Peer Review Protocol?
Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2013, 02:54 PM
RE: Peer Review Protocol?
(15-11-2013 02:50 PM)I and I Wrote:  Do you believe that the hypothetical I gave in the op is proper protocol? Yes or no.

The question is insufficient.

A claim being made and endorsed before being vetted through publication is not, in and of itself, indicative of anything. If review and publication is forthcoming or ongoing, it is premature, but could be for any number of reasons. A claim being made and endorsed with no intention of being properly reviewed or criticised is not valid.

If you're going somewhere with this, please go there faster.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
15-11-2013, 02:59 PM
Peer Review Protocol?
(15-11-2013 02:54 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 02:50 PM)I and I Wrote:  Do you believe that the hypothetical I gave in the op is proper protocol? Yes or no.

The question is insufficient.

A claim being made and endorsed before being vetted through publication is not, in and of itself, indicative of anything. If review and publication is forthcoming or ongoing, it is premature, but could be for any number of reasons. A claim being made and endorsed with no intention of being properly reviewed or criticised is not valid.

If you're going somewhere with this, please go there faster.

"Properly reviewed". That is what I am asking you. If a government official and a scientist hold a press conference announcing something and that hasn't been peer reviewed, is it proper peer review protocol. It's a simple yes or no.
15-11-2013, 03:04 PM
(15-11-2013 02:59 PM)I and I Wrote:  "Properly reviewed". That is what I am asking you. If a government official and a scientist hold a press conference announcing something and that hasn't been peer reviewed, is it proper peer review protocol. It's a simple yes or no.

Except for the part where it isn't.

Is it being peer reviewed? Will it be peer reviewed?
I literally just said this, but holding a press conference to announce results prior to final publication is, in fact, standard practice.

Including the necessary contingency on your "simple yes or no", we have:
if yes, yes; if no, no.

If you're going somewhere with this, please go there faster. You've clearly got a specific incident in mind. Share it with the class?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
15-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Peer Review Protocol?
(15-11-2013 03:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(15-11-2013 02:59 PM)I and I Wrote:  "Properly reviewed". That is what I am asking you. If a government official and a scientist hold a press conference announcing something and that hasn't been peer reviewed, is it proper peer review protocol. It's a simple yes or no.

Except for the part where it isn't.

Is it being peer reviewed? Will it be peer reviewed?
I literally just said this, but holding a press conference to announce results prior to final publication is, in fact, standard practice.

Including the necessary contingency on your "simple yes or no", we have:
if yes, yes; if no, no.

If you're going somewhere with this, please go there faster. You've clearly got a specific incident in mind. Share it with the class?

So the fact that it is endorsed by a government official before being peer reviewed, wouldn't cause any questioning as to why it is being endorsed before being peer reviewed? Wouldn't you wonder why a government official would do that? Wouldn't you suspect something fishy going on?
15-11-2013, 03:13 PM

"If something hasn't been peer reviewed , is it proper peer review protocol"

Hobo

Is it possible that you are this insane?

Do you have problems putting your thought into words?
Are you even aware of what you are saying?

If something isn't chocolate, is it proper chocolate? It's a simple yes or no?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
15-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Peer Review Protocol?
(15-11-2013 03:13 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  

"If something hasn't been peer reviewed , is it proper peer review protocol"

Hobo

Is it possible that you are this insane?

Do you have problems putting your thought into words?
Are you even aware of what you are saying?

If something isn't chocolate, is it proper chocolate? It's a simple yes or no?

Is the hypothetical I mentioned in the OP proper peer review protocol? That's either a yes or no.

Sporehux says no, do you agree with him?
15-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Your hypothetical is nonsensical because it does not describe a peer review process at all, so the question is it a "proper" peer review process doesn't make sense as a hypothetical or otherwise.

I don't know why is this confusing to you.

For something to be a "proper" peer review process it has to be a peer review process in the first case, before you can decide is it proper or not proper.

Sporehux gave you the answer based on the assumed context of your question , I'm not going to do that.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
15-11-2013, 03:41 PM
(15-11-2013 03:37 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Your hypothetical is nonsensical because it does not describe a peer review process at all, so the question is it a "proper" peer review process doesn't make sense as a hypothetical or otherwise.

I don't know why is this confusing to you.

For something to be a "proper" peer review process it has to be a peer review process in the first case, before you can decide is it proper or not proper.

Sporehux gave you the answer based on the assumed context of your question , I'm not going to do that.

So depending on the context the answer could be yes or no?
15-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Depending of context, missing information, circumstances .... the answer could be yes or no.

What you asked in Op is way to simplistic to be given an answer, like you asked "if a man uses a petri dish is he conducting a proper science experiment"

15-11-2013, 04:17 PM
(15-11-2013 04:03 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Depending of context, missing information, circumstances .... the answer could be yes or no.

What you asked in Op is way to simplistic to be given an answer, like you asked "if a man uses a petri dish is he conducting a proper science experiment"

Give me an example of when it would be a proper protocol to release a statement in a press conference along with the head of health services BEFORE any scientific peer review is done. In what situation would this be acceptable?
Thread Closed