Paul, epilepsy and hallucinations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 05:39 PM
RE: Paul, epilepsy and hallucinations
L. Ron Hubbard started his path to cult leader when he was administered laughing gas at a dentist's office.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excalibur_...Hubbard%29

Reported near-death experience

In April 1938, Hubbard reportedly underwent a dental procedure and reacted to the drug used in the procedure. According to his account, this triggered a revelatory near-death experience. Allegedly inspired by this experience, Hubbard composed a manuscript, which was never published, with working titles of The One Command or Excalibur.[2][3] The contents of Excalibur formed the basis for some of his later publications.[1]

Or...

Forrest J. Ackerman was Hubbard's literary agent in the late 1940s. By Ackerman's account, Hubbard claimed the near-death experience had occurred not in a dentist's office but on an "operating table" sometime "during the war". Finding himself outside of his body, he was drawn to a "great ornate gate". Ackerman recalled that "on the other side of this gate spread out like an intellectual smorgasbord as the SUM TOTAL OF HUMAN KNOWLEDGE!"[3]

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Certain types of epilepsy can cause hallucinations as part of the seizure, particularly some of the odder varieties of temporal lobe seizures.

There are a lot of other causes of hallucinations as CC already mentioned.

Retrofitting historical figures with modern diagnoses is a pet peeve of mine. Making an accurate diagnosis is tricky enough with the patient present and observable. Making that diagnosis on somebody hundreds or thousands of years in the past is nearly impossible unless you have exceptionally good data. Sadly, these tenuous hypotheses are almost inevitably picked up on by the "science" columnist of some newspaper and grossly sensationalized as "Scientists Say Joan of Ark Had Schizophrenia!!!"

In this case our first challenge would be to demonstrate that Saul of Tarsus even existed, muchless that anything ever written about him was accurate. It's all uphill from there. Given that our only source of information about his life is the Bible, we're probably out of luck unless we're scooped up by a passing police box.

Given the sheer volume of them, it's almost certain that some of the religious figures in history can be attributed to unusual forms of epilepsy. Others will be due to brain tumours, brain trauma, paranoid schizophrenia, and a whole host of other ailments from the physiological through the psychiatric and psychological to the sociological and mythological. Determining which was which while separated by the millennia is implausable at best.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
12-01-2017, 09:42 PM
(12-01-2017 03:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:24 PM)pablo Wrote:  I have Epilepsy and nothing like that has ever happened to me during or after a seizure.
I've had some doozies too. In fact I can't even remember my own name (also Paul btw) immediately after coming out of a bad one.
I think his predisposition to wanting to see religious shit, is what made him think he did see it.

If I'm understanding the article right, there are different areas of the brain that epilepsy strikes certain people and it's in these places that hallucinogenic type of epilepsy happens. At least that's how I'm reading it.

This reminded me, when I was younger (early teens) I would have mild seizures that I didn't even know were seizures at the time.
I would feel like I was in a sort of trance, and had very strong feelings of Deja' Vu.
I had forgotten all about this.
12-01-2017, 09:44 PM
(12-01-2017 04:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 03:24 PM)pablo Wrote:  I have Epilepsy and nothing like that has ever happened to me during or after a seizure.
I've had some doozies too. In fact I can't even remember my own name (also Paul btw) immediately after coming out of a bad one.
I think his predisposition to wanting to see religious shit, is what made him think he did see it.

I'm sorry you have epilepsy. Do you take medication for it and does it work very well?

Yes I take meds, they can be hit or miss sometimes. I'm really affected by sleep deprivation.