Pastor loses job after questioning hell's existence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Big Grin Pastor loses job after questioning hell's existence
New book is spurring debate over the traditional view of hell as a place of eternal torment for damned souls

[Image: 110324-chad-holtz-hmed-7a.grid-7x2.jpg]
Chad Holtz was fired from his position as pastor of a church in Henderson, N.C., after posting on his Facebook page a defense of a forthcoming book by megachurch pastor Rob Bell, in which Bell challenges millions of Christians’ understanding of the afterlife.

DURHAM, N.C. — When Chad Holtz lost his old belief in hell, he also lost his job.

The pastor of a rural United Methodist church in North Carolina wrote a note on his Facebook page supporting a new book by Rob Bell, a prominent young evangelical pastor and critic of the traditional view of hell as a place of eternal torment for billions of damned souls.

Two days later, Holtz was told complaints from church members prompted his dismissal from Marrow's Chapel in Henderson. (Full Article)

Must be the Devil!Angel That's how it starts. Doubt one part of the fable, ticklings about other nonsensical aspects will soon follow.Good for you Chad. Good for you.
Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2011, 02:37 PM
RE: Pastor loses job after questioning hell's existence
Without the threat of hellfire and the promise of eternal life religion doesn't have that much to offer over secular existence other than a dumb set of rules.
I wonder which path this man will take :
Will he continue to doubt and abandon superstition altogether and think for himself ?
Or will he feel guilty and become a hard-liner ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-03-2011, 03:03 PM
If anything, maybe now he'll get an honorable, real job.

Be polite.
Be efficient.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
24-03-2011, 03:21 PM

What's so pathetic and yet funny at the same time about this story is, the people who complained about the man's personal revelation.
I can almost hear it, like some line from a comedy script. "He doesn't think we'll crisp if we're naughty! We don't want him to play with us anymore, because we want to believe in the fires!"
24-03-2011, 03:44 PM
For some reason, the pastor in Bruno comes to mind when I look at this guy's picture.

I play CityVille, and I need you as my neighbor!
I need a job too, so that I can play CityVille less.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-03-2011, 08:26 PM
He should have been a Catholic Priest instead. Those guys can do anything and not get fired.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
24-03-2011, 09:54 PM
A few things.

If the Vice President of McDonald's in charge of the Eastern Seabord of the United States posted, "McDonald's french fries sure do make people fat," he'd be fired too. Something about institutional loyalty. I mention this only to quell the shock factor of Holtz's firing.

The important thing to note is that both Holtz and Bell are Evangelicals. This idea has emerged from within the most extreme and sadly, seemingly the most entrenched, branch of Christianity. But there they are. In all their glory.

Victor Hugo once wrote, "On résiste à l'invasion des armées; on ne résiste pas à l'invasion des idées." I have long had a problem with the rather hate-filled theology that says that all non-believers will burn in hell. The glee from some so-called Christians who pronounce to the world that an unbaptised innocent child dying prematurely of cancer will burn in hell because her chemo-robbed bald head was never touched by holy water is something that has long made me sick and, I suspect, made many people here sick too. It is an idea so bursting with malice that I have also known that it was not an idea that could last. And here we have it. The inevitability of the new idea. And Chad Holtz has paid the price for being its vanguard. When the wave comes, no amount of firing and no measure of resistance will stop it. And that is a good thing. We live in a world governed by hate. It's good to see love making a comeback.

While not a Christian myself, this theology of love is what I am accustomed to. When I hear people speak of the followers of Jesus Christ as monsters, I weep. Because I know better. The followers of Christ I know are among the most beautiful, joyous, loving and self-sacrificing people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. These are the yin I speak of when I oppose the yang of the hate filled destroyers offered as the norm by some in these forums. My fondest hope is that these people of love will flourish.

Rob Bell. This is a very important man. I think I'm going to love him.

Quote:"For a 1st-century Jewish rabbi, where you go when you die wasn't the most pressing question," Bell told The Associated Press. "The question was how can you enter into the shalom and peace of God right now, this day."

Amen, brother. Amen.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-03-2011, 10:20 PM

This reminds me of the "gospel of inclusion" and other unitarian type ideas. The beauty of it, is that the churches can actually accept people that disagree with them because there is no harm in it. Of course it is a stepping stone in many ways to atheism
24-03-2011, 10:22 PM
(24-03-2011 03:44 PM)13mentaculus Wrote:  For some reason, the pastor in Bruno comes to mind when I look at this guy's picture.

Part of that movie was filmed at one of our local TV stations.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
25-03-2011, 06:31 AM
He will most likely get a job speaking for a different church, maybe a new age one. Unless he spends time needing work he will probably not ignore his life long focus.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.