PayPal? More like Piss off Pal.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2013, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 04:01 PM by morlock.)
PayPal? More like Piss off Pal.
Just a rant while I wait for the bible study group in the corner of the coffee shop to calm down and lower the volume of Hosannas somewhat.

Twice in last week, I went to a website to order this or that, and got to the part of the shopping cart where you enter your credit card. Both time, I get the message, "This credit card cannot be used for this transaction." Strange. I have had that card for fifteen years and it always worked fine before.

It happened for the third time yesterday. At first I assumed that it was the VPN service I use was at fault, since sometimes websites react to it kind of weirdly. (Not having graduated from a Texas public school, I have retained enough intelligence to know not to use a CC over a public wireless without protection.) A call to my CC company didn't come up with anything wrong and they indicated that no query from the aforementioned sites had come in. The card has a high limit, no balance and has never had a late charge. In fact, it is only for casual use on the 'Net.

But, this last time, I noticed that the CC servicer was Paypal. Going back to the other two sites, I discovered the same thing.

Ah ha! A call to the Paypal help desk was an eye opener. I had always thought that the help desk of Hughsnet was as abysmally low as one can get, but PP is giving them a run. (Actually, for HN, abysmally low is being generous. More like, staffed with asymptotically asinine, imbecilic, boneheaded non-English speaking cretins.)

Anyway, back to Paypal. The woman couldn't tell me why it was rejected, but suggested that I just apply for another card and try it.

After a moment of disbelief, and realizing that she was serious, I managed to express my opinion without becoming too uncivilized and hung up.

I wonder how many companies using PP don't realize just how much business they are losing because of some wacko procedure check at Paypal?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2013, 10:47 AM
RE: PayPal? More like Piss off Pal.
What kind of card do you have exactly? When it comes to credit cards, all major credit cards from Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Diners are accepted... there are more restrictions on debit cards though.

I assume paypal is still the same as when I last used it.

[Image: opforum1.png]
02-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Yea and PayPal will let you transfer money directly from any account. I have a couple of different ways to pay online for crap right within PayPal alone.

As for "just apply for another card and try it" - is it possible she meant to just use another card? Or you could just get a PayPal account and register that card there - it would always be available and secure. Just some suggestions. I'm pretty ambivalent about PayPal or any kind of online banking or transactions. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
02-07-2013, 12:16 PM
Paypal sucks big time and I have found a way around using it.

I fell into disgrace with them when I paid someone who had done some online graphics work for me.

They wanted to know what I paid him for. I thought it was none of their damn business, but told them anyway, wanting to get it over with.

They closed my account. WTF? I assume that person was in some sort of trouble with them. I wasn't. I could have just opened an account with a different email address, but I figured they were assholes and I didn't want to give them anymore of my biz.

So I went to my bank and opened a second checking account including a debit card. I can move funds from my normal checking into this one in seconds online.

When I want to pay someone online, or buy something, I move the money into the second account and use it. Should anyone get a hold of it and try to rob it, good luck, there is never anything in there except for a few minutes at a time.

Problem solved.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-07-2013, 12:31 PM
Yea, I do the bank account transfer kind of thing also. It is more private and I control more exclusively.

Weird, I've never had any problem with PayPal... or Western Union but then, I haven't used them all that much maybe, 20 or so transactions in total. Never for anything of consequence either, mostly person to person and all under $500.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
02-07-2013, 04:04 PM
(02-07-2013 10:47 AM)frankiej Wrote:  What kind of card do you have exactly? When it comes to credit cards, all major credit cards from Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Diners are accepted... there are more restrictions on debit cards though.

Plain ordinary bank issued Visa. However, googling on the message that I got ("This credit card cannot be used for this transaction") is when I realized that PP has the problem, not the user or card issuer. Pages of hits of people wondering why a perfectly good card everywhere else is being denied by PP.
02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
(02-07-2013 11:58 AM)kim Wrote:  As for "just apply for another card and try it" - is it possible she meant to just use another card? Or you could just get a PayPal account and register that card there - it would always be available and secure. Just some suggestions.

Maybe. But that wasn't the way I interpreted it. Besides, I only got one and don't want another card. This one has a very high limit that I don't need for minor purchases.

But, besides that, PayPal isn't a bank and doesn't have to follow banking rules. If they just take your money and run, there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. And it happens if their "fraud detector" triggers on an account. I'm sure that it legitimately stops a lot of bad transactions, but if it gets a false positive, then the average Joe is fucked. Months later, after their "investigation" you might get your money back, sans interest and fees. Then again, you might not.

No problem. Just don't use them. Except, some websites have PP as the only way to pay. That's a problem if it is a site you have to use. Like Ebay. Buy something and then be told that you are not allowed to pay for it, but that also you are in trouble if you don't pay immediately.

Kind of like letting your cousin pay your bills while you are overseas or something. If he spends the money on beer, the legal system isn't going to help.
[+] 1 user Likes morlock's post