Pastor healed by god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2014, 06:49 AM
RE: Pastor healed by god.
(10-12-2014 04:03 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  So my dad is trying to convert me back to christianity by telling me about pastors which have witnessed miracle, or have been healed by god.
Yesterday, he made me read about this famous norwegian pastor who had been in an traffic accident when he was younger and got some form of brain damage (not sure how severe but) and damage to the inner organs.
After 8 months of lying in a hospital, he supposedly felt "a warm oil moving around in his body" and he was healed and the doctors checked him the same day and found nothing was wrong with him anymore.

And from what I know about this guy, he seems "legit" and not like someone who would make things up, so I guess that would only make him delusional...

But the question is, if this sudden healing happened, how can it be explained?
is it something that could happen coincidentally?

I would think the 8 months could have an impact too...
but according to the story, he was in pretty bad shape up until the moment he got "healed".

Anyone got a good answer for this?

Ask to see the original medical records.
Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
10-12-2014, 06:58 AM
(10-12-2014 05:47 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  It's always free will or mysterious ways :3

mysteriously stupid ways at that
10-12-2014, 07:30 AM
I did a quick search, and couldn't find anything. This tells me 2 things.

1. It's an exaggerated story, and they don't have all of the facts, or it's completely made up.

2. They don't care enough to announce the power of the lord and his healing capacity to the world.

I used to work with MRDD, and I still go to visit the ladies I worked with a couple of times a month. Ask your dad if he or anyone he knows can come pray for them wit me to be healed of their brain damage.

It really comes down to the addictive gambler syndrome. They count their wins, and NEVER count their losses. If I prayed 20 times a day, eventually something is going to be "answered."

Explain to your dad that he is making a very honest mistake of confusing improbable with impossible. Also ask him why every week in every church across America they talk about miracles and the power of god to their audience, but when they are in debates they happen to forget that, and instead focus on "Why being a Christian is a good option." You go from selling people with having the creator of the universe on your side, to "The bible gives us a moral framework of which to operate." Yes, it does. Not a very good, one, but it does. Lets try to find a better one. Smile

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
10-12-2014, 09:04 AM
(10-12-2014 04:58 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Seriously though, isn't it convenient that all the "damage" was internal? Call me when someone's amputated leg grows back.

This x1000.

All of these miracles are never corroborated in any way as to make them credible. It'd be one things if the doctors were taking scans of this healing in real time, or at least, had several on a short enough time frame to claim that natural healing at that rate would be impossible. Sadly, we never get this evidence. All we have is
  • Guy is sick
  • Doctors agree
  • Time passes, guy gets better
  • Doctors agree

Also, on a side note, what's up with God feeling like "warm oil"? Gross.

(Somewhat NSFW)
[Image: forbidden_embrace.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-12-2014, 09:34 AM
ask him why he thinks his god would save this one guy while purposefully allowing 21,000 people (mostly kids) to die of hunger and hunger related causes. EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. seriously, every day 21k murdered? because he has the power to save, has a plan for them, and since they are mostly kids its not like they can really change their location, so that was where he placed them when they were born, right? Knowing he was just going to torture and off them with a slow horrible death. why?
And god chooses this thousands of times, every single day?

but yet, he saves this one guy with a warm oil?

I call bullshit.

figures from
http://www.poverty.com.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-12-2014, 09:34 AM
I used faith healing on both my buddy and his cat. It worked. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2014, 09:55 AM
Not much to add that hasn't already been said, but to this...

(10-12-2014 04:03 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  And from what I know about this guy, he seems "legit" and not like someone who would make things up...

...I just wanted to say you'd be surprised. Lying for Jesus can trump even the most honest peoples' usual standards because they see it as doing something morally good.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
10-12-2014, 09:59 AM
(10-12-2014 09:55 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Not much to add that hasn't already been said, but to this...

(10-12-2014 04:03 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  And from what I know about this guy, he seems "legit" and not like someone who would make things up...

...I just wanted to say you'd be surprised. Lying for Jesus can trump even the most honest peoples' usual standards because they see it as doing something morally good.

yes, the ends justify the means, its ok to lie if it brings in a believer.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
10-12-2014, 10:05 AM
(10-12-2014 04:03 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  So my dad is trying to convert me back to christianity by telling me about pastors which have witnessed miracle, or have been healed by god.
Yesterday, he made me read about this famous norwegian pastor who had been in an traffic accident when he was younger and got some form of brain damage (not sure how severe but) and damage to the inner organs.
After 8 months of lying in a hospital, he supposedly felt "a warm oil moving around in his body" and he was healed and the doctors checked him the same day and found nothing was wrong with him anymore.

And from what I know about this guy, he seems "legit" and not like someone who would make things up, so I guess that would only make him delusional...

but according to the story, he was in pretty bad shape up until the moment he got "healed".

Why does God play favorites?

B&A covers this point pretty thoroughly.

Either he loves all of us or he's a cliquish dick.
Nearly 100% of people aren't miraculously healed.
Ergo: God is a class A dick-a-saurus.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-12-2014, 11:51 AM

Coincidence. Perceived miracles, like seemingly answered prayers are just chance and circumstance. Lets say 20 million people buy lottery tickets, lets say 60% of them are christians who utter a "please god let me win"...one of them does, is that evidence of god answering their prayer, or chance and circumstance? it is chance and circumstance....but to that person, he or she will swear it is a miracle, the baby jesus answered my prayers, Look! I won the lottery. A tornado levels a small town, an old lady staggers out of the ruins as the only survivor...miracle? no, chance and circumstance....unless perhaps you believe god chose to let everyone else die...including the 60% population of the town minimum that is Xtian...

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)