Paying the bills, a rant!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2015, 01:42 PM
RE: Paying the bills, a rant!
(29-10-2015 01:31 PM)f stop Wrote:  
(29-10-2015 12:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I still pay most of them the old-fashioned way, by stuffing a check in an envelope, but I'm a dinosaur. In a few years, stamps will be dinosaurs as well.
That will never happen. Between 30 and 40% of U.S. households do not have internet. (Depending on where you get your information.) I know people who do not have a telephone, not even a land line. I know one person who claims no bank will let him open an account and who pays all his bills with USPS money orders or with cash. I have no idea why the banks will not give him an account.

I know another person who refuses to open a bank account. The reason is that he simply lacks the skills to manage the account, resulting in lots of bounced checks. He simply gave up and opted out. He pays cash and keeps receipts.

My aunt for ever went to the local drug store to pay her utilities. She would always get money orders for the biills she couldn't pay.

I used to ask her why she was wasting her time, but I think for her it was habit. Now SS requires direct deposit -- my goodness she would be pisseed at that. Smile

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2015, 01:46 PM
(29-10-2015 12:32 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I still pay most of them the old-fashioned way, by stuffing a check in an envelope, but I'm a dinosaur. In a few years, stamps will be dinosaurs as well.
That will never happen. Between 30 and 40% of U.S. households do not have internet. (Depending on where you get your information.) I know people who do not have a telephone, not even a land line. I know one person who claims no bank will let him open an account and who pays all his bills with USPS money orders or with cash. I have no idea why the banks will not give him an account.

I know another person who refuses to open a bank account. The reason is that he simply lacks the skills to manage the account, resulting in lots of bounced checks. He simply gave up and opted out. He pays cash and keeps receipts.

Wal-Mart and a few other places now have prepaid debit cards for people like that. A buddy of mine kept overdrafting his account, so he went to the prepaid account. He puts enough money into it to pay his bills, and uses cash for anything else. It's impossible to overdraft, and there's less worry about people stealing from you, because you can only have money in the account when you need to pay the bills.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
29-10-2015, 02:01 PM

That's all true now, but it's a dying way of life. There will come a day (not in my lifetime, maybe, but it will come eventually) when stamps and checks and the US Post Office (except for package delivery) are all obsolete. Everything will be done electronically, and those who resist will be living on the fringes.

I suppose it could also go the other way, where civilization collapses for some reason, and we go back to a non-technological way of life. But in that event, paying bills will be the least of our worries.
29-10-2015, 02:24 PM
(29-10-2015 01:18 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So...having money taken out to pay the mortgage on the first of month won't work for us, if he's not paid until 12th.

I constantly had to fiddle with the dates.
Been there done that.

For 21 years I had a job where I was paid biweekly. To "fiddle with the date" I made up a spreadsheet. This was back in the days before spreadsheets were on computers. I bought "columnar paper" from an office supply store. Thirteen columns across was enough for six months. Thirteen paydays written across at the top of the columns. Bills written down the left. Then write six monthly payments across with each payment on a payday that meets the due date. The sum of each column hopefully would be less than that column's paycheck. Of course invariably one or more columns would add to more than was available that pay period and I'd have to decide what to pay early.

Somewhere I should point out that my OP was intended to be humorous, particularly the part about making the perf and the fold match. It does not seem to have been taken that way. Maybe if the late George Carlin did it on stage it would be.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
29-10-2015, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I wish all of life's inconveniences could be legislated away, but we would invent new ones out of sheer boredom.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
29-10-2015, 02:53 PM
(29-10-2015 02:24 PM)f stop Wrote:  Somewhere I should point out that my OP was intended to be humorous, particularly the part about making the perf and the fold match. It does not seem to have been taken that way. Maybe if the late George Carlin did it on stage it would be.

I often miss humor and take things too literally, especially in the absence of vocal inflections and body language -- but I did sort of get the humor in this case. I just chose to reply to the one item where I thought I had practical advice to offer.

If earmuffs had done it, the humor would have been unmissable. And there would have been more profanity in the post.

Tongue
30-10-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm currently paid every two weeks myself, If only your ideas would be implemented f stop it would make my life so much easier, even though I do everything online I still have to juggle when I pay my crap because i'm never paid on the same days.

“We can judge our progress by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers, our willingness to embrace what is true rather than what feels good.”
― Carl Sagan