Peer Review Protocol?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Peer Review Protocol?
Is there a protocol for scientists to submit papers before he/she makes a claim?

What if this claim was not only made before anyone saw his/her papers, but this claim was made with the full endorsement in a press conference with a head of human health services?

Is this proper protocol? YES or NO

Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2013, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2013 09:04 AM by sporehux.)
RE: Peer Review Protocol?
(15-11-2013 08:40 AM)I and I Wrote:  Is there a protocol for scientists to submit papers before he/she makes a claim?

What if this claim was not only made before anyone saw his/her papers, but this claim was made with the full endorsement in a press conference with a head of human health services?

Drinking Beverage

No, the head of human heath services if there is such a position would be a political one. and what does "full endorsement" mean ?
in your scenario a discovery institute "scientist" could grease the political wheels to get a press conference an claim evolution is no longer valid.

dozens of peer review explanations on YT.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
15-11-2013, 09:04 AM
(15-11-2013 08:59 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 08:40 AM)I and I Wrote:  Is there a protocol for scientists to submit papers before he/she makes a claim?

Drinking Beverage

No, the head of human heath services if there is such a position would be a political one. and what does "full endorsement" mean ?
in your scenario a discovery institute "scientist" could grease the political wheels to get a press conference an claim evolution is no longer valid.

Full endorsement meaning, in a press conference the head of human health services said that x person found this or invented that etc etc.

We agree that this would not be proper protocol.
15-11-2013, 09:16 AM
I am curious as to wether or not Bucky Ball agrees with us that the hypothetical mentioned above would not be proper peer review protocol.

Chas?

Rev?

Cljr?

You all agree with me and sporehux right?
15-11-2013, 09:23 AM
(15-11-2013 09:04 AM)I and I Wrote:  Full endorsement meaning, in a press conference the head of human health services said that x person found this or invented that etc etc.

We agree that this would not be proper protocol.

Yes we agree Smile , the " head of human health services" would be a laughing stock if they bypassed or ignored a bypass of the peer review process.

even if the claim of x person was true and correct, the sin could not be forgiven.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
15-11-2013, 09:50 AM
I think it depends on the influence of such a claim..

If its, "I think I have found a nice pair of shoes to wear" I doubt that would have the need for peer review before saying out loud

If its, "I think I have found the cure for cancer" I expect there would be incredible professional backlash if the claim turned out to be wrong, and really considered misleading people, unless it was peer reviewed.

Lets face it, media find stories of the latters ilk all the time from crackpots and charlatans who dont care if they are slapped down by a regulating board.

Peer review is a way of gaining competent, professional, scientific consensus on matters, its not illegal to make claims outside of peer review, but it is very risky for any professional to do this.
15-11-2013, 10:00 AM
(15-11-2013 09:50 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  I think it depends on the influence of such a claim..

If its, "I think I have found a nice pair of shoes to wear" I doubt that would have the need for peer review before saying out loud

If its, "I think I have found the cure for cancer" I expect there would be incredible professional backlash if the claim turned out to be wrong, and really considered misleading people, unless it was peer reviewed.

Lets face it, media find stories of the latters ilk all the time from crackpots and charlatans who dont care if they are slapped down by a regulating board.

Peer review is a way of gaining competent, professional, scientific consensus on matters, its not illegal to make claims outside of peer review, but it is very risky for any professional to do this.

Oooo. Very nice reply PT. You stated it very well. *high-five*
15-11-2013, 01:00 PM
(15-11-2013 09:50 AM)PursuingTruth Wrote:  I think it depends on the influence of such a claim..

Peer review is for science, not for fashion tips.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
15-11-2013, 02:04 PM
(15-11-2013 09:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  Cljr?

Cljr is not a registered user on the TTA forums. Perhaps you're thinking of someone else?

Anyone can submit anything they like to any journal's editorial board. Anyone can claim anything they like in a press release.

I am sure you are no doubt leading up to some asinine non-conclusion with this. Please get there faster.

... this is my signature!
15-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Peer Review Protocol?
(15-11-2013 02:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 09:16 AM)I and I Wrote:  Cljr?

Cljr is not a registered user on the TTA forums. Perhaps you're thinking of someone else?

Anyone can submit anything they like to any journal's editorial board. Anyone can claim anything they like in a press release.

I am sure you are no doubt leading up to some asinine non-conclusion with this. Please get there faster.

Do you believe that the hypothetical I gave in the op is proper protocol? Yes or no.
Thread Closed