Peaceful easy feeling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Peaceful easy feeling
I have heard it said that when a person surrenders their life to Christ, a sort of peaceful feeling comes over them knowing that the Lord is in control. I never experienced that. In fact, I felt this feeling when I gave up Christ and became an atheist. I know that I am in control of my own life and i'm okay with that. I don't have to stress about proving my worth to some invisible sky demon. Did anyone else experience this when they became atheists?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2016, 11:03 AM
RE: Peaceful easy feeling
I get a peaceful, easy, feeling drinking a Tequila Sunrise outside the Sad Cafe. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
12-05-2016, 11:19 AM
(12-05-2016 11:03 AM)pablo Wrote:  I get a peaceful, easy, feeling drinking a Tequila Sunrise outside the Sad Cafe. Big Grin

While wearing those shoes...

You're inside my head.

I can't tell you why. Tongue
Maybe you're already gone...
Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-05-2016, 11:40 AM

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-05-2016, 11:54 AM
(12-05-2016 10:57 AM)smitthom624 Wrote:  I have heard it said that when a person surrenders their life to Christ, a sort of peaceful feeling comes over them knowing that the Lord is in control. I never experienced that. In fact, I felt this feeling when I gave up Christ and became an atheist. I know that I am in control of my own life and i'm okay with that. I don't have to stress about proving my worth to some invisible sky demon. Did anyone else experience this when they became atheists?

The feeling is caused by the release of beta endorphins and oxytocin (in the brain). Can be caused by pretty anything, I suppose. I get mine by running and that stuff, and once in a while by some Grey Goose. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Alcoholics refer to it as "a moment of clarity".
12-05-2016, 01:11 PM
(12-05-2016 10:57 AM)smitthom624 Wrote:  I have heard it said that when a person surrenders their life to Christ, a sort of peaceful feeling comes over them knowing that the Lord is in control. I never experienced that. In fact, I felt this feeling when I gave up Christ and became an atheist. I know that I am in control of my own life and i'm okay with that. I don't have to stress about proving my worth to some invisible sky demon. Did anyone else experience this when they became atheists?

That is exactly how it happened for me too. I never felt that peace that everyone claimed to feel. I felt it too, like you, when I became an atheist. I think that feeling they all claim to feel, if they really feel it, is the relief of not being responsible for thinking for themselves any more. They can just "let go and let God". I think some people are just naturally more inclined to thinking for themselves and the relief comes from ending the cognitive dissonance of trying to be a Christian when deep down you know it ain't true.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
12-05-2016, 02:33 PM

[Image: fc550x550brown.u1.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-05-2016, 02:36 PM
I get it mostly in my massage chair and in my garden, but I can also get it in an old cathedral (when there is no service).

You can get it from many things, sights, sounds, scents, activities... and cannabis, too. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-05-2016, 03:33 PM
(12-05-2016 02:36 PM)Dom Wrote:  I get it mostly in my massage chair and in my garden, but I can also get it in an old cathedral (when there is no service).

You can get it from many things, sights, sounds, scents, activities... and cannabis, too. Tongue

For me it is bikepacking. I love that feeling of having everything I need to survive and have fun and I can go anywhere I want and set up camp when I want, cook a good meal and drink a little hot chocolate and whiskey. I used to get the same feeling from backpacking but now I'me too old to carry all that weight on my back.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post