Paying the bills, a rant!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Paying the bills, a rant!
There ought to be a law:
  • Everyone should get paid on the 1st of the month. None of this crap where one check comes in on the 1st, another on the 3rd Wednesday of the month, and another on the 20th.
  • If the first falls on a weekend you should get paid the previous Friday. None of this not getting paid until Monday when the 1st falls on Saturday.
  • All bills should be due on the 10th. A due date on the 3rd is ridiculous. As is, due dates are spread out across the month. I have one bill that is due the 15th and I don't get it until around the 10th. I have to wait to get the bill because it is variable and they will not accept a check for anything other than the amount due. An overage or shortage of even one cent gets sent back.
  • Any bill that varies seasonally must have budget payment programs. The amount should be a running average of the last twelve months, no annual "catch up" payment.
  • If the 10th falls on a weekend the bill is due the following Monday.
  • All bills should include self addressed return envelopes. No window envelopes that you have to be certain the correct address is visible through the window. And they should be postage paid. 60 years ago that was the norm but today they want you to buy the stamps. Cheapskates.
  • All bills should be of uniform size, namely 8 1/2 x 14 inches. The bottom 3 inches (not the top) should be the tear-off part that you send back with the bill, leaving a nice 8 1/2 x 11 that is easy to file. 4 1/2 x 8 inch bills are ridiculous.
  • The perf should match the fold exactly. It never does. Come on, if we can land men on the moon then surely this is not that great a problem for modern technology.
  • For people paid weekly or biweekly payday should be Friday. Due dates should fall on the second Monday following payday. Workers should be able to tell payees which plan they want.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
29-10-2015, 12:32 PM
RE: Paying the bills, a rant!
(29-10-2015 12:21 PM)f stop Wrote:  
  • All bills should include self addressed return envelopes. No window envelopes that you have to be certain the correct address is visible through the window. And they should be postage paid. 60 years ago that was the norm but today they want you to buy the stamps. Cheapskates.

Almost every bill I get has a "pay online" option. I'm pretty sure that is becoming the norm. I still pay most of them the old-fashioned way, by stuffing a check in an envelope, but I'm a dinosaur. In a few years, stamps will be dinosaurs as well.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
29-10-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm pretty sure online is the way to go. I can pay my credit card bill in like 30 seconds it's very convenient. I think my parents do a lot online.

A man should not believe in an ism, he should believe in himself. -Ferris Bueller

That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs but what a ship is... what the Black Pearl really is... is freedom. -Jack Sparrow
[+] 1 user Likes Imathinker's post
29-10-2015, 12:44 PM
I have bills due all month long at varying times. It's the biggest pain in the ass ever.

It never fails the first of the months bills are the heavier bills (electric, mortgage, car payment and something else. Oh the gardeners.

Mid month are the smaller stuff like phones, cable crap like that. I'm constantly playing the game. Based on when hubby gets paid

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-10-2015, 12:44 PM
(29-10-2015 12:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

Almost every bill I get has a "pay online" option. I'm pretty sure that is becoming the norm. I still pay most of them the old-fashioned way, by stuffing a check in an envelope, but I'm a dinosaur. In a few years, stamps will be dinosaurs as well.

I haven't paid a bill with a check or anything like that in years. Hell, even my mortgage is handled electronically.

F Stop, most places will work with you to get your due dates changed so that it works best for your finances. I've changed mine a few times because of odd pay schedules.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
29-10-2015, 12:46 PM
I pay online via credit card and rack up free plane flights. I also always keep enough money on hand so that I could pay bills at any time in the month (i.e. My amount of bills/mortgage/expenses/habits is very purposefully much less than my income). Everyone who knows me says I'm the most frugal person they have ever met though, so I might not do things that mesh with your lifestyle.

Edit: That being said all my bills (grace period included) can be handled around the 15th and around the 30th. I take care of all ouststanding Bills at once at those times +/- a few days.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
29-10-2015, 01:15 PM
(29-10-2015 12:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

I paid bills online for years, but I had problems. Chief of these was a feeling of not being in control. I had a nagging uncertainty of whether payments had gone through. I also had problems with "double clicking" and the payment got made twice, meaning my register did not agree with the bank's, more than once leading to a bounced check. The bank's attitude was that it was my fault.

Then my provider dropped his landline option. I began to worry about identity theft and all that data going out. I decided to go back to the old fashioned way.

Sapere aude
29-10-2015, 01:18 PM
(29-10-2015 12:44 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 12:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Almost every bill I get has a "pay online" option. I'm pretty sure that is becoming the norm. I still pay most of them the old-fashioned way, by stuffing a check in an envelope, but I'm a dinosaur. In a few years, stamps will be dinosaurs as well.

I haven't paid a bill with a check or anything like that in years. Hell, even my mortgage is handled electronically.

F Stop, most places will work with you to get your due dates changed so that it works best for your finances. I've changed mine a few times because of odd pay schedules.

Some will some won't. Some make you jump through a duck ton of hoops to do it. I can't have bills auto payed because the place hubby works for pays him every two weeks.

So...having money taken out to pay the mortgage on the first of month won't work for us, if he's not paid until 12th.

I constantly had to fiddle with the dates.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
29-10-2015, 01:21 PM
(29-10-2015 01:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 12:44 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I haven't paid a bill with a check or anything like that in years. Hell, even my mortgage is handled electronically.

Some will some won't. Some make you jump through a duck ton of hoops to do it. I can't have bills auto payed because the place hubby works for pays him every two weeks.

So...having money taken out to pay the mortgage on the first of month won't work for us, if he's not paid until 12th.

I constantly had to fiddle with the dates.

Yeah, I get that it's not always a great option. I once had a job where I got paid every 15 days. Not every 2 weeks or anything regular... pay periods were 15 days. So my checks always came in on different days of the month. It made setting up automatic payments nearly impossible.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
29-10-2015, 01:31 PM
(29-10-2015 12:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I still pay most of them the old-fashioned way, by stuffing a check in an envelope, but I'm a dinosaur. In a few years, stamps will be dinosaurs as well.
That will never happen. Between 30 and 40% of U.S. households do not have internet. (Depending on where you get your information.) I know people who do not have a telephone, not even a land line. I know one person who claims no bank will let him open an account and who pays all his bills with USPS money orders or with cash. I have no idea why the banks will not give him an account.

I know another person who refuses to open a bank account. The reason is that he simply lacks the skills to manage the account, resulting in lots of bounced checks. He simply gave up and opted out. He pays cash and keeps receipts.

Sapere aude