Patriot Day, September 11th

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2017, 08:18 AM
RE: Patriot Day, September 11th
I was in (university) class that day, and the professor's daughter (an American) was travelling by air around that time frame.
I'll never forget the look of horror on my professor's face when she heard the news (she eventually learned that her daughter was stranded, but fine).

Also, one student in that class had recently emigrated from Bosnia. When she heard the news, the FIRST thing she remarked, rather cynically I thought, was how close our classroom was to the (Canadian) National Defence Headquarters. At the time I thought it strange, but I was naive: now that kind of cynicism seems all too frequent.

I remember taking the quietest packed-bus trip home: the tension was palpable.

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
11-09-2017, 09:22 AM
(11-09-2017 07:55 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 06:55 AM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  They can't fathom the 9/11 attacks, because these Freshmen were two years old when it happened and I was in high school;

What worries me more is they can't fathom a world before the Patriot Act and all the ensuing Orwellian legislations around the world. They can't fathom a really free world.

If I had a say, I would call it Orwell day. The day when doublespeak became the new norm.

Agreed. Last semester a few of us held a discussion with our classes about electronic surveillance. Almost none of the students thought anything of it.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
11-09-2017, 09:34 AM
I've already seen countless "never forget" posts all over fb.

Maybe another 10 years and that shit will begin to quiet down.

I'd ask if they remember the date the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor?

But Google.

The point is there are lots of dates that we were never to forget...

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-09-2017, 09:57 AM
There are lots of dates people agree we should never forget, when we're told to.
11-09-2017, 10:15 AM
(11-09-2017 09:34 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've already seen countless "never forget" posts all over fb.

But Google.

My SO's birthday is only a couple days different from December 7th.

I thank the Japanese and happy coincidence for making my life easier.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
11-09-2017, 10:15 AM
I was only 6 at the time but I still distinctly remember being pulled from elementary and watching what I thought was an action movie unfold on TV. But it wasn't a movie because of my parents' faces--I'd never seen them so quiet and grim. The fear in our house alone was palpable. So many people...REAL people were screaming and crying...

If I recall right, a good portion of the military members of my family, including my dad, a Coast Guard heli pilot, were called in.

How things've changed since...

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 4 users Like Loom's post
11-09-2017, 01:00 PM
(11-09-2017 10:15 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-09-2017 09:34 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I've already seen countless "never forget" posts all over fb.

But Google.

My SO's birthday is only a couple days different from December 7th.

I thank the Japanese and happy coincidence for making my life easier.

Big Grin

Kennedy was shot on my dad's 20th birthday. So, yeah that's a date I can rattle off too

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

11-09-2017, 01:40 PM
(10-09-2017 10:07 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We didn't lose "3000 patriotic Americans" on that day. Nobody died for anyone else's freedom that day.

People died because they showed up at work.

If you were able to time travel back to September 10th, 2001 and show those people convincing evidence that they'd die the next day at work - it's likely that only a few people would show - the suicidal, and the hijackers.

344 were firefighters, 60 were cops, 8 were EMTS, and almost 5,000 first responders now have cancer or already died from it. I guess we could it Hero Day if you like that better. Tongue

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-09-2017, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2017 02:20 PM by outtathereligioncloset.)

But Google.

Without looking it up, I can say with conviction, December 7th. Admittedly I'd have to look up the year. And I wasn't born until 1959. On the other hand I cannot tell you the date Kennedy was shot or Challenger blew up but cannot forget where I was and who I was with when hearing about Challenger. Or the fact that Kennedy's assassination was the first time I ever saw my father cry.

To my utter disgust at 9:15 this morning I received a perky, happy bright email from Curves that they were celebrating their birthday today. I did not even try to resist my urge to email them back to tear them a new one about how incredibly tacky their email timing was. Maybe I should have applauded them for carrying on as if nothing happened? Like, if they acknowledge it, the terrorists win? But all I felt was disgust with them (Curves). Yes, I know people and places have birthdays and anniversaries today. But the timing of their perky happy email trying to sell me on Curves just didn't seem appropriate to me.

And I would also add, that the aftermath of 9-11 is probably the only day in my life that I can say I am grateful for "censorship." As in, the across the board media decision to STOP showing people jumping from the tower windows. If only they'd decided that sooner I wouldn't have that image branded into my eyes forever.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
11-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Some redneck a friend married posted to never forget the lives lost at the World Trade Center...in Baltimore. Bonus points? He lives a county away from where Flight 93 went down.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user