Pastor of former church I attended refuses to rescind membership until we 'talk' ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Sad Pastor of former church I attended refuses to rescind membership until we 'talk' ...
All,

I've been an atheist since February of 2012 (agnostic from December 2011) and after receiving a letter in the mail from the local Baptist church I had been a member of until then, I realized that I had never sent a request to be taken off of their membership role. I shot an email through the church contact page requesting to have my membership rescinded/cancelled and promptly got a response from the pastor telling me that he wouldn't do that until we 'talked' about it.

My conundrum: I'm what you might consider a 'nice guy'. I don't like confrontation and avoid it when I can. Another thing: this pastor is one who I would effectively be wasting any breath on, as he would not be open to any kind of rational discussion and would instead be bent on forcing me to accept his views (really...the guy is out there...one thing that initially made me start thinking was his assertion that Noah's curse on Canaan in Genesis is why the people of African descent have been slaves to Jews and white people Shocking WTF)

I'm trying to write a polite email back, but frankly I am at a loss for words. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like freethinker1987's post
13-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Pastor of former church I attended refuses to rescind membership until we 'talk' ...
Just insist politely and leave clear that you don't want/need to talk about your stance and you don't want to waste anyone's time. If they don't take you out just sue them Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Pastor issues
"Just insist politely and leave clear that you don't want/need to talk about your stance and you don't want to waste anyone's time"

Good way to start.

don't sue them just yet...If anything just file a restraining order, better to ignore them than cause more confrontation (being that you said you avoid it when you can)...If the restraining order doesn't work THEN take them to court. Whatever you do, in this polite email DO NOT use the A word (atheist). In my personal experience from southern baptist (whole family), as soon as the A word comes up its like a spur to a horse, just makes em drive harder. Just say you are no longer interested in attending church and feel you are better off just staying at home.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
[+] 1 user Likes Likos02's post
13-04-2013, 09:28 PM
RE: Pastor of former church I attended refuses to rescind membership ...
So what are the consequences if they don't take you off of the roll?

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-04-2013, 11:23 PM
RE: Pastor of former church I attended to membership until we 'talk' ...
Really you owe them nothing further. It's irrelevant. You asked nicely for them to remove you. There is no other discussion. If they call, don't answer the phone, if they come to your house, stick a NO SOLICITATION sign outside...even if you just print it off the computer.

I wouldn't waste a lot of thought on this or time, or energy. Once you haven't shown up for a while, they'll remove you -- or they won't. It doesn't matter either way.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-04-2013, 02:13 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013 02:19 AM by cufflink.)
RE: Pastor refuses to rescind membership until we 'talk' ...
There's a time to be a nice guy, and a time to assert yourself and get rid of noxious connections. This is the latter.

If I were in your position, I'd write them a curt e-mail along the lines of, "I have rescinded my membership in your church. My decision is final and not open to discussion. Please remove my name from your rolls immediately. Thank you."

You owe the pastor nothing more than that.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 10 users Like cufflink's post
14-04-2013, 03:23 AM
(14-04-2013 02:13 AM)cufflink Wrote:  There's a time to be a nice guy, and a time to assert yourself and get rid of noxious connections. This is the latter.

If I were in your position, I'd write them a curt e-mail along the lines of, "I have rescinded my membership in your church. My decision is final and not open to discussion. Please remove my name from your rolls immediately. Thank you."

You owe the pastor nothing more than that.

This

Ask yourself, is anything in that response that is "not nice"?....I can't see anything.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
[+] 1 user Likes Heywood Jahblome's post
14-04-2013, 03:25 AM
RE: Pastor of former church I attended refuses to rescind membership ...
(13-04-2013 09:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  So what are the consequences if they don't take you off of the roll?

Maybe he makes it into heaven anyways via a clerical error.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
[+] 6 users Like Heywood Jahblome's post
14-04-2013, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 05:57 PM by DLJ.)
I'd go with...

I would be happy to come and talk to you about my new found beliefs.

I listened intently to what you have taught me over the years and this is one of the factors that has made me what I am today. I will be forever grateful.

I have, however, moved away from the Baptist ideals and can no longer genuinely be counted as one of its numbers. It would be hypocritical so to do. For this reason I think it is best to be taken off of the membership roll.

I appreciate that you are concerned for my well-being and would be happy to come and chat as equals who hold different beliefs. You, no doubt would like to remind me of the joy you find in a Baptist worldview and I would be happy to enlighten you about the peace and freedom I have found in Islam.

Yours etc.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
14-04-2013, 05:04 AM
RE: Pastor of former church I attended refuses to rescind membership
If "being a member" doesn't legally obligate you to anything, just walk away.

Don't make a legal issue unless the pastor is going around publicly claiming you as a member for some reason.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Abdul Alhazred's post