Penn State and Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2012, 06:55 AM
Penn State and Religion
I'm a Penn State grad, and as many of you who follow the news knows there is a major problem in Penn State land. What I find totally appalling is the total fanaticism that people have regarding the football program and Joe Paterno.

I was kicked out of a Penn State chat site a few days ago because I equated their continued support of Joe Paterno, despite evidence he helped cover up child rape, to the fanaticism of a religious cult.

It seems I was a bit prophetic.
CNN religion blog does equate Penn State and major college football to a religious cult.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/15...enn-state/

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FaceOfBoe's post
15-07-2012, 03:21 PM
RE: Penn State and Religion
Hey, Boe.

He's wrong.

It's not about a religious cult.

It's about cult of personality.

Both are about power relationships, but the cult of personality applies specifically to the case of Paterno.

As for the rest of it, he just described every single hierarchical organisation on the planet.

I've said it a million times. Dogs are not cat-like. They're both mammals. Penn State football is not religion-like. They're both hierarchical organisations.

BTW - It's 2012, how the fuck is sodomy still illegal??? God's bread, it makes me mad.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
15-07-2012, 03:39 PM
The mentality is cult like. Lots of adoring fans who love their leader, defending him against all charges.

It's also selfish in nature. They want what they want, no matter who else gets hurt in the process.
...."I don't care how many kids got raped. Give ME the good feelings I want when I go to the games. Give ME my coach that I love"

I have at times told a christian or two "Your god is real, but the reason he doesn't do anything anymore is because he was arrested and found guilty of genocide, hate crimes, inciting a man to kill his own son, a host of other offenses. He would have gotten away with most of it, but did you know he actually told someone all the stuff he did and they wrote it down. That was his mistake right there. His next parole hearing is in about a billion years. I'm going to testify to make sure he stays locked up.

I didn't get a bike for christmas once. I tend to hold a grudge."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
15-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
All hail Joe, god of Penn State, god of Footbal.
He cannot do wrong, for he is a god that walks among mortals.
The institution is more imnportant than stopping the rape of a few childern. No

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
15-07-2012, 08:48 PM
(15-07-2012 06:55 AM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  I'm a Penn State grad, and as many of you who follow the news knows there is a major problem in Penn State land. What I find totally appalling is the total fanaticism that people have regarding the football program and Joe Paterno.

I was kicked out of a Penn State chat site a few days ago because I equated their continued support of Joe Paterno, despite evidence he helped cover up child rape, to the fanaticism of a religious cult.

It seems I was a bit prophetic.
CNN religion blog does equate Penn State and major college football to a religious cult.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/15...enn-state/
So glad you brought this up. Sometimes I think that we have more people indoctrinated into the religion/cult/hierarchical structure of NFL & college football than we do into organized religion.

I enjoy catching my Dolphins & Hurricanes play on the weekends, but for many in my circle of friends and acquaintances, it's the centerpiece of life. It used to be for me as well, so I know full well just how all-encompassing and mind-warping it can be.

Fanaticism takes on many shapes and forms, and all of them are the enemy of free thought.

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
[+] 1 user Likes lightninlives's post