Pathos article atheists can identify with.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2017, 06:36 AM
Since being online since 2001 on an almost daily basis, I hear constant stories like the one you are about to read. The more disturbing ones to me are the ones that involve teens having to live in silence, or have been kicked out of the house. My younger sister came out as an adult and our biological family did not respond well to it, but after some time, they have accepted it even though we know they still don't like it.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...us-mother/

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
19-09-2017, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2017 05:29 PM by Rachel.)
Thank you for posting that article. Richard Wade’s response was excellent. I’ve dealt with hyper-religious emotional abuse at work but I’ve never had to deal with it in a familial setting, thankfully. My mother-in-law died from Alzheimer’s a number of years ago and my own parents passed long before. They were indifferent religious people, the difference in their religion having driven them from their respective countries shortly before my birth.

The article deserves a thoughtful reading. It points out how religion drives people apart instead of bringing them together. It may also highlight how religion either attracts crazies or drives sane people over the edge.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Rachel's post
20-09-2017, 07:29 AM
RE: Pathos article atheists can identify with.
I thought it was strange that, at the beginning of the letter, she only confided her lack of belief to her husband and a few close friends. Later, she says she converted to Catholicism to please her husband's family. Is he an atheist? A Catholic?

Consider
20-09-2017, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2017 07:42 AM by BikerDude.)
Part of "coming out" and admitting you are an atheist may be admitting that your mother is an asshole.
The weight of denying that your mother is an asshole often outweighs the weight of upholding the existence of false Gods.
Admitting it is like a giant weight off your shoulders.
It's no sin.
Many mothers are assholes.
And that's like cool and all.
Lost my train of thought there.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
22-09-2017, 10:10 AM
(20-09-2017 07:39 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Part of "coming out" and admitting you are an atheist may be admitting that your mother is an asshole.
The weight of denying that your mother is an asshole often outweighs the weight of upholding the existence of false Gods.
It's no sin.
Well more generically it's rejecting received "wisdom" from whoever served as your mentor / teacher / protector in childhood. That could as easily be your father or some parental proxy. If such person(s) believed that your character and integrity are in peril if you cease to believe, then rejecting god is perceived as rejecting them. The better ones get over it; some do not.

As to whether the term "asshole" applies, or merely "mistaken", depends a great deal on their execution of their duties, how they nurtured you (or not).

My parents were not assholes, in fact, they were pretty good parents despite their Christian fundamentalist beliefs, often transcending them. If they had lived long enough to see my apostasy I know 110% that they would still love and accept me as a human being no matter how concerned / disturbed they were. They would be able to separate my love and respect for them from my lack of love / respect for their deity. They would in fact pray to their deity on my behalf anyway. Also they were excellent at minding their own business once I was an adult so they would not even hint at the subject unless I invited it. I suppose that's unusual, but it can't be rare. Good parenting transcends personal ideology just as it should transcend, e.g., personal sexual orientation or any number of other things.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
22-09-2017, 10:42 AM
(22-09-2017 10:10 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(20-09-2017 07:39 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  Part of "coming out" and admitting you are an atheist may be admitting that your mother is an asshole.
It's no sin.
Well more generically it's rejecting received "wisdom" from whoever served as your mentor / teacher / protector in childhood. That could as easily be your father or some parental proxy. If such person(s) believed that your character and integrity are in peril if you cease to believe, then rejecting god is perceived as rejecting them. The better ones get over it; some do not.

As to whether the term "asshole" applies, or merely "mistaken", depends a great deal on their execution of their duties, how they nurtured you (or not).

My parents were not assholes, in fact, they were pretty good parents despite their Christian fundamentalist beliefs, often transcending them. If they had lived long enough to see my apostasy I know 110% that they would still love and accept me as a human being no matter how concerned / disturbed they were. They would be able to separate my love and respect for them from my lack of love / respect for their deity. They would in fact pray to their deity on my behalf anyway. Also they were excellent at minding their own business once I was an adult so they would not even hint at the subject unless I invited it. I suppose that's unusual, but it can't be rare. Good parenting transcends personal ideology just as it should transcend, e.g., personal sexual orientation or any number of other things.

Potato potahto.
Asshole Christian.
If we are going to engage in hair splitting this might get tedious.
Just saying.
Bring on the end times and let their God sort em out I say.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
08-11-2017, 12:13 AM
Good to read the article.
08-11-2017, 10:40 AM
As an Aussie, it intrigues me that this kind of scenario so often rears its ugly head in American families. The letter writer seems to be bogged down in a quagmire of contradictory emotions and self-perception and divided loyalties. The simple answer, and the best long-term one? Tell all of these fuckers that you're an atheist, and let them sort it out amongst themselves; it's their problem, and not the letter writer's. I'm really sick of seeing atheists having to repeatedly compromise their own lifestyle choices, and suffer all this sort of bullshit projected unfairly on them by the God-botherers.

—I note that Christianity is the most adhered to religion in the US, with 75% of polled American adults identifying themselves as Christian. [2015, Gallup/Pew]. And around 62% of those polled attending church. The US has the largest Christian population in the world, with nearly 280 million Christians.

Those figures for Australia are 52% (v. 75%) as Christian, and 25% (v. 62%) attending church. Therein lies the possible explanation for the US theist/atheist dilemma?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
08-11-2017, 11:09 AM
(08-11-2017 10:40 AM)SYZ Wrote:  —I note that Christianity is the most adhered to religion in the US, with 75% of polled American adults identifying themselves as Christian. [2015, Gallup/Pew]. And around 62% of those polled attending church. The US has the largest Christian population in the world, with nearly 280 million Christians.

Those figures for Australia are 52% (v. 75%) as Christian, and 25% (v. 62%) attending church. Therein lies the possible explanation for the US theist/atheist dilemma?

That's only if you believe what people are telling the pollsters. In fact, those numbers do not square with reality, because people too often tell pollsters what they think is "the right answer" instead of the truth.

7 Startling Facts: An Up Close Look at Church Attendance in America

The report is long, but worth reading. Key points:
Quote:1. Less than 20 percent of Americans regularly attend church—half of what the pollsters report.

2. American church attendance is steadily declining.

3. Only one state is outpacing its population growth. (That would be Hawaii.)

4. Mid-sized churches are shrinking; the smallest and largest churches are growing.

5. Established churches—40 to 190 years old—are, on average, declining.

6. The increase in churches is only 1/4 of what’s needed to keep up with population growth.

7. In 2050, the percentage of the U.S. population attending church will be almost half of what it was in 1990.

So, Rest Of The World, don't give up on the USA just yet. It seems we are actually more into lying than religion. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
09-11-2017, 12:36 PM
(08-11-2017 11:09 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  So, Rest Of The World, don't give up on the USA just yet. It seems we are actually more into lying than religion. Tongue

That's totally different. What a relief. Tongue

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post