Pastor found guilty of violating church law in officiating gay wedding

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Pastor found guilty of violating church law in officiating gay wedding
From the Patriot News

Here is the Story

Quote:A jury of 13 United Methodist pastors Monday evening found a fellow pastor from Lebanon County guilty of violating and disobeying church law when he officiated over the same-gender marriage of his son.

The Rev. Frank Schaefer will on Tuesday learn what sanctions or penalties are lodged against him when the church court proceeding reconvenes. Schaefer could be defrocked and lose all his credentials.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2013, 07:15 PM
RE: Pastor found guilty of violating church law in officiating gay wedding
One of the cool things about Christians not being able to agree on what their Bible says is that if the Methodists fire him he'll probably be able to get a job as a Lutheran minister. I don't think they're as hung up on homosexuality...

Oh yeah, and good for him for officiating his son's marriage. Smile

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
18-11-2013, 07:34 PM
The big question is what penalties are at stake here.

I knew a United Methodist minister here in Oregon who explained the whole business to me. The national organization voted that offering the sacrament of marriage to a same-sex couple was a violation of the faith and that all regional bodies had to establish penalties for that. The Oregon chapter voted that the penalty would be a suspension from all priestly orders and duties for a period of 24 hours.

Me: "Huh?"

Minister: "If anyone brings presses charges and the minister is found guilty of performing gay marriage, the punishment is that he or she gets a day off."

Me: "... I don't think that's what your national organization wanted."

Minister: "Nuts to them."

((Some paraphrasing here.))

Don't know the penalties in Pennsylvania, though. *reads story* ... huh. Defrocking. Sounds like they've got a bit of a different attitude about it than in Oregon.

United Methodists puts a high premium on individual conscience. This sounds like another piece (a significant one, but still a small one) in of the debate unfolding in one of the largest and most diverse Christian churches in the country.

(18-11-2013 07:15 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  One of the cool things about Christians not being able to agree on what their Bible says is that if the Methodists fire him he'll probably be able to get a job as a Lutheran minister. I don't think they're as hung up on homosexuality...

Which branch of Lutherism?
18-11-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure what branch exactly, I just remember feeling outraged that they ordained a lesbian minister several years ago before I came to my senses.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
18-11-2013, 08:30 PM
(18-11-2013 07:47 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I'm not sure what branch exactly, I just remember feeling outraged that they ordained a lesbian minister several years ago before I came to my senses.

Quite possibly ELCA. In 2009 they basically threw their hands up and left all the tough "do we consider gays people?" questions up to the consciences of the individual congregations. Luther's a very different tradition from Wesley, but they and the United Methodists have a full communion thing going on, so it might not be that huge a switch.
18-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Isn't it true if you live in Texas its easy to become a pastor as some become one just to get lower tax rates. So couldn't us athiests team up and just troll churches by holding gay weddings?

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
18-11-2013, 09:29 PM
I thought that there was a law that you cannot deny some1 service becouse of their sexuality,like that the person who didnt want to bake cakes for a gay wedding got sued. The pastor could say that the consequences of the law weight higher than his church,so thats why he did it.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....