Pastor's son commits suicide

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Pastor's son commits suicide
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/06...s-suicide/

This is tragic. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child to suicide. In instances like this, I'm glad I'm an atheist. To imagine god created your son with mental illness, let him suffer, and then... Well, I can't imagine with his views he believes suicide leads to heaven. I personally believe he's finally at peace.

Hug your kids.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like guitar_nut's post
06-04-2013, 05:08 PM
RE: Pastor's son commits suicide
(06-04-2013 05:07 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/06...s-suicide/

This is tragic. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child to suicide. In instances like this, I'm glad I'm an atheist. To imagine god created your son with mental illness, let him suffer, and then... Well, I can't imagine with his views he believes suicide leads to heaven. I personally believe he's finally at peace.

Hug your kids.

Already a thread about this in the world news section

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
I suck.

Mods, delete please!

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
06-04-2013, 05:23 PM
$100 bucks it comes out the poor guy was gay, living in a religious environment, conflicted as hell by all the BS he had been fed since a child.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

06-04-2013, 07:02 PM
(06-04-2013 05:23 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  $100 bucks it comes out the poor guy was gay, living in a religious environment, conflicted as hell by all the BS he had been fed since a child.

Maybe that's been my problem the past couple years. Weeping

Can I have the $100? Consider

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
06-04-2013, 10:03 PM
This is tragic.

I feel extremely sorry for the family.

Bucky makes a good point....but he's only guessing. We don't know the details.

Yet....one has to wonder how often fundamentalist beliefs are contributing factors in mental illness. In my blog about just this, it's ironic that I mention Rick Warren...

"Fear of Hell
The fear of hell is one of the most insidiously evil aspects of Christianity. The very existence of such a place means God is a sadistic, petulant, nasty dictator.

People are told that their life will be judged in the next. The Purpose-Driven Life, written by Rick Warren, is a very popular book in Evangelical circles, with over 30 million copies sold. He writes,
“One day you will stand before God, and he will do an audit of your life, a final exam, before you enter eternity…he will ask us two crucial questions…First, ‘What did you do with my Son, Jesus Christ?’…Second, ‘What did you do with what I gave you?’…the second question will determine what you do in eternity…At the end of your life on earth you will be evaluated and rewarded according to how well you handled what God entrusted to you. That means everything you do…has eternal consequences.” Imagine how that affects people’s peace of mind! He’s sourcing this idea directly from the ubiquitous Paul:
“For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad” (2 Cor. 5:10, KJV).
“But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ” (Rom. 14;10, KJV). Paul even taught God could read people’s thoughts:
“We are not trying to please men but God, who can read our inmost thoughts” (1 Thess. 2:4, KJV).

Paul presumed life was a mere prelude to the big judgment. No wonder he was so anxious.

Jesus threatened people with hell. He also warned them to be ever on their guard:
“And this know, that if the good man of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not” (Luke 12:39–40, KJV).

He said all their secrets would be made public in the afterlife:
“For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known. Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops” (Luke 12:2–3, KJV).

There’s no place to hide from the celestial dictator. He knows what you’re thinking, he’s watching when you go to the toilet and when you close your bedroom door, and one day he’s going to tell everyone what you’ve been up to. He’s going to be very busy spreading gossip. It might be titillating to hear what one’s neighbours got up to for the first, oh, day perhaps...but after that, the novelty might wear off.
To imagine one’s under constant surveillance must be unpleasant, and for some is a source of anxiety and paranoia.

A patient of mine once handed me a fake one million dollar note with this printed on it:

“The million dollar question. Will you go to Heaven? Here’s a quick test. Have you ever told a lie, stolen anything, or used God’s name in vain? Have you looked with lust? Which is the adultery of the heart in God’s eyes. Will you be guilty on Judgment Day? If you have done those things, God sees you as a lying, thieving, blasphemous adulterer at heart. The Bible warns that if you are guilty you will end up in Hell. That’s not God’s will. He sent His Son to suffer and die on the cross for you. Jesus took your punishment upon himself: God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. Then he rose from the dead and defeated death. Please repent (turn from your sin) today and trust in Jesus, and God will grant you everlasting life. Then read your Bible daily and obey it.”

I didn’t laugh because, for her, this was very serious. The sad thing wasn’t that she insulted my intelligence, but that she believed god was watching her that closely. I thanked her for her concern, wrote a repeat prescription for her anti-anxiety pill, and put it in her trembling little hand. I was doing my best, but I couldn’t help her realize she was OK. I was pitted against fifty years of preaching from the pulpit.
A dog is content with a full stomach. A baby is happy if warm, fed and loved. Both are able to enjoy the present. Many people find it hard to do that because they’re too worried what will happen when they die.

Corrupt autocrats concocted threats of hell to control the public. For centuries churches have used the horror of hell to profit from people, and is one reason why they’ve been so successful for so long. It’s time this stopped.

There’s no judgment after life, just a sublimely peaceful non-existence."

Rick Warren's son is now enjoying a sublimely peaceful non-existence.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
06-04-2013, 10:06 PM
(06-04-2013 05:20 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  I suck.

Mods, delete please!

Your post is great! Don't delete it.
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
(06-04-2013 10:03 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The fear of hell is one of the most insidiously evil aspects of Christianity. The very existence of such a place means God is a sadistic, petulant, nasty dictator.

Jesus threatened people with hell. He also warned them to be ever on their guard:
“And this know, that if the good man of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. Be ye therefore ready also: for the Son of man cometh at an hour when ye think not” (Luke 12:39–40, KJV).

Just a little nitpicking ...
While this is true, in the present, I disagree about Jebus. He was a Jewish apocalyptic. That's what he was talking about, if indeed those words were not just "placed in his mouth" (as a literary device). There is no way to know.

The Hebrews did not believe in eternal life, or eternal suffering, or a judgemnet day. So all that shit got cooked up later, and slapped onto the cult as later developments. Paul thought those who believed had ALREADY been granted eternal life, and those that didn't, just ceased to exist.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

06-04-2013, 10:57 PM
(06-04-2013 10:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-04-2013 10:03 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  The fear of hell is one of the most insidiously evil aspects of Christianity. The very existence of such a place means God is a sadistic, petulant, nasty dictator.

Just a little nitpicking ...
While this is true, in the present, I disagree about Jebus. He was a Jewish apocalyptic. That's what he was talking about, if indeed those words were not just "placed in his mouth" (as a literary device). There is no way to know.

The Hebrews did not believe in eternal life, or eternal suffering, or a judgemnet day. So all that shit got cooked up later, and slapped onto the cult as later developments. Paul thought those who believed had ALREADY been granted eternal life, and those that didn't, just ceased to exist.

Yep. If Jesus ever existed, he wouldn't have said this.
We're talking about "Jeebus" here.
07-04-2013, 09:46 AM
So the kid has a great day with his family and goes home and shoots himself right.? No way theres a cover up.He was probably shot by a gay lover or something? The anti gay therapy his parents made him undertake made him mentally ill? Mk Ultra mind control something? Rick Warren hangs with some heavy hitters in the world of evil and I don't believe that kid grew up in the home that's being portrayed. No way.more will surface.