Patio Garden Box

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Patio Garden Box
These days we live in a condo. We would like to grow some herbs and vegetables, but I've had no luck getting the HOA interested in a community garden. Since I don't want to tear out the well established landscaping that surrounds our patio area all we have to work with is the 324 sq ft paved patio area. This area also has to accommodate some patio furniture, a fire pit, the barbeque grill and leave enough room for the dog to do his business.

My solution is a 4' x 4' two tier raised planter. It is about 18" deep on the main level. The second tier is 21" x 21" x 11". That's about 13 sq ft of surface area. It's filled with 30 cubic ft of a mix of compost, peat, garden and potting soil. The plan is to use this as a herb garden.

[Image: BibUT4L.jpg]

We also plan on adding 5 large planters on rolling caddies for some tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and okra.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Popeye's Pappy's post
03-03-2017, 12:46 PM
RE: Patio Garden Box
(03-03-2017 12:42 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  These days we live in a condo. We would like to grow some herbs and vegetables, but I've had no luck getting the HOA interested in a community garden. Since I don't want to tear out the well established landscaping that surrounds our patio area all we have to work with is the 324 sq ft paved patio area. This area also has to accommodate some patio furniture, a fire pit, the barbeque grill and leave enough room for the dog to do his business.

My solution is a 4' x 4' two tier raised planter. It is about 18" deep on the main level. The second tier is 21" x 21" x 11". That's about 13 sq ft of surface area. It's filled with 30 cubic ft of a mix of compost, peat, garden and potting soil. The plan is to use this as a herb garden.

[Image: BibUT4L.jpg]

We also plan on adding 5 large planters on rolling caddies for some tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and okra.

That'll work. Smile

You won't be rolling your squash and tomatoes around though unless you stake them - painstakingly so. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-03-2017, 01:07 PM
(03-03-2017 12:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  That'll work. Smile

You won't be rolling your squash and tomatoes around though unless you stake them - painstakingly so. Tongue

It won't be the first time I've grow that sort of thing in planters. Mom is going to donate the 27" planters to the cause, and I'm planning to use some welded wire fencing as a cage in each of the pots. I'll just make a circle the size of the inside diameter of the pot and bury it about foot deep. That will give us a pretty stable cage about 3' tall around the plants. I've had better luck doing it this way in the past than trying to use one of those cheap ass tomato cages they sell at the big box stores.

03-03-2017, 01:42 PM
Awesome! That's a nice space Smile What herbs will you grow?

Are you located somewhere you can plant now? I still have about a month before I can plant my peas and lettuces directly outside.
I actually just got more seeds today (well, some of them. I won't get my potatoes and other warmer weather seeds yet)

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
03-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Unfortunately no. We had frost this morning and average last frost around here is April 15th. We started our seeds two weeks ago this weekend though, and everything is up except the rosemary. I'm thinking about attaching a frame of 1/2" PVC over it that we can throw some plastic over so we can get an early start.

As far as what we've got oregano, basil, parsley, marjoram, cilantro, and the rosemary for the box. The rosemary will probably go in the top, and we may add some other stuff like lettuces, garlic and onions later if there is room once we start planting. For the pots we've got 3 kinds of tomatoes, yellow summer squash and zucchini, green peppers, cucumbers and okra.

[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
03-03-2017, 02:56 PM
We should start a garden thread where we show off our creations Tongue

I just bought the seeds for my windowsill herb garden. Doing chives, thyme, and oregano.

My murderous mint patch has already resumed its plans for world domination.

My strawberries have crawled all over my garden box. I'm going to plant my tomatoes with them with the hopes that the strawberries will finish fruiting by the time the tomatoes start to take over.

Hopefully my concord grapevine will produce some results this year.

Good luck to everyone! May we all have a good season Smile

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
03-03-2017, 07:14 PM
Great idea to show off our gardens! I am really eager to start planting but will sit on my hands until the end of the month Smile

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
03-03-2017, 07:19 PM
(03-03-2017 01:07 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 12:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  That'll work. Smile

It won't be the first time I've grow that sort of thing in planters. Mom is going to donate the 27" planters to the cause, and I'm planning to use some welded wire fencing as a cage in each of the pots. I'll just make a circle the size of the inside diameter of the pot and bury it about foot deep. That will give us a pretty stable cage about 3' tall around the plants. I've had better luck doing it this way in the past than trying to use one of those cheap ass tomato cages they sell at the big box stores.

Those round things are trash. But there are some square ones available now that work very well - they need more space though. I've been using these for my indeterminate heirloom tomatoes.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-03-2017, 07:33 PM
I am envious of those of you with gardening skills. I can keep kids and critters alive but am deadly to most plants. Sadcryface

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
04-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Have you considered using a pyramid of old tires? Won't rot, won't rust, etc.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user