Pastor of former church I attended refuses to rescind membership until we 'talk' ...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2013, 05:10 PM
RE: Pastor of former church...
(23-04-2013 04:58 PM)BrianD Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 02:59 AM)Abdul Alhazred Wrote:  I misunderstood. You meant another congregation of the same denomination.

I was thinking along the lines of (say) a Baptist going Methodist.
Or {shudder} Catholic. Cool

Abdul, unfortunately with some of the churches of the Reformed Calvinist persuasion in the Southern Baptist Convention, it's church policy to contact any church in the case of a dispute. Even if it's Methodist, Church of Christ, etc.

This was policy with the last church I was a member of.

Whether the other church listens to the Calvinists or not depends on the other church. Some will listen and oblige, some will listen and won't oblige.

If it's merely the church member deciding that he is really a Presbyterian, or Methodist, or Catholic, then likely he will be allowed to go on his way.

It's when the church leadership acts screwy - and the person being 'disciplined' take exception to the screwyness - that you have problems.

Fucking petty, vindictive dickheads call themselves Christian? Blink

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2013, 10:42 PM
(23-04-2013 05:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fucking petty, vindictive dickheads call themselves Christian? Blink

There is more vindictiveness and pettiness in evangelical Christianity than one might care to admit, Chas Sad
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like BrianD's post
27-04-2013, 02:08 AM
(26-04-2013 10:42 PM)BrianD Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 05:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Fucking petty, vindictive dickheads call themselves Christian? Blink

There is more vindictiveness and pettiness in evangelical Christianity than one might care to admit, Chas Sad

Been there. Seen it, dude.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
02-05-2013, 12:46 PM
(23-04-2013 05:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 04:58 PM)BrianD Wrote:  Abdul, unfortunately with some of the churches of the Reformed Calvinist persuasion in the Southern Baptist Convention, it's church policy to contact any church in the case of a dispute. Even if it's Methodist, Church of Christ, etc.

This was policy with the last church I was a member of.

Whether the other church listens to the Calvinists or not depends on the other church. Some will listen and oblige, some will listen and won't oblige.

If it's merely the church member deciding that he is really a Presbyterian, or Methodist, or Catholic, then likely he will be allowed to go on his way.

It's when the church leadership acts screwy - and the person being 'disciplined' take exception to the screwyness - that you have problems.

Fucking petty, vindictive dickheads call themselves Christian? Blink

Pretty much...and keep in mind that a good amount will do this to each other behind their backs (which in turn spreads to family culture).
02-05-2013, 03:41 PM
(26-04-2013 10:42 PM)BrianD Wrote:  

I haven't been sympathetic to church burning in the past ... Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2013, 03:51 PM
RE: Pastor of former church I attended ref
Freakin' Baptists...

[Image: vjp09.gif]
04-05-2013, 07:04 PM
(02-05-2013 03:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-04-2013 10:42 PM)BrianD Wrote:  There is more vindictiveness and pettiness in evangelical Christianity than one might care to admit, Chas Sad

I haven't been sympathetic to church burning in the past ... Consider

That won't work, Chas. Committing arson, breaking the law...not really worth it even if it feels good Wink

What needs to be done is for the people to smarten up. You'll never get rid of the arrogant bastards and control freaks in churches completely, but a lot of this crap would stop if the rank and file would speak up and police themselves. As is, many look the other way, and those who can't abide walk out.
06-05-2013, 05:00 AM
RE: Pastor of former church I attended
I'm a nice person and I don't like upsetting anyone if I can help it. But sometimes you need to be assertive. And ministers usually are self rightous people.

I think Cufflink nailed it myself

O.M.D. ('cause the dog is real)
10-05-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: Pastor of former church ... refuses to rescind membership until we 'talk' ...
A simple "Thanks for your concern. I prefer not to discuss my personal decision at this time." ought to suffice.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 2 users Like Scully's post
14-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Pastor of former church I attended refuses to rescind membership until we 'talk' ...
maybe you could fax a de-baptismal certificate from FFRF.

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!