Pastor Ryan Bell's journey to "try out" atheism for a year

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Has anyone been reading about this fellow? I'm hearing encouragement from many sources for him. But PZ Myers seems to think he is undeserving of encouragement and only deserving of scorn. Not sure I'm with PZ on this one.

Personally, I think Mr. Bell could get a lot out of speaking to Jerry DeWitt of The Clergy Project.

Opinions?

EDIT: doh!
http://yearwithoutgod.com/

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
08-01-2014, 03:44 PM
RE: Pastor Ryan Bell's journey to "try out" atheism for a year
I've heard about that.

Is he "trying it out" to see how the other half lives or do you think it's a route to actual atheism???

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
08-01-2014, 03:45 PM
Admittedly, PZ's article is really more about something else but references Mr. Bell negatively.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2...ike-it-is/

08-01-2014, 03:47 PM
(08-01-2014 03:44 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  I've heard about that.

Is he "trying it out" to see how the other half lives or do you think it's a route to actual atheism???

That was my first thought. I do agree with PZ when he points out that this isn't just some cultural custom where all you're doing is trying on a uniform and some new ceremonies. It's a whole different mindset. It can't really be "tried out".

Maybe it's too soon to tell where he will end up. I hope to stay up to date on him and watch his progress though. He may learn something.

08-01-2014, 03:52 PM
Yea, that's one of the few points that PZ has made that I could agree with...

It may well be a stunt for popularity. "If I say I am trying out atheism for a year, then after that year I say my faith is stronger than ever and [insert crazy shit about how atheism made him miserable and lost blah blah blah] then maybe I will gain a boat load of followers!"

Watch dat space, haha.

"God is a thought who makes crooked all that is straight." - Nietzsche

You can follow/read my blog on religious text and things related at: http://alookatholytext.wordpress.com/
08-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Future candidate for clergy project?

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
08-01-2014, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 05:27 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-01-2014 03:47 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 03:44 PM)SpaceMonkey Wrote:  I've heard about that.

That was my first thought. I do agree with PZ when he points out that this isn't just some cultural custom where all you're doing is trying on a uniform and some new ceremonies. It's a whole different mindset. It can't really be "tried out".

Maybe it's too soon to tell where he will end up. I hope to stay up to date on him and watch his progress though. He may learn something.

Haven't read or watched any of the above, but that was my initial reaction. It's not like you "try out" what you WANT/CHOOSE to be the result of the search for truth, and have the option of rejecting it if you find it inconvenient. You suck it up, and face reality, no matter where it leads.
There are a lot of people out there who say religion is good as it's "useful", including some pretty smart people. Utilitarianism is a slippery slope.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
(08-01-2014 03:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 03:47 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  That was my first thought. I do agree with PZ when he points out that this isn't just some cultural custom where all you're doing is trying on a uniform and some new ceremonies. It's a whole different mindset. It can't really be "tried out".

Haven't read or watched or watched any of the above, but that was my initial reaction. It's not like you "try out" what you WANT/CHOOSE to be the result of the search for truth, and have the option of rejecting it if you find it inconvenient.
You suck it up, and face reality, no matter where it leads.
There are a lot of people out there who say religion is good as it's "useful", including some pretty smart people. Utilitarianism is a slippery slope.

Yup, we just watched one have a rather epic meltdown a couple days ago.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
08-01-2014, 05:05 PM
(08-01-2014 03:53 PM)Logisch Wrote:  Future candidate for clergy project?

Interesting, that was also my first thought for this guy. I even posted a comment on his blog suggesting he meet with Jerry DeWitt. I think, even if he decides he's still religious at the end of the year, he could get a lot out of a conversation with him.

We'll see.

08-01-2014, 07:11 PM
I'll agree that he doesn't automatically become an atheist by "trying it on", so to speak. But reading the blog (including his reaction to such corrections from atheists), he isn't trying to claim that this makes him an atheist. He seems genuinely interested in exploration, even if his initial word choice was less than ideal, and I certainly do not hold that against him.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post