Pastor trying to capitalize on the Charleston shooting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2015, 07:13 AM
RE: Pastor trying to capitalize on the Charleston shooting
Quote:As a Humanist, I have seen the positive impact of people's action on others lives. This includes actions that you have taken to help others. These actions I believe are because you desire to help people, not because a God has done it.

If there is evidence, then point me in the right direction. I have studied many of the top Christian apologetics, as well as secular scholars, I have read the bible, prayed, and given my time and money to the church. I have believed, but when it came to evidence, all I was left with was cases of confirmation bias. So if you have evidence that not only there is a God, but the Christianity is the correct religion I will be more than happy to take the time to study it.

My issue with your post is that you essentially turned a tragedy into a sales pitch while slamming people who don't agree with your religion as the cause.

We could get into a very long conversation about the authenticity of the bible, history of scripture and Jesus, as well as forgeries and interpolations but this is not the time or place.

I do welcome that conversation if you would like to have it sometime either as a debate or just in person.

Well constructed and succinctly stated. You've done what you can do. Watch out for the lightning bolts from Zeus. ;-)

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post
23-06-2015, 08:43 AM
Right on cue: I'm scrolling through Facebook and someone shared an article about the police purchasing a Burger King meal for the Charleston shooter after arresting him and of course one of the first comments was some fat fuck Christian saying it had nothing to with race and claimed the shooter was an atheist and it was an attack on God.

I didn't bother to comment on the article but rather sent this asshole a lovely PM. I don't want to get in trouble by posting the guys name here, but if you want to read his comments I can PM you his name and you can follow his page to his comments on the article.
24-06-2015, 05:12 AM
(23-06-2015 08:43 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Right on cue: I'm scrolling through Facebook and someone shared an article about the police purchasing a Burger King meal for the Charleston shooter after arresting him and of course one of the first comments was some fat fuck Christian saying it had nothing to with race and claimed the shooter was an atheist and it was an attack on God.

I didn't bother to comment on the article but rather sent this asshole a lovely PM. I don't want to get in trouble by posting the guys name here, but if you want to read his comments I can PM you his name and you can follow his page to his comments on the article.

I would love to read his comments. Could you please PM me his name? Thanks

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
25-06-2015, 07:11 AM
And more.....

Once again you refuse to respond to the issues I raised.

What issue did you raise? That there are stars? Yes, I believe there are stars.
If it is something else, then please let me know what issue I missed and I can address it

Heb. 11:6 Richard.

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

Heb 11:6 is interesting. Why it is interesting is because it essentially tells you if you first have faith then the rest will make sense. The problem with that, is that you can apply it to any religion, or just about anything. If you start off believing that the Quran is the perfect word of god, you have the same result. If you believe that Joseph found the golden plates, then you are a mormon. Those are two things that I believe we can agree on are not true Tony Scott.

The difference between you and I is that if you applied the same level of skepticism to Christianity that you do to other religions, then you wouldn't be a Christian. Just as if you applied to same faith that you do to Christianity to a different religion, you would be that religion.

A skeptical thinker looks for supporting evidence for their beliefs. Faith is pretending to know things you don't know. Confirmation bias is what allows people to think think that what they believe is correct even if it isn't. It is very important to remember that correlation does not equal causation.

The thing with Heb 11:6 is that you can look at many people who are non-believers now, who were believers (as most of us become early on in life) and sought God, believed with all of their heart, and it wasn't until they learned to think logically that they realized they were wrong. On the other side, you can look at current believers, I have not seen any evidence that people who truly believe and seek as Heb 11:6 says, have any difference in their lives than people who don't. Good stuff and bad stuff happen to everybody regardless of their belief system. I will concede that if someone is going to be a horrible person and murder others if they don't believe there is a god, then I would rather have them believe there is a god. There is no evidence to support that claim though.

A great example of this would be the shooting that you referenced originally. I would have no reason to believe that these victims weren't true believers seeking God, and actually in the middle of a prayer session were gunned down senselessly because of the color of their skin. How can you explain that if "he rewards those who earnestly seek him?"

I hope that I've answered your question, now I would ask that you please answer the questions that you have not answered that I have asked.

Like I said earlier, I would love to discuss all of that further either just in person, or as a debate.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post