him where to stick it, and I'd laugh at him for trying to keep me under his thumb. Why would I not? Why would any man even think he can tell me what to do purely on the grounds that he's male and I'm female? I'm a little stunned to hear that you're under the impression that Jewish men "wear the pants" in the family just because they're men.

Among the ultraorthodox - the Hasidic ones who catch all the flak for extremism - the same?

The same among every Chassid I've ever met; and I've met quite a few.

If you dig up some youtube video of a black hat Jew beating up his daughter at the Kotel, or you find some cellphone video of a Jew talking bad to his wife, it's because they're assholes, and not because their religion or their culture teaches or even condones such behavior.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
12-11-2015, 06:59 AM
OK... well I learn something then Smile

12-11-2015, 07:54 AM
(12-11-2015 06:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(12-11-2015 05:58 AM)morondog Wrote:  There's a lot of stuff in zer Bible about the value of virgins and so forth... How free are women really, in Jewish culture? If the male head of the household says jump, do you jump or do you tell him where he can stick it?

In my house I always have the last word..."Yes, dear"
Big Grin Unsure

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 5 users Like Slowminded's post
12-11-2015, 10:27 AM
(12-11-2015 05:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(11-11-2015 11:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't think that's true of all branches of Judaism. Consider

The more misogynist branches of Judaism can't honor sex in a respectful or joyful manner. When men and women are not honored equally, then the attitudes toward sex are tainted by that.

Judaism has a better attitude toward sex than Christianity does, but that's a pretty low bar. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-11-2015, 12:01 PM
(10-11-2015 12:05 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
Quote:America, repent of your rebellion against God! America, repent of stumbling the little ones! America, repent of Harry Potter! America, repent of How to Train Your Dragon!
America, repent that Dumbledore emerged as a homosexual mentor for Harry Potter, that Hiccup’s mentor in How to Train Your Dragon emerged as a homosexual himself in order that history might repeat itself one more time, in order that little six- and seven- and eight-year-olds might stumble, in order that tens of millions of parents, it would be better for them that a millstone be hanged around childrens' necks and they be drowned at the bottom of the sea than that there would be so many people stumbling so many children in public schools, in movie theaters, in homes, in which children are raised to be stumbled by the Dumbledores and by the mentors of Hiccup in How to Train Your Dragon. My friends, America needs to repent… of our culture!

Link.

My question is, how can we push to get this guy arrested? Surely he's breaking some law here by advocating killing children? If we are a civil society, why should we allow this?

So you advocate the right to abort children by terminating pregnancies but not the right of someone to use metaphor (it was Jesus who gave the drown with a millstone metaphor) to condemn our fallen culture?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user