Patterns Arising from Christian Arguments.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2013, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2013 05:40 PM by Chas.)
Patterns Arising from Christian Arguments.
After arguing with christians for some time I've noticed a lot of common themes.

The most common I've seen is the way they try to undermine the way we collectively come to know things. Often they'll attack the way science changes, or how it establishes knowledge.

If that doesn't work they'll often switch it to a personal level. They will spend a lot of time trying to show what you know is not valid, merely an interpretation of data, or try to show that it's a cold dead meaningless world.

After they establish some error in the way we know the world. They try to push that to a state of mind where a person is confused about the way the world is. In this confusion they will attempt to force a person to switch the method in which they accept truth. From a non-emotional evaluation of the facts, to a very emotional acceptance of beliefs.

Which is strange because christians love personal experience even though they are not aware of the way biases, and fallacies influence their thoughts.

Noticing that this approach was failing they've come up with their own troll science. To substitute real science with their own. So that they can also appeal to those people who are moderately intelligent and need some confirmation of god's existence. (note: this doesn't always work because many of the different pseudoscience claims disagree with one another)

In short it seems to boil down to, subvert the intellect, appeal to their emotions, and then preach.

Anyways with all this exposed it should make arguing with the christians easier to spot what it is they are really doing. The majority of all their arguments will probably be this with a lot of intellectual garbage lumped on top.

If you guys have noticed any argumentative patterns I've missed go ahead and post them and feel free to review my observations.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post
03-04-2013, 12:36 AM
RE: Patterns Arising from Christian Arguments.
Religion exists only on an emotional level, Science exists only on the rational. They cannot accept this fact, thus they will avoid it like a plague infested rat.
[+] 2 users Like DerekS's post
03-04-2013, 02:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 02:24 AM by amyb.)
Yeah, it still blows my mind when Christians basically make the argument: "I will be sad if God doesn't exist; therefore God exists."

Even if that would make it a cold and dead world, feelings about things don't change facts. And maybe it's because I'm not an emotional person at all, but I just can't fathom how people can think this way.

And when they say, " but I can feel Jesus in my heart!" WTF is that supposed to me? They get a rush of serotonin and dopamine when they pray, or something, and they somehow think this proves the existence of god. No, it proves their neurotransmitters are doing stuff and that they get warm fuzzy feelings when thinking about jesus. I get warm fuzzy feelings if I imagine millions of dollars in my bank account, but that doesn't mean the money is really there.

I think it all comes down to religion being opposed to science, logic, reality. Many theists are proud that they are able to believe something in spite of lack of evidence, that's what faith is all about. And if you believe really hard, then your faith is "strong." On the other hand, it seems to me that believing without evidence or contrary to evidence is foolishness, and I would be ashamed of doing so, if indeed I ever did have any faith.[/rambling]

But as for patterns, in my experience, people seem to just do whatever comes to mind. It's usually some combination of all that, though. I facepalm especially hard when they try to prove xianity by quoting the bible to an atheist, though. It also amazes me when they say our thinking it faulty, yet they automatically assume their thinking is quite all right.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
03-04-2013, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 06:48 PM by Doctor X.)

Those who administer and moderate in order to exercise personal agenda merely feed into the negative stereotype of Atheism
[+] 2 users Like Doctor X's post
03-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Indeed.

They have a book therefore the rest they can ignore ... how convenient ! how lucky !

Want something? Then do something.
03-04-2013, 06:50 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 06:56 AM by TheLogicalAthiest.)
Some patterns I notice in many debates I have with Christians:

1. If something in the Bible is harmful to their religion, they claim these things are metaphors or have another meaning.

2. It seems most have never read the Bible fully.

3. They don't research the evidence they are given for their religion. E.g. They think the Shroud of Turin is actually from Jesus whereas a quick Google search can debunk it.

4. They change the subject when you are making them feel uncomfortable with the truth so that they don't have to think about being wrong.

5. Some just use the arguments of other brain-dead morons because they are highly ignorant. For example, Evolution is a lie by science to rid the world of God.

6. Some don't even know the basics, such as they will not understand that you don't need God for morality, or that the burden of proof lies on the person making incredible claims, or that religion can do a lot of harm in the world, or that the Bible is contradictory.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
[+] 2 users Like TheLogicalAthiest's post
03-04-2013, 06:56 AM
(03-04-2013 05:18 AM)Doctor X Wrote:  1. My opinions are correct.

2. You are damned for disagreeing with them.

3. I have a book which says both of the above.

4. IF you disagree, you simply have not read it/read it properly/studied the subject/are too busy felating Madeline Albright.

4. I will pray for you [Equivalent to "I am raping your mom."--Ed.]

Most arguments of belief eventually devolve to that structure.

--J.D.

Mind if I use for another post? Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
03-04-2013, 06:57 AM
(03-04-2013 06:50 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Some patterns I notice in many debates I have with Christians:

1. If something in the Bible is harmful to their religion, they claim these things are metaphors or have another meaning.

2. It seems most have never read the Bible fully.

3. They don't research the evidence they are given for their religion. E.g. They think the Shroud of Turin is actually from Jesus whereas a quick Google search can debunk it.

4. They change the subject when you are making them feel uncomfortable with the truth so that they don't have to think about being wrong.

5. Some just use the arguments of other brain-dead morons because they are highly ignorant. For example, Evolution is a lie by science to rid the world of God.

6. Some don't even know the basics, such as they will not understand that you don't need God for morality, or that the burden of proof lies on the person making incredible claims, or that religion can do a lot of harm in the world, or that the Bible is contradictory.

You, too? Heck, several dabblings in this thread. Y'all are cool with that?

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
03-04-2013, 08:25 AM
You can't forget the tactic of, . . . . . using words like "ignorant", "childish", "dolt", etc. to make it look like the atheist is some kid "that is needing to be schooled by the [theist] adult". But, of course, they never give any actual proof for thier side, . . . . just an "I'm right because the bible says so" type of mindset.
03-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Don't forget, "Any perceived gap, flaw, or shortcoming in your particular view automatically makes mine correct, irregardless of any other alternatives." This goes well with strawmanning.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post