Paul Ryan is a Scum bag

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 05:40 PM
RE: Paul Ryan is a Scum bag
(30-08-2012 05:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 05:25 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I disagree that disagreeing with abortion makes you a scumbag. I think that perhaps people should stop being so offended by an opposing position.

Then you are not disagreeing with anything I've said.Consider

Well alright then.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2012, 12:24 AM
(30-08-2012 11:37 AM)germanyt Wrote:  
(20-08-2012 06:58 AM)Chas Wrote:  So is the fetus an unborn child from:
  • the moment of conception?
  • the moment the fertilized egg attaches to the uterine wall?
  • the moment the fetus surpasses X number of cells?
  • the moment that the fetus has a heartbeat?
  • the moment that the fetus is discernibly human?
  • the moment that the fetus becomes viable outside the womb?

Or "other", please specify.

That's really a question for Paul Ryan. If he feels that a child is a child at conception then I still wouldn't call him a scum bag. Irrational maybe but not a scum bag. Since there is no right answer there is no wrong answer. It's just how a person feels.

I argued upthread that the question of when life begins is a question that should be answered by those in favor of abortion rights just as much as it is answered by those opposed. I agree with you that Ryan is not a scumbag just because he holds an irrational belief that a single fertilized cell has the same standing as a fully developed human. I happen to think viability is as clear of a line as we can have for the cutoff for when we have to consider there is another life involved.

Some on the left essentially use the first breadth rule--abort away until you hear it scream. That is an extreme point of view, but it is out there. And there is some evidence Obama holds this view since he has been in favor of abortion rights for late term under all circumstances. Why not use a rule that you can destroy the fetus until the umbilical cord is cut? That's pretty much the standard used by those who support abortion rights under any circumstances.

The only problem I see with using viability as a legal standard is that viability, if application of modern medicine is allowed when considering the question, could be a moving target.
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp