Peace, love, FSM

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Peace, love, FSM
Greetings, friends. Quiet but uncompromising antitheist here. I fall firmly into the camp of those who see faith as a scourge and a vice. In any sensible society, it would be considered a grievous insult to say that someone had great faith. I would never censor anyone, but I'd sure love to live in a world that had grown up so much that all preachers had been reduced to raving on street corners while everybody else just smirked and strolled by.

I was raised in Mormonism but broke free of the entire god delusion by the time I was 21, thanks to some combination of Darwinism, an instinct for Occam's razor, and a mother who, though herself a devout Mormon, always defended my right to be my own person. I'd become convinced that all religions were man-made by my mid-teens, but it took Darwinism to persuade me that something other than a conscious designer can account for the complexity of life. If I'd died before 1859, I suspect I would have spent my life holding the consensus Enlightenment view: that although all religions are clearly bogus, the complexity of life clearly attests to some kind of deity.

I'm a geek, a hiker, a stoner, a stargazer, a mostly contented loner. Sometimes I smoke weed and listen to The Thinking Atheist on my MP3 player while wandering the nearby mountains. You should have seen me last night when I had the munchies, had nothing but an apple in my backpack, and was listening to Seth describe the offerings of Naturebox in that awesome voice of his. I was fucking beside myself, I tell you.

I take my screen name from the man who composed the oldest complete musical composition of which there's a record. It's known simply as the Song of Seikilos. Here are the lyrics:

While you live, shine!
Let nothing trouble you beyond measure.
Life lasts only a short while.
Time demands its toll.

There's something almost providential about that, don't you think?

Nice to be here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 09:33 PM
RE: Peace, love, FSM
Welcome welcome!! Glad to meet you, hope you feel comfortable jumping right in Big Grin Smokin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
22-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
22-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Hello, welcome. Thumbsup
22-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Welcome to TTA