Pastor healed by god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Pastor healed by god.
So my dad is trying to convert me back to christianity by telling me about pastors which have witnessed miracle, or have been healed by god.
Yesterday, he made me read about this famous norwegian pastor who had been in an traffic accident when he was younger and got some form of brain damage (not sure how severe but) and damage to the inner organs.
After 8 months of lying in a hospital, he supposedly felt "a warm oil moving around in his body" and he was healed and the doctors checked him the same day and found nothing was wrong with him anymore.

And from what I know about this guy, he seems "legit" and not like someone who would make things up, so I guess that would only make him delusional...

But the question is, if this sudden healing happened, how can it be explained?
is it something that could happen coincidentally?

I would think the 8 months could have an impact too...
but according to the story, he was in pretty bad shape up until the moment he got "healed".

Anyone got a good answer for this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2014, 04:25 AM
RE: Pastor healed by god.
Nope but a bloke I know says a mate of his has seen Elvis working in a chip shop where he lives.

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2014, 04:42 AM
(I'm not even going to bother looking up a more complete version of the story.) In no particular order:
-Dismissed on the grounds of being anecdotal evidence and not a repeatable experiment.
-The story is not nessercerily an accurate retelling of events.
-The injuries may have been at least partially psychosematic. (Psychoschematic?)
-Human error/ equipment failure gave false readings and he felt better due to a change in medication or something while actually being healed for a while. (That's happened to three people I know.)
-Other. (He was healed through an inexplicable natural, means that weren't dictated by his god.)

And a response with a couple of subsections: You find the story incongrous given other facts:
- People of other faiths are healed in a similar "miraculous" way.
-Why would god not intervene in other larger problems?
-If it chooses to limit itself to only healings like this then: "Why won't god heal amputees?"

And finally.
-If god was willing to intervene and create a miracle wouldn't god have made it immediately distinguishable as a miracle; without these other potential explanations?

Follow it up by telling him to sodomize himself with occams razor. (Don't do that. It's a terrible, idea. Potentially funny but terrible.)

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 8 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
10-12-2014, 04:58 AM
What about this guy? He's got a whole fucking website dedicated to his miracles:

http://miracles.gururaghavendra.org/

Seems legit... Dodgy

Seriously though, isn't it convenient that all the "damage" was internal? Call me when someone's amputated leg grows back.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 7 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
10-12-2014, 05:00 AM
(10-12-2014 04:42 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  -The injuries may have been at least partially psychosematic. (Psychoschematic?)

"Psychosomatic" Thumbsup

So, only pastors get healed? How does he explain the "miraculous healings" of people of other religions?

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
10-12-2014, 05:24 AM
So God liked this guy enough to heal him, but not enough to do it quickly instead of putting him through eight months that probably consisted of a lot of pain first?

Makes sense to me!

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 5 users Like CleverUsername's post
10-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Very good points made here.
Especially the one about amputees not miraculously getting their feet or arm grown out, and that people of other faith have the same miracle healing happening.

Points that might even get a believer to think... or maybe not Big Grin
10-12-2014, 05:32 AM
(10-12-2014 05:24 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  So God liked this guy enough to heal him, but not enough to do it quickly instead of putting him through eight months that probably consisted of a lot of pain first?

Makes sense to me!

Because freewill? Or some such bullshit...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-12-2014, 05:47 AM
It's always free will or mysterious ways :3
10-12-2014, 06:13 AM
You could find an instance of a Muslim getting a miraculous healing from Allah, I think there are even accounts of Jim Jones miraculously healing people in his cult. (just Google it)

Maybe a simple response would be that if god exists then why did god do his magic to him and not others that are suffering as much or more?

This can lead to a discussion on the problem of evil, plenty of discussion on this forum about that.

Is Suffering Compatible With God's Existence?

If you read this thread, watch and be amazed as all of the blathering talk by a theist boils down to a dodgy and nebulous definition of benevolence as well as a "Who are we to question god?" and "his ways are higher than our ways" repackaged with a lot of word salad.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition