Pastor Ryan Bell's journey to "try out" atheism for a year

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2014, 07:43 PM
RE: Pastor Ryan Bell's journey to "try out" atheism for a year
(08-01-2014 03:45 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Admittedly, PZ's article is really more about something else but references Mr. Bell negatively.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2...ike-it-is/

Can I just say, PZ gives me the creeps.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Pastor Ryan Bell's journey to "try out" atheism for a year
(08-01-2014 07:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 03:45 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Admittedly, PZ's article is really more about something else but references Mr. Bell negatively.

Why yes, you may!

Yeah I've been reading his blog for a couple years now. At first it was interesting reading his opinions. Perhaps I've matured a bit since then. Not sure. But lately he has posted things that give me pause.

On a couple occasions the words "cult of personality" have come to mind.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
08-01-2014, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't say he's "trying on atheism" based on what I've seen, I think he's seeing what life is like if he acts as I f there is no god (even if he still beleives) if I recall he titled one of his entries "what difference does god make?" I'm very interested to see what his conclusions are.
08-01-2014, 09:57 PM
(08-01-2014 07:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Isn't he what? o___O I can't read his stuff anymore. I hope Shermer bankrupts the hairy little git.

In fact, that whole site (FtB) is a nest of weirdos. They are to atheism what SDAs are to christianity.

-- Max

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am not afraid to go out of it that way.
[+] 1 user Likes nooneofconsequence's post
08-01-2014, 10:32 PM
It's the outsiders test of faith. He's just taking it to the extreme, for which I would applaud him. If he's sincere, then I would also applaud him for being so public about such a personal issue, as he's already made major sacrifices for his endeavor for enlightenment. Yes, he's getting publicity, but who knows how this will end up? If he's sincere then it's an awful big risk.

We can't know how honest he is being. But if he's sincere I would be willing to bet he's already 80 to 90% sure of his atheism, he just needs the incentive to go the rest of the way and be accepted for it.

Either that or he's just a fucking attention whore. It'll be interesting to watch it play out.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
08-01-2014, 10:38 PM
All I see is a gay man at odd with his faith.
Atheism is a cry for help.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
09-01-2014, 12:10 AM
(08-01-2014 10:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  It's the outsiders test of faith. He's just taking it to the extreme, for which I would applaud him. If he's sincere, then I would also applaud him for being so public about such a personal issue, as he's already made major sacrifices for his endeavor for enlightenment. Yes, he's getting publicity, but who knows how this will end up? If he's sincere then it's an awful big risk.

We can't know how honest he is being. But if he's sincere I would be willing to bet he's already 80 to 90% sure of his atheism, he just needs the incentive to go the rest of the way and be accepted for it.

Either that or he's just a fucking attention whore. It'll be interesting to watch it play out.

I don't think he's being genuine. Just my gut reaction.

I think he might be an attention whore too That really bugs me.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
09-01-2014, 12:16 AM
It is strange that he doesn't want to cast his Christian friends in a negative light... so he doesn't want to look at everything, good and bad, under the light? To experience truth and honesty, one sort of has to submerge to the whole and not just the parts. The bigger picture and all that.

It seems he wants to put a positive spin on the whole thing.

Quote:Perhaps if atheists and theists of various types practice the golden rule, which exists in every major religion and no-religion, we might assume the best of each other.

That's really nice and all, and Lord knows I love to look at the bright side of things too, but sometimes the ugly parts have to be addressed so they can also be dealt with. Just saying.
09-01-2014, 12:31 AM
(09-01-2014 12:10 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-01-2014 10:32 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  It's the outsiders test of faith. He's just taking it to the extreme, for which I would applaud him. If he's sincere, then I would also applaud him for being so public about such a personal issue, as he's already made major sacrifices for his endeavor for enlightenment. Yes, he's getting publicity, but who knows how this will end up? If he's sincere then it's an awful big risk.

I don't think he's being genuine. Just my gut reaction.

I think he might be an attention whore too That really bugs me.

Noted. That's why I repeated if he's sincere so much. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt until further evidence is shown. I am agnostic towards this story thus far.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
09-01-2014, 01:38 AM
For the sake of unity:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid460423
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid458046