Paul, epilepsy and hallucinations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Paul, epilepsy and hallucinations
I've sort of known about this for a while but I thought I'd post this. There's a link between epilepsy and religious hallucinations.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/was-st-pauls-ro...nt-1562925

Seven hours after suffering from a seizure of temporal origin, the 46-year-old patient underwent a messianic revelation experience. While the man had not been particularly religious before this incident, he suddenly told doctors he felt as if God was approaching him and started chanting prayers with great intensity, The Times newspaper reports.

The patient then tried to convince the hospital's medical staff to become his followers, stating he had had a "conversation with God and He had sent him to them".

Here is the recent abstract. Admittedly, I haven't read it. It looks like it costs 36 bucks.

http://www.epilepsybehavior.com/article/...1/abstract

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-01-2017, 01:58 PM
RE: Paul, epilepsy and hallucinations
Paul's own account has him falling off his horse and then seeing things. Yeah, there's a lot of odd things about Paul that would cause you to question about the legitimacy of his road to Damascus experience.

Then there's this:

Marsh chapel experiment

It's likely that hallucinogens helped contribute to many religious visions/experiences.

All you have to do is read Revelations, that dude was trippin'!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
12-01-2017, 02:09 PM
I did a quick search through JSTOR for that article via the Houston Public Library online. It's not there. Oh well.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
12-01-2017, 03:24 PM
I have Epilepsy and nothing like that has ever happened to me during or after a seizure.
I've had some doozies too. In fact I can't even remember my own name (also Paul btw) immediately after coming out of a bad one.
I think his predisposition to wanting to see religious shit, is what made him think he did see it.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
12-01-2017, 03:33 PM
(12-01-2017 03:24 PM)pablo Wrote:  I have Epilepsy and nothing like that has ever happened to me during or after a seizure.
I've had some doozies too. In fact I can't even remember my own name (also Paul btw) immediately after coming out of a bad one.
I think his predisposition to wanting to see religious shit, is what made him think he did see it.

When my mother in law was having auditory and visual hallucinations before we knew it was a brain tumor, she would talk about "people" in her hospital room or hearing kids playing in the hallways. She was in ICU at the time.

These were completely real things to her.

There are accounts of religious people having similar things about hearing the voice of god or jebus. The neuro guy kinda joked about it, saying it was common and we should be lucky she wasn't going there.

I think it was then we realized that she really didn't believe in a deity anymore and things began to make more sense.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-01-2017, 03:44 PM
(12-01-2017 03:24 PM)pablo Wrote:  I have Epilepsy and nothing like that has ever happened to me during or after a seizure.

If I'm understanding the article right, there are different areas of the brain that epilepsy strikes certain people and it's in these places that hallucinogenic type of epilepsy happens. At least that's how I'm reading it.

12-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Oliver Sachs
http://www.oliversacks.com/books-by-oliv...cinations/

An interesting read.

More about Hallucinations

Have you ever seen something that wasn’t really there? Heard someone call your name in an empty house? Sensed someone following you and turned around to find nothing?

Hallucinations don’t belong wholly to the insane. Much more commonly, they are linked to sensory deprivation, intoxication, illness or injury. People with migraines may see shimmering arcs of light or tiny, Lilliputian figures of animals and people. People with failing eyesight, paradoxically, may become immersed in a hallucinatory visual world. Hallucinations can be brought on by a simple fever or even the act of waking or falling asleep, when people have visions ranging from luminous blobs of color to beautifully detailed faces or terrifying ogres. Those who are bereaved may receive comforting “visits” from the departed. In some conditions, hallucinations can lead to religious epiphanies or even the feeling of leaving one’s own body.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
12-01-2017, 04:02 PM

I'm sorry you have epilepsy. Do you take medication for it and does it work very well?

12-01-2017, 04:17 PM
There's also the possibility of hallucinogenic mushrooms. This is from an early 4th century Christian mosaic.

[Image: ancient-romans-ate-mushrooms-aquileia-ba...24x672.jpg]

[Image: nature-forest-ground-dangerous.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
12-01-2017, 04:49 PM
(12-01-2017 04:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  There's also the possibility of hallucinogenic mushrooms. This is from an early 4th century Christian mosaic.

[Image: ancient-romans-ate-mushrooms-aquileia-ba...24x672.jpg]

[Image: nature-forest-ground-dangerous.jpg]

Maybe Mario is based on Paul.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post