Penn Jillette's 10 Atheist Suggestions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2012, 10:45 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 10:53 AM by Lilith Pride.)
RE: Penn Jillette's 10 Atheist Suggestions
What makes you so sure Sumeria was so unlawful? The hebrews did not arise from a cave. They came from another city. If you think the jewish community is so much better than the sumerian community let me know. I haven't looked at it much. But you're acting like they were sleeping in tents and hunting and gathering before this started. They were already living in a city with different rules in place.
Also what makes you think if they were hunter gatherers that it would be so harsh. There are plenty of hunter gatherer societies that live quite well. If you explore many cultures, read about the way of life in many times, you'll eventually come to learn that a lot of the feelings people have have always existed. Our biases change, but for the most part people always want the same things. All communities share the basic rules outside of anti-communities (lawless towns made by people who escaped lawful places). Read the stories of serfs in the middle ages and you can see a multitude of parallels to the middle class American. People are people. You might think that having a definitive time to be angry and action to punish makes things better, but how often did they punish people before this rule came about? Arbitrary rules often lead to more inter-societal aggression than the more lenient and unspoken codes that naturally exist in groups.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2012, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2012 09:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-03-2012 06:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's a solid list overall. I think I would add something about be open and respectful to progressing ideas or supportive of safe advancements for the worlds life.

These are Penn Jillette's interpretations as an atheist of the Ten Commandments. Read them side by side and one at a time to get the full effect. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
17-03-2012, 05:18 PM
(16-03-2012 09:34 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-03-2012 06:18 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It's a solid list overall. I think I would add something about be open and respectful to progressing ideas or supportive of safe advancements for the worlds life.

These are Penn Jillette's interpretations as an atheist of the Ten Commandments. Read them side by side and one at a time to get the full effect. Wink
I really like open ended thought provoking suggestions.
They beat the hell out of hard line absolutes.
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post